Sign in to follow this  
barramundilure

Simaddons Canada Scenery

Hi does anyone know what these scenery packages are like? I am looking for Kolowna in BC in particular and see it’s really the only one available with it. It also has a number of other useful ones like CYEG if they are any good...

Any information about these ones would be helpful.

cheers

Regards

Barra

i7 7700K, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, GTX1070 OC 8GB, 1TB Samsung SSD for OS and P3D4.4, W10 64Bit, Corsair H115i Water Cooling

They are just ok.

A step above freeware, a leap bellow flightbeam...

If you are interested on a particular airport go for it. It will be well represented. 

I bought my packages over a sale and that helped. The price was closer to the quality.

Simaddons did a lot for Canadian flight simmers and covered a market that nobody else considered. When Ralph (the developer) started this around 2010 or so, his Halifax scenery was top notch. However, since the Canadian market is so small, there has not been a lot of re-development.

I own all of his sceneries and still enjoy flying to it. Wolf0 summarized it correctly: nowadays, Simaddons sceneries are still precise, but they cannot compete with more recent developments from top groups. 

I see that Simaddons has currently a sale, and the package with Kelowna also contains Castlegar, which has a really challenging approach. These two should keep you busy 🙂

Peter

I have been using these sceneries for years and been very happy with them. I think the balance of complexity of them and resulting performance works great. Till retirement a few years ago I flew into more than a few of Ralph's sceneries and I can attest to their accuracy. If you are looking for P3d Canadian sceneries these are hard to beat. Definitely worth adding to your P3d scenery library.

Dave

I too own them.

Does anyone of you have SODE configs for the major airports?

Kind Regards 

Patrick

22 hours ago, PatC said:

I too own them.

Does anyone of you have SODE configs for the major airports?

Kind Regards 

Patrick

Bump! Id like them too if anyone has them.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

On 8/12/2019 at 7:12 AM, barramundilure said:

Hi does anyone know what these scenery packages are like? I am looking for Kolowna in BC in particular and see it’s really the only one available with it. It also has a number of other useful ones like CYEG if they are any good...

Any information about these ones would be helpful.

cheers

What everyone said above, these are reasonable airports and do satisfy many needs for Canadian airports not yet done by other developers and certainly better than freeware.

I still enjoy them! You can and most probably should buy the P3Dv4 group installers.

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

18 hours ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

certainly better than freeware.

Let me be the critical voice here, I've been looking for Canadian sceneries but got sticker shock when the pack came out to $162Cdn on sale. To put that into comparison I just looked at my Orbx history and bought Global Base, Global Europe, Global North America and EU England for $20Cdn less.

I'm sure it's a good product, but it's based on 15 year old studio express, yes it may be better than Freeware but in my opinion it's not worth that sticker. To each it's own but I'd rather put that type of money toward more updated sceneries.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Like other scenery producer's they have sales but when you figure just how many scenerys you are getting for that price literally from coast to coast (it's 8000+ km from coast to coast to drive from one end of Canada to the other). It is a pretty decent deal. Each individual package of regional scenerys has many airports should you want only a particular geographic area of Canada for a fraction of the $162 Cdn (approx $125 US). I'd recommend investigating in more detail for those who like to fly in Canada. The amount of different flights you can do between individual SimAddOn airports is huge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FPStewy said:

Let me be the critical voice here, I've been looking for Canadian sceneries but got sticker shock when the pack came out to $162Cdn on sale. To put that into comparison I just looked at my Orbx history and bought Global Base, Global Europe, Global North America and EU England for $20Cdn less.

I'm sure it's a good product, but it's based on 15 year old studio express, yes it may be better than Freeware but in my opinion it's not worth that sticker. To each it's own but I'd rather put that type of money toward more updated sceneries.

28+ airports, for say $200...is what $7 per airport. Animated. Gate marshaling. Animated winter de icing machines activated when parking in the deicing area, seasonal, includes two city scapes, Edmonton and Calgary cities and all their high rises, I can't agree with the sticker shock issue.

Where in heck can one buy an upgraded airport with all this for one and a half cups of coffee per airport. Or one good beer at a pub.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

2 hours ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

Where in heck can one buy an upgraded airport with all this for one and a half cups of coffee per airport. Or one good beer at a pub.

I'm not saying it's a bad product, I'm sure that it's very good but It's just a choice for those of us on a budget. if you have $5K no problem but let's say you have $162 and have a choice to make.

When Orbx (sale) is on, the airport pack has about 325 airports and about a dozen are in Canada, Orbx has a base scenery for all of North America, with that add zinertek airports for about $15 and the base GSX and you'll still come out in front.

These are all the airports included in Orbx

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pu4f49w55wmr3ko/AABL7CVe4BWfciP1ADvfW3bWa/Global Freeware Airports.xlsx?dl=0

It comes down to how much "immersion" you want and how deep your pockets are. In my humble opinion, with MSFS coming if you're going to have a 15 year old products on sale make it a fire sale.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Orbx has about 12 Canadian airports(if you want to call them airports). Regina might be a fair sized airport but that's it.  I have ORBX and unless you live in Australia don't expect much in the way of airports.

5 minutes ago, jfmitch said:

Orbx has about 12 Canadian airports(if you want to call them airports). Regina might be a fair sized airport but that's it.  I have ORBX and unless you live in Australia don't expect much in the way of airports.

Try this from Simmarket

CYQR Regina International Airport FSX P3D
https://skyvector.com/airport/CYQR/Regina-International-Airport

Wayne Larsen

I've purchased the Western Canada package some time ago for P3Dv4.x but don't use it since 4.4. I will not install it for v5 because I try to stay away from mediocre add-ons. Calgary airport was acceptable but the rest I did not like too much.

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).