Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

Autogen Draw Distance just drops fps - any solutions?

Hi,

So, I have a pretty beefy system (even though it is few years old) - i7-5820K OC 4.5Ghz with 2070-Super and with 16GB DDR4 Ram - running on 4K

Does Prepar3d 4.5HF1 do something strange with Autogen Draw Distance? if I just increase this slider from default medium to High - I lose around 10 fps approx right of the bat - this is even with Trees and Buildings set to Normal (default values).

Now if Leave Auto gen Draw Distance to default and load up (pretty much maximize it) the trees and building autogen, My FPS drop is hardly noticeable.

Could the issues be related that I am on 4K resolution?

This is with No addons - running bare p3d4.5hf1

I Hope LM can release HF2.  They released hotfix 1, hopefully hotfix 2 is close by lol 🤣  

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Autogen along with Airborne/Road traffic AI are the biggest FPS eaters. Turn off Traffic and see what happens with the auto-gen. You simply can`t have your cake and eat it too in P3D. I know this sounds pessimistic. As much as I love P3D, it`s very nature is bi-polar. It`s the nature of the beast we all relentlessly pursue hoping one day something better will come along.

Cheers. . .Lol.

I have zero traffic AI and zero road traffic right now.

Isn't there a manual tweak to increase autogen draw distance.  Trying to figure that one out too.

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

7 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

isn't there a manual tweak to increase autogen draw distance.  Trying to figure that one out too.

I think the bigger question is, why do you want to increase it?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

What I mean is, are you getting popping and seeing the end of your autogen?

Rhett

The recommendation is to leave this setting on Medium.

If you increase it, you will start to get popping autogen etc.. not worth it!

• Like 1

Bert

15 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

The recommendation is to leave this setting on Medium.

If you increase it, you will start to get popping autogen etc.. not worth it!

Bert is right. Myself, I always have the AG DD at Medium with both AG buildings and trees set to Very High.

No AG popping up 😎

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I agree. Auto-gen best left on medium to never touch again. I have 1080ti, plus 32 MB Ram, 8700K and the auto still "pops" over medium. I have learned to live without it. I also force myself to turn off the FPS counter and just fly now. Full auto-gen is for "screen-shot" artists.

Edited by Ezra
  • Upvote 1

I have mine set to Medium, and I don't see the end of the autogen.  That would make a nice realistic screenshot.  Not this 50 nm low-level visibility I've seen people use in their sim.

Rhett

I found auto-gen at medium best around some airports because if you have it set larger you are more apt to get those tree-guardians at both ends of runways at the lesser airports. I don't miss anything from the higher settings.  

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's