Sign in to follow this  
TimothyNathan

Latest Version GTN:failed version (resolved)

Ok so you've reverted to the previous version of the RXP GTN or the GTN Trainer?

Then you've installed the latest RXP GTN v2.5.19.1 isn't it?

And you've installed the latest GTN Trainer distributed with the Trainer installer 2.5.0.0, and installed the latest GTN Database with the trainer installer 2.5.0.0 as well?

Although the plugin reinstalled but the GTN screen was blank, can you cross check the RXP log files report the same versions and are clear of any other error?

Can you also confirm it was blank in the popup window and not just the 3D panel?

I won't worry about the DirectX error when running standalone, this is a no issue when running under our wraps (we take care of this). Nevertheless, there are new drivers it seems there:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/148868/en-us

431.60 23JUL2019

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Finally back at my desk...

Well, the plot thickens:

19/08/14 14:08:57.191 55664 -    ] # rxpGtnSim64.dll version 2.5.17.0
19/08/14 14:08:57.191 55664 INFO ] 
19/08/14 14:09:15.802 55664 WARN ] unknown version: C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Trainers\Packages\GTN\bin (0xce644339 0xdd9b40fe 0 0xbaa0b7d1 0xfe48c6ac 0x4fcd80b6 )
19/08/14 14:09:15.812 55664 ERROR] trainer not found

But this is a screen grab of the directory which seems to be in the right place

I can confirm that it is blank in the popup as well as normal window.

I have followed to the letter the email below from Garmin, except reinstalling Windows.  Please note the very last sentence, where they say it's you, not them 😉

I have shared your feedback with our team, they verified yesterday that the GTN is compatible with a GTX 760 running driver version 25.21.14.2531 on a comparable version of Windows 7.  The code provided in the error message points to a fairly low-level DirectX failure that should be atypical for this environment.  Here are some things we can try to help narrow things down:

GDU 620

Re-run the Trainer Installer from our public download site and install the GDU 620 Trainer.  It uses DirectX in a fashion similar to the GTN.  Please let us know whether an error occurs when attempting to launch this simulator by itself.

Clean Install

This would be similar to the uninstall/reinstall but would help rule out anything that might have been left on the system during previous attempts that could be affecting the application.  Please perform the following steps:

• Uninstall the Garmin Aviation Trainers application.
  • Ensure that following folders have been deleted:
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Trainers
    • C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Garmin\Trainers
    • Any folders under C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Garmin that begin with “Aviation_Trainer_Launcher”
  • Remove the following trainer-specific keys from the Windows Registry by doing the following:
    • From the Start menu, select Run, type “regedit” and click OK.
    • It is recommended that a backup be made before deleting anything:
      • Open the File menu and select “Export…”
      • Under the “Export range” group, select All.
      • Enter a meaningful file name and save it to a known location.
    • Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Garmin and delete the GTN1 key. 
  • Ensure that all other applications that are not part of the Windows operating system are closed, including any that may be running in the System Tray or in the background, if possible. 
  • Reinstall the latest PC Trainer Suite software.
  • Try the GTN again from the Garmin Aviation Trainers launcher.

Reinstall DirectX

Per this Microsoft forum post, it is possible that there may be an issue with the DirectX subsystem of the Windows installation.  It may be worth attempting a reinstall of the DirectX Runtime to see of this would resolve the issue. 

The forum thread points toward some additional troubleshooting steps that could be attempted but may be beyond the scope of what we can provide direct support for, including:

• Running System File Checker to search for and repair any operating system files that may be corrupted.
  • Reinstalling Windows*

*These steps should be considered as an absolute last resort and only if you feel comfortable doing so, but there does appear to be precedent for a reinstallation of Windows resolving the issue.

Please also note the following information about third party applications

Some third party flight simulator adapter applications are known to modify the GTN application memory and its graphics system in ways that could cause issues such as this.  We are unable to provide additional support in cases where these applications are installed on the system and would refer to the third party software vendor for additional support.

