Sign in to follow this  
Hotshotp

Get Xp11 or wait for new MSFS

Hi, I want to get Xp11 very much, but I don't know whether I should get it, or wait for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 which looks amazing. I really want to get xplane, but what do you guys think?

8 minutes ago, mcmini said:

Hi, I want to get Xp11 very much, but I don't know whether I should get it, or wait for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 which looks amazing. I really want to get xplane, but what do you guys think?

It depends on how badly you want to fly. There's no telling when MSFS2020 will be released. XP11 is here now.

• Upvote 1

NAX669.png

Just now, mwilk said:

It depends on how badly you want to fly. There's no telling when MSFS2020 will be released. XP11 is here now.

That really makes me want to get xplane. I just think that the MSFS looks really nice...

Maybe wait for the next Steam sale so you can get it at a lower price. Differently from P3D, you can improve a lot XP for free (or almost). MFS could be more than a year away.

• Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I switched to XP from P3D a couple of months ago and haven't bought a thing, except active sky and xvision.  So much freeware and enjoyment.  While it's far from perfect, I think it's worth getting now while we all wait with baited breath for MSFS2020.  Who knows, maybe Xplane will speed up its pace of development now that there's competition in the air- so win-win for all of us. 

I never thought I would say this but just switched to X-Plane 11 from P3D for the performance and the amount of terrific freeware (especially the Zibo 737). I've added a few payware such as ASXP, X-Vision, X-Crafts ERJ-145, and a few scenery areas. Overall, I am very pleased with XP11 and MSFS20 is a long way off. 

• Like 1

Michael Hutton

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series 64GB | MSI Suprim Liquid GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | WD Blue SN580 M.2 2TB | Samsung SSD 990 Pro 2TB x 2 | Samsung Portable SSD T5 2TB | NZXT C1200 1200W PSU | NZXT H9 Elite Mid-Tower | Windows 11 Pro 64-bit | Allegiant Virtual Airlines

Don't forget that Flight looked really good, and the hype was huge.  Turned out to be disappointing and didn't last long.  Flightsim world looked incredible, and didn't even make it to release. 

Do what many others have done.  Have more than one flight sim and enjoy the benefits of all of them.  No laws or rules against it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Xplane11 is a solid buy, it has never let me down.  I also have P3DV4 and just recently added AeroflyFS2, because I like the latter's fast loading time, superior performance to Xplane11 and P3DV4, and fair depth in their default aircraft.  Aerofly's only failings--you cannot save startup scenarios, it is hard to locate scenery on a place other than Onedrive, you have to hack a file and then the file does not always remember the hack because Aerofly always updates it at the start of a sim session.  AeroflyFS2 also has limited ground lighting, limited airports, and no AI or cloud shadows.

So for me, when push comes to shove, Xplane11 is the best compromise, it has great freeware support, inexpensive payware add-on aircraft support, and if you have an SSD or large hard drive, great support for OrthoXP photo scenery, which is easy to make, other than the time watching it creating all those photo textures.  I have a great but modest suite of Xplane11 add-on aircraft, mainly the Microlights I prefer to fly.  I love Xplane11's support of Autogen overlays over OrthoXP scenery.  Other positives include:

~Great Flight models, free and payware aircraft add-ons

~Detailed VC's

~RealityXP support

~Better default mesh

~Better default landclass

~Good atmospheric rendering

~And, with some free LUA scripts, very realistic cloud shadows (the default shadows don't quite seem dark enough)

It's minuses...

~No Seasonal variation

~Dark contrails on most high flying jets, still not fixed

~Some initial stutters when starting up certain rotorcraft in their 11.35 release

~No Vulkan support, which it sorely needs, as does P3D

~Some challenges with controllers, I have only had good performance with Logitech, I tried Saitek and wasted my money

But my gripes are minor to me, for me it is still the best study level sim out there, especially in its recreation of Microlight and Ultralight flying, which is what I fly in real life..

John

• Like 2

A stupid question. 

no one has or seen the actual MFS no one can tell you. that 1 minute video don't tell you anything.

I would go with XP11 

Edited by HumptyDumpty

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

1 hour ago, HumptyDumpty said:

A stupid question. 

no one has or seen the actual MFS no one can tell you. that 1 minute video don't tell you anything.

I would go with XP11 

Ok, that's a wrap, getting XP. Awesome.

10 hours ago, mcmini said:

I did this. Bought XP11 on sale. Then added some freeware add ons like Ortho scenery. Then I could fly around my home town in scenery that didn't cost anything and which is better than what I have with FSXSE + GEX + UTX. I doubt that MS2020 is going to replace everything I get XP11 FXSSE anytime soon after release. The biggest ??? for MS2020 is what the system requirements are going to be. I doubt my system will be sufficient.

3 hours ago, mcmini said:

Ok, that's a wrap, getting XP. Awesome.

Make sure you install the free!!!!! Zibo 737-800 - works great in VR too.  https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/forum/384-zibo-b738-800-modified/

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/141756-video-tutorials/

Edited by Jude Bradley

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Hi

I have both P3Dv4 and XP11 and I have to admit my flying is almost always in XP11. There are pros and cons (as always) in both sims but I find the quality of the scenery in XP11 is far superior, but with the following caveats 1) I like to flow slow and low  2) I tend to fly mainly in the UK and use ORBX products 3) I'm not bothered by the lack of seasons.

If it's a direct choice between XP11 now or wait for FS2020, then XP11 wins hands down in my opinion. After all, if FS2020 proves to be as wonderful as we may hope for, then you could buy that  when it appears and have the benefit of both sims !!

Pete

I use flight sims to stay in practice when I can't fly the real Cessna 172.  X Plane is far more realistic, more 'fluid', in the replication of the handling characteristics of the C172 than Microsoft Flightsim ever was. MS was like a cartoon in comparison.  Maybe this new offering will have improved, but I wouldn't hang around for it. Add on a VR set and physical yoke & rudder pedals to XP 11 , you're well away............