Sign in to follow this  
BrettT

Milviz Bush Plane Opinions Sought

As the subject says.  How are these planes?  In particular, I am mostly interested in the flight models.  Everything else I have for GA is pretty much A2A.  If the Milviz flight model (and ground/water/snow model) is top notch then I might be interested in one.  I am secretly hoping that A2A adds a little umph to their Cub during the P3D refresh for it (i.e. perhaps giving some engine options and or high lift kits, etc).  Any input is appreciated.

The Milviz Turbo Otter is a beauty in my opinion. One of the best bush planes out there. No PBR textures but she still looks good. I love the flight model. If you get good at handling her (and not blowing the engine), you can land her just about anywhere anytime. You can also fly over the top of some weather systems as well, or fly under the ceiling with amphibian floats. I have the Beaver as well. Although, I prefer the Otter mostly because she is simply a beast with incredible STOL capability. I also find the cockpit lighting to be fairly good as well. Not A2A (Bonanza) quality but pretty close. The Turbo Otter also has the real glass and light add-on as well--plus the weather radar.

Edited by Ezra
More Information

The DHC 3 is very good. Especially the radial engine sounds. Only flown the float version so far, and it handles ok on the water. Some nice real world features added such as being able to use water rudder as brake, a little speed is required to turn useing the water rudders.

gets airborne by 50 knots light. Then stick and rudder all the way 🙂

Luke Pype

The Turbo Otter is nice, as the previous posters testified. One additional remark: I got the plane because I wanted to have a machine with no GPS and map to navigate the old-fashioned way (VOR/NDB/visual). It turned out that you have to purchase the non-GPS radio stack that is displayed in some of the screen shots. Not a huge investment ($20 or so?), but I found it strange anyway.

Peter

8 minutes ago, qqwertzde said:

The Turbo Otter is nice, as the previous posters testified. One additional remark: I got the plane because I wanted to have a machine with no GPS and map to navigate the old-fashioned way (VOR/NDB/visual). It turned out that you have to purchase the non-GPS radio stack that is displayed in some of the screen shots. Not a huge investment ($20 or so?), but I found it strange anyway.

Peter

wrong post...sorry

Edited by MaDDogz

Luke Pype

I have the Beaver and Turbo Otter.

love them both but the Turbo Otter is my favourite.

I have the beaver and turbo otter, both are great but I enjoy the turbo otter more.  It really keeps you on your toes and I’ve had to make a couple of emergency landings in the bush due to not properly monitoring/managing the engine parameters.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I have the MilViz turbo Otter (DHC3T) and cannot, for the life of me, land on any runway using

tires without bouncing at least once. One bounce will ruin a STOL landing.  Can anyone here 

advise on the correct technique with wheel landings ?

Dave Swigert

WIN 10/  i7-9700K@4.8 GHz/ 32 GB ram/ BENQ BL3200 monitor/ NVIDIA GTX1080 TI video

1 minute ago, Eclex said:

I have the MilViz turbo Otter (DHC3T) and cannot, for the life of me, land on any runway using tires without bouncing at least once. One bounce will ruin a STOL landing.  Can anyone here advise on the correct technique with wheel landings ?

Short version: land at 60mph. Long version:

• Upvote 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

The Milviz Turbo Otter must be 3 pointed when landing to avoid any discernible bounce. Similar to the P-51 mustang in DCS.

Thanks flyers for the tips. We can agree that the Milviz Guide recommendation of 80 MPH final speed

is incorrect.

Dave Swigert

WIN 10/  i7-9700K@4.8 GHz/ 32 GB ram/ BENQ BL3200 monitor/ NVIDIA GTX1080 TI video

Thanks guys.....I may try one of these out in the near future.  Looks like they have a good selection, DHC-3, DHC-2, Porter.