Sign in to follow this  
Hotshotp

Get Xp11 or wait for new MSFS

XP it's a certainty the upcoming MSFS is a doubt on what is going to be, get XP, its a wordeful simulator and you wont regret.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

On 8/14/2019 at 2:06 PM, petehowell57 said:

Hi

I have both P3Dv4 and XP11 and I have to admit my flying is almost always in XP11. There are pros and cons (as always) in both sims but I find the quality of the scenery in XP11 is far superior, but with the following caveats 1) I like to flow slow and low  2) I tend to fly mainly in the UK and use ORBX products 3) I'm not bothered by the lack of seasons.

If it's a direct choice between XP11 now or wait for FS2020, then XP11 wins hands down in my opinion. After all, if FS2020 proves to be as wonderful as we may hope for, then you could buy that  when it appears and have the benefit of both sims !!

Pete

I think and it's only a presumption on my part but MSFS2020 will be rented i.e. subscription based so that is also something yourself or anyone else considering MSFS2020 at this juncture instead of X-Plane should plan for. I think it's best to wait and see exactly how they will be offering this new sim.

Edited by Glenn_C

Keep in mind X-box and the new MSFS will be at least, perhaps more, kissing cousins.  Microsoft's hole cards are still face down.

There's always something new and shiny just around the corner. Who knows what LM and Laminar Research will have announced by the time FS2020 comes out...Or what new companies might have entered the scene. Besides very little is known about FS2020. The trailer and screenshots actually show very little of substance, and non-cherrypicked areas might look much worse.

I've been a long time P3D user (FSX before that), but X-Plane with OrbX TE and a few basic addons and tweaks is really something special in terms of visuals, performance and immersion.

• Like 1

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

On 8/14/2019 at 2:38 AM, mcmini said:

Ok, that's a wrap, getting XP. Awesome.

Good choice. You can't go wrong, especially if you get XP on sale. I suspect MFS is going to be an outstanding product, but XP is mature and does a lot of things exceedingly well.

Chris

Well, 

as much as it is nice to know FS 2020 will become available, in 2020... I think the question is - until then, if P3D is not an option, or other solution like AEFS2, then why wait for such a long time when we can enjoy what XP11 already offers ?

We already have good helicopters for XP11, some really interesting GA and airliners, etc... 

XP11 is also a lot cheaper to maintain than FSX or P3D in various aspects including, but not only, scenery.

If, for instance, you're interested in learning GPS in GA, you can use the default GNS 430 / 530 which is a very nice rendition of the real Garmin units --> check this manual <-- and it's a LOT cheaper to maintain up-2-date using for instance Navigraph then either RealityXP or Mindstar offers for XP/P3D /FSX...

Honestly, XP11 is the way to go, at least for now and specially if you already own P3D and can use that one for specific aircraft add-ons.

Edited by jcomm
typos

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

On 8/13/2019 at 11:41 PM, mcmini said:

Hi, I want to get Xp11 very much, but I don't know whether I should get it, or wait for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 which looks amazing. I really want to get xplane, but what do you guys think?

Well have both P3Dv4.x  and Xplane 11 the latter since TBM-900 and ASXP and TE series and P2ATC changed my flight time more in XP nowadays.

Never liked the default stuff in both...

As for MS2020 I will wait and see and now enjoy the virtual skies in both...

• Like 2

André

Subscriptions look cheap untill you realize you having 15 of them and money is disappearing out of  your acct, and than where will the developers go, FSx will surely finally be put to rest, i guess we wait and see, especially for those who have slow internet connections??

On 8/23/2019 at 8:13 AM, mjrhealth said:

Subscriptions look cheap untill you realize you having 15 of them and money is disappearing out of  your acct, and than where will the developers go

Indeed, I noticed this the other day on just how much cash I'm haemorrhaging on subscriptions bothh personally and for my business. e.g. P3D developer, Netflix, Amazon, Spotify, PilotEdge, Photoshop, Substance Painter, SkyDaemon, News sites, IDE subscription, texture site subscriptions etc.... it all adds up very quickly and at some point something has got to give.  It's only going to get worse as more and more products become cloud-based.

