Sign in to follow this  
Hotshotp

Get Xp11 or wait for new MSFS

58 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

I agree here.

To me, X-plane waited too long to make any serious advances to address some of the longstanding issues (like weather, clouds).

FloogleSim's YT vid has almost 1M views for his preview of MSFS, IGN's 3 minute vid has over 500k views. There are so many people who are just blown away by what MSFS is bringing to the table, and the $$$ potential will call the 3P DEVS for aircraft and airports.

I think that the Devs will abandon XP along with the users. Vulkan isn't out yet, and MSFS is due to release the Alpha soon, which will cause more of a buzz.

I think that XP will end with Vulkan (no XP12), and LR will just focus on the mobile app.

I would not buy XP at this moment, and save the money (for all of the addons that XP needs) to go towards MSFS, PC build etc.

Lol, 

XP will continue , they will lose many users , but i have always thought any flight simmer won't use a single sim. XP will be there. They are concerned , yes who wouldn't , but will XP die really don't think. 

I wouldn't bet on a viewer TRP of Froogles and IGN , same happens when any new sim / game is launched.  

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Microsoft Flight announced...

"Microsoft Flight looks incredible.  X-Plane is in serious trouble!"

P3D announced...
"Microsoft sells their flight sim to Lockheed Martin.  Massive budget.  X-Plane is in serious trouble!"

FlightSim World announced...

"This sim is seriously looking good.  X-Plane is in serious trouble!"

FS2020 announced...

"X-Plane is in serious trouble!  X-Plane will stop with X-Plane 11 and they'll focus on the app."

The common theme in all those statements?  Nothing but speculation from those who have no clue what is going on behind closed doors.  X-Plane developers have a direct line to the Laminar team, and we are constantly providing input for what we would like from the sim and any extra tools we could use.  And they always listen.  

Austin Meyer was told from the early days, he can't possibly compete with a multi billion dollar corporation like Microsoft, and X-Plane will never succeed.  And yet he is still here.  Him and his team of 10-15 staff.  

When I heard from a streamer that he was testing FS2020 on an i9 9900K, 32GB RAM and a 2080ti, and only getting 40-50 fps flying a default single engine GA, it was me who thought the 3rd party developers of FS2020 will be in serious trouble.  
X-Plane isn't going anywhere.  I know some people might WANT X-Plane to die a quick death, but it's not happening unless Austin lets it happen.  And he's not slowing down any time soon.

For years, the X-Plane community have been telling those wanting to "switch" to X-Plane, that there is no need to "switch".  Have both sims installed.  They both have plenty to offer.  Whatever FS2020 offers, it comes down to competition.  And competition is good for the community.  I prefer to have a choice between sims.  

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GoranM said:

Microsoft Flight announced...

"Microsoft Flight looks incredible.  X-Plane is in serious trouble!"

P3D announced...
"Microsoft sells their flight sim to Lockheed Martin.  Massive budget.  X-Plane is in serious trouble!"

FlightSim World announced...

"This sim is seriously looking good.  X-Plane is in serious trouble!"

FS2020 announced...

"X-Plane is in serious trouble!  X-Plane will stop with X-Plane 11 and they'll focus on the app."

The common theme in all those statements?  Nothing but speculation from those who have no clue what is going on behind closed doors.  X-Plane developers have a direct line to the Laminar team, and we are constantly providing input for what we would like from the sim and any extra tools we could use.  And they always listen.  

Austin Meyer was told from the early days, he can't possibly compete with a multi billion dollar corporation like Microsoft, and X-Plane will never succeed.  And yet he is still here.  Him and his team of 10-15 staff.  

When I heard from a streamer that he was testing FS2020 on an i9 9900K, 32GB RAM and a 2080ti, and only getting 40-50 fps flying a default single engine GA, it was me who thought the 3rd party developers of FS2020 will be in serious trouble.  
X-Plane isn't going anywhere.  I know some people might WANT X-Plane to die a quick death, but it's not happening unless Austin lets it happen.  And he's not slowing down any time soon.

For years, the X-Plane community have been telling those wanting to "switch" to X-Plane, that there is no need to "switch".  Have both sims installed.  They both have plenty to offer.  Whatever FS2020 offers, it comes down to competition.  And competition is good for the community.  I prefer to have a choice between sims.  

I never thought I'd say this, as like you said others have over hyped, but from the get go we knew MS Flight! was going to be an Arcade Game, FSW was way to far behind to be seriously competitive and P3D was on Par with X-Plane so they could easily co-exist. FS2020 though based on what they already shown us and the unanimous favorable reports from