Sign in to follow this  
forshaw

FrameRate Limiter value in FSX App/Graphics vs NVI

Hello Folks;

I am trying to get a clarification on this. Should the FrameRate limiter still be set in both FSX app (graphic sections slider) and also in the NVI "Frame Rate limiter?

The DX10 Fixer document stated for example; 60Hz monitor should be 31 in NVI and Frame Rate Limiter 30 in FSX and of course 1/2 in the Refresh Rate.

However, looking at recent posts you rarely see (actually haven't seen it at all) a value in that field in NVI settings. It's  value is always off, the value set in FSX slider (30) and 1/2 refresh in NVI. Maybe those posts are generic and aren't taking DX10 into account hence the reason for off. There are lots of posts out there for NVI settings for FSX Graphics however, lots of them don't tell you if DX10 is included or not.

Another interesting thing I have noticed is my version of NVI has values like (~30FPS or 30FPS Version 2) not like the manual which is just "30" probably because it's an old version..

Any clarification and or input would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest Regards.

Forshaw.  

3 hours ago, forshaw said:

60Hz monitor should be 31 in NVI

DX10 Fixer suggesting changing the 60Hz refresh rate to 30.  FPS is only set in FSX.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

2 hours ago, Jim Young said:

DX10 Fixer suggesting changing the 60Hz refresh rate to 30.  FPS is only set in FSX.

Hi Jim;

Thanks for your response and understood. I guess the confusion on my part was that it is actually called "Frame Rate Limiter" in DX10 manual and NVI, not refresh rate. Vertical Sync is where the Refresh Rate is selected, which is 1/2.

Thanks again.

Forshaw.

See AVSIM FSX Basic Configuration Guide for some suggested settings.  Link in my signature. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

You could also try the NZ DX10 guide here. There are some good explanations and guides in it.

Peronally, I’ve found it very useful and following its guidance I have a really nice simming setup.

Best regards

Rupert

@Rupert, thanks for your response. Yes i have used the guide since it came out 2014, my question was more around changes that came out since then that my have rendered some of the changes obsolete. My rig has since been replaced  IMHO I think the only settings in NVI that really affect DX10 are, Antialiasing (Sparse Grid Supersampling) and things Anisotropic Filtering all the other are FSX in general for tweaking.

Again, I am good, my rig runs pretty well I was just inquiring about updates referring to DX10 in NVI since it has been awhile. 

One interesting point I wanted to add is that a lot of those suggestions in the document actually don't make a difference to my performance. Every system is different and also my rig has been replaced with more powerful CPU and GPU since then.

@Jim, Thanks for referencing your document and I am well aware of it and used it (and still do) on numerous occasions with great success. So basically I am doing ok I was just playing around to see if anything changed that I can take advantage of. It's always good to revisit tweaks to see if anything changed than can make a difference.

Actually a good example of a change that doesn't affect me is AffinityMask, Regardless of what I add (from all of the different documents) it doesn't increase or decrease my performance in any way. My CPU is an i7-4790K 4.0GHz 8MB OC to 4.4 with no HT, So yes I have been keeping to up to date.

Thanks again Jim and Rupert for providing me with information and feedback,I appreciate it.

Kindest Regards.

Forshaw.