Sign in to follow this  
drumster53

Requesting VatSim learning assistance

Gents and Ladies:

I am an avid flight simmer but have never engaged in team simming.  I have been trying to seriously learn to fly properly using FSX:SE, X-Plane, and P3Dv4 simulators for almost a year and now wish to expand my experiences.  I am interested in learning the VatSim environment.  I have been trying to learn more about it and how to operate in the environment but am having a difficult time of it.  I would like to ask if there is an experienced VatSimmer who could walk me through the process for operating my sim aircraft within that environment.  I am a visual learner; I can read the reams of instructive documentation until I'm dead but need to see the simple Step 1, Step 2, etc. process demonstrated to lock in what I should be doing.  The YouTube videos I have found are not that helpful, unless someone can recommend THE vid I should watch.  If a sim pilot here has the time and patience to work with an older guy just aching to get involved, please drop me a line via this forum and I will contact you.

I thank you!

Scott Smith

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The key thing is understanding air traffic control because what it really comes down to is pilots and air traffic controllers interacting with each other. If you know how to fly the plane and you know about air traffic control communications, you've already gotten most of it figured out. The only thing left would be the flight planning.

• Like 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Hi Scott,

Have you tried looking for a VATSIM Approved Training Organisation (ATO)?

These are organisations approved by VATSIM to provide training toward the VATSIM pilot ratings. They (at least the good ones!) will have well-designed courses that are more than just a stack of documents to read, and live instructor support so someone will be able to help you one on one, and you'll get a rating out of it as well.

http://ptd.vatsim.net/atos for a list of current ones.

• Like 1