Please let me know how it goes,

On 8/15/2019 at 5:03 PM, TimothyNathan said:

Well, the plot thickens:

19/08/14 14:08:57.191 55664 -    ] # rxpGtnSim64.dll version 2.5.17.0

On 8/14/2019 at 10:45 AM, RXP said:

Then you've installed the latest RXP GTN v2.5.19.1 isn't it?

You've installed the latest GTN Trainer 6.62.0.0 included in both the Garmin Trainer Packages 2.4.0.0 and 2.5.0.0, but you're running a RXP GTN version which is anterior and could not possibly 'known' how to manage the latest trainer.

Just install the latest release version:

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

I will try this when I get back, but, to be fair, what I have installed is what is installed when you select “install latest version?”

Maybe you need to check the versioning?

I have installed and re-installed what appears to be the latest version of both your software and Garmin’s many, many times.  I have probably invested 10 to 15 hours on this.

4 hours ago, TimothyNathan said:

re-installed what appears to be the latest version

I guess it only appeared to be!

4 hours ago, TimothyNathan said:

when you select “install latest version?”

In effect, when you do, what is happening next? Let me guide you through very basic troubleshooting:

• The "update notice" window downloads the update? yes, checked.
  • The downloaded update installer is running and prompts you for installation? no.

The downloaded update won't run: it just downloads a compressed archive with the latest e-commerce installers (a .zip file).

Besides, if you have not seen any software installer running after selecting "install latest version" and you've only seen a file downloading, I guess it is safe to say nothing did install isn't it?

I understand the wording "install latest version?" is misleading, but there are other cues you've just missed and the forum is there for it.

Can I be clear about this?

I am not at my desk or my sim (I am spending a week at the biggest and best Arts Festival in the world, at Edinburgh) so forgive me if I get a detail wrong, but from memory:

1) I receive an email saying a new version is available 

2) I dance a little jig, because there is a specific fix in the latest software that I personally requested from Garmin, and specified, and I’d love to try it.

3) From X-Plane, in the GTN section, I click on Update

4) In the update process I check “Check for updates”

5) In the process it says “This is not the latest version, would you like to download it?” I reply yes.

6) After yet another battle with the licence validation server (why, oh why? No other updates demand this) it runs the install and tells me it has succeeded.

7) You are saying that it has actually reinstalled the old version?

If not, forgive me, I am not the brightest or most sophisticated when it comes to these things.

What really confuses me, though, is that during my use over, at a guess, at least six new versions, I have always successfully got the new software with the new features (remember the long discussion about RF Legs?)

I am sure that I have misunderstood something but it all seems a bit odd.

Hi,

This all sounds correct but what is happening between 5) and 6) is key.

What did it download? This shall be the .zip archive with the RXP e-commerce installers isn't?

Then you unzip these and run one of these (750 or 650). When you do, you select the REINSTALL button, browse to your key file and supply its password (or use your registered account) and the e-commerce installer unwraps the RXP software installer and optionally runs it.

Then the RXP software installer checks whether there is a newer Garmin trainer and downloads it if you tell it to do so. Thereafter it resumes and installs the RXP product files.

On my return, I have finally got it working, thank you.

I do hope that you are going to revisit the upgrade process.  To have an installer which, it seems to me, checks for the latest version, downloads the latest version and tells you that the installation is complete but which is actually reinstalling the previous version strikes me as more than perverse.

If that is not what is happening, forgive me, but if it is, I really think that you need a rethink!

Also, in an upgrade I would not expect to have to re-engage with the licensing server.  My time spent on this particular upgrade has split between the failed Garmin installation (which, I think, was just a corrupt download), the failed RXP installation (as above) and the fact that those failures and repetitive reinstalls resulted in my overasking the licence server for new validations, meaning that I had to twice email the e-commerce provider to revalidate the licence.  That was just the cherry on the top of a very frustrating process.

Hi,

I'm glad you've finally sorted this one out in the end. Most of the time it is a smooth process with just a few hops to go through but sometimes it just won't go as planned and this is why there are support forums to assist.

We're continuously enhancing our products and I thank you for your feedback on the update process. Mind you we've chosen to provide the full e-commerce installer instead of incremental updates because experience shows it is less troublesome overall for most our customers.