How long is it going to be before we have to pay monthly for a weather-based service in the sim?

The xbox deal for Microsoft's games is a good one, but only if you are actually interested in any of their other games. At least it's been confirmed that their sim will work offline and degrade to landclass, but would you really want to fly over default landclass when everyone else has that nice shiny scenery 😛. What happens when the sim is no longer profitable for Microsoft, will it just stop working? They don't exactly have a great track-record in the past.

Anyway, at least for X-Plane, your small investment will go a long way. X-Plane releases last years and often have several major updates for free. We only have an inkling of what may be in X-Plane 12 but I'm sure they've taken notice of the competition now and they're absolutely not sitting still. There are also many of us who don't like or want to use Windows 10 and X-Plane also is multi-platform which is a huge plus to me.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, tonywob said:

There are also many of us who don't like or want to use Windows 10

You must be old and cynical like me. nothing in this world is free there is always a catch.

It's helpful and good to read about Prepar3D owners have moved to XP-11 and are happy for it. My only current GA flight sim is MSX:SE and I'm looking to upgrade to XP-11 or P3D. TBH, while I've got many hours of fun flying FSX and FS2004 before it, I'm not prepared to hold my breath for MFS2020. I've been disappointed too many times with flightsims that are in the pipe and just because MS is behind it with loads of $ doesn't mean I'm convinced.

My biggest problem is that my gaming rig is long-in-the-tooth; was only a well spec'd PC around 2013. It runs FSX:SE very well with Active sky and default terrain, but I've had to tweak and make compromises for continents where I have Ultimate Terrain X coverage. I've tried the XP-11 demo and for the most part it ran decently; I'm guessing & hoping the final product is a bit more optimized that the demo. Without a demo for P3D, I have no idea how it would run on my PC and $200 US is a lot to spend for something that could prove to demanding. On the other hand P3D lets me reuse my UTX terrain and some of the FSX aircraft I've purchased, so it has some attraction.

I'm curious to hear from those that moved from P3D to XP-11 what the difference in performance is like?

I moved from p3d to xplane and the performance was better for me. I have a lower spec pc like you - i5 3570k at 4.4ghz and a 970 GC card. On p3d I used default scenery with the aerosoft a320 with settings two thirds across to the right and got 20fps. With xplane I use the zibo, the default airports are way more detailed than p3d and I have everything cranked two thirds across to the right and get 20-30fps so its better performance and better graphics. Other than in overcast clouds I always get smooth frame rates unlike in p3d where I would get occasional stutters and that's something considering the lighting is  better and the airports are way more detailed in xplane and more cars on the roads.

2 hours ago, Kronovan said:

I've tried the XP-11 demo and for the most part it ran decently; I'm guessing & hoping the final product is a bit more optimized that the demo.

The XP11 demo is exactly the same as the current release version, which is why it's a good stress test to see how your rig handles it.

One thing to keep in mind is that the KSEA airport and nearby downtown Seattle in the demo will put a fairly heavy load on your system. There are other places where your FPS will be higher. 

To find your ideal settings, start by turning off shadows on scenery, use the lowest setting for Reflection Detail, and start with very low settings for Visual Effects, Texture Quality, Antialiasing, and World Objects.

You can run the timed demo as many times as you want while experimenting with slowly raising some of those settings to see what your system balance is for eye candy vs. frame rate. Also try some of the weather settings, because more cloud layers will usually reduce the frame rate.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

After having watched Austin's video about the new FDM features for 11.40, I'm sure going for XP11 can not mean going wrong.

That doesn't mean FS2020 isn't Great News, but, just like Austin pointed out, they're different sims, aimed at different wants, and although I have a serious blockage in my mind regarding using more than one flight simulator, and even more problematic when their types overlap, I can perfectly understand others who say - use both.

Of course each time new features are introduced, like the new propwash model that gave rise to that "use experimental flight model" option in XP11, aircraft designed for the standard model will probably have problems, developers will complaint about the "instability" of the development cycle, and on and on... but it's X-Plane, so, for teh good and for the "bad" you have to accept the not so good stuff in oreder to be able to profit from it's musts...

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...