Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

Orbx Central 4 always online ....?

Just came across this :

https://simmershome.de/was-orbx-central-noch-so-alles-macht/

Anyone could verify this ?

I do not have it installed yet. 

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I did not verify it, but according to the description of Rainer it seems to be very likely like he wrote. Basically, I do not have a problem with ORBX Central being online, what I really do not like is the "fact" that those three .exe files maintain the connection even after ORBX Central was closed. I opened a thread to ask the devs about the findings on simmershome over at the ORBX forums, lets see what I get as response...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I've just trawled through the Task Manager and all it's nooks and crannies but no sign of Orbx Central until I start it up. But three instances remain even after OC has been closed. 1984 and all that. You can't take a dump without the internet knowing these days. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

There is an option in 'Settings'  'my account' to log out

bob

Hello,

I noticed too that FTX Central minimizes to the system tray instead of closing. I'm not at that computer right now, but I think that there is an option in the settings where you agree to Central going to the system tray, and that option is active by default.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

there is  a  option  to   min or  exit

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Yes. In settings the option is there to minimise or not.

Overall, the new system looks and works excellently. I downloaded the new version and the first time I opened it, it updated itself to the latest version and then proceeded to update 2 of my Orbx programs, install the updates and save backups in the directory I had chosen previously.

There appears to be no need to alter any existing structures unless you wish to. Everything still works as it did.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

49 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

Yes. In settings the option is there to minimise or not.

Overall, the new system looks and works excellently. I downloaded the new version and the first time I opened it, it updated itself to the latest version and then proceeded to update 2 of my Orbx programs, install the updates and save backups in the directory I had chosen previously.

There appears to be no need to alter any existing structures unless you wish to. Everything still works as it did.

yep   same  as  you  had  no  issues  at all  didn't  change  anything

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

2 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

I've just trawled through the Task Manager and all it's nooks and crannies but no sign of Orbx Central until I start it up. But three instances remain even after OC has been closed. 1984 and all that. You can't take a dump without the internet knowing these days. :rolleyes:

Hello Ron and Gerard,

conspiracy theories are much more fun than facts.

There is a tick box.

1.jpg

Cunningly,

If it set like this, it does not start with Windows and when closed, it does not continue to run.

A simple test can be carried out on any PC and by anyone.

Orbx Central running

1.jpg

Orbx Central closed

2.jpg

However, to satisfy the conspiracy theorists, another option is possible:

2.jpg

and in this case, fiendishly, it starts with Windows and if closed with the X, it minimises to the system tray and carries on working, hiding itself among any other installed programs that are already there.

Who would have known?

Edited by Reader
  • Like 3

to Reader

🤣🤣🤣

3 because it hurts my ribs so much.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Thank God you came along Reader. I can now sleep at night (and for 20 minutes in the afternoon) 😍

• Like 2

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

2 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

Ok, and you think that you are somewhat representative with 2 (I repeat: two) ORBX products? Of course, with two products, the scenery library order is practically irrelevant, of course with two products, the update process works flawlessly. I think that those BETA tests were performed like this: some beta testers with some products tried the new Central and as it worked, ORBX considered the beta test being successfull.

In reality, most of us have way more than two products. Including global ORBX products such as FTX Global and Vector. And most of us have plenty of other addons mixed with classic and add-on.xml based sceneries. And for those, it does NOT work as it should. Not at all, it results in a utter mess.

And come on: more than 200 threads opened since release all about issues, 4 consecutive patches in 4 days, several times acknowledged by the devs that this and that is not yet working as it should speaks for itself, no? ORBX Central is a mess, a software on a beta status. That it worked out for you is nice, but considering you had two products installed only, this is not much of a surprise...

Happy though that the question about ORBX Central continuing to run in the background is solved. One point off the list, perfect. Thanks for the heads up on this aspect.

Don't get me wrong, I will switch to ORBX Central sooner or later, as it IS the correct approach to finally switch to the add-on.xml based way of scenery installations. But I stick to my opinion that the release was somehow rushed. They should have been waiting some weeks and expand their BETA test a little to avoid this mess...

• Like 3

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I assume that ORBx Central only affects ORBx products in the Scenery Library, or are you saying that it makes a mess of everything?

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yes it does. Currently. And there are already some workarounds popping up in the ORBX forums. I am pretty sure that the devs will solve this specific issue, but it will take some time... The problem: ORBX Central needs to consider all other add-on.xml based sceneries to get the final scenery structure right without messing things up and somehow ORBX Central is not yet capable of doing so or the mixture between classic sceneries and add-on.xml based sceneries leads to the mess some users currently see, especially when using the insertion point option...

I am sure they will get this sorted, but currently you need to be super careful that your scenery library does not end up in a mess...

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

i will definitely wait until all questions are answered!

Edited by holi
  • Upvote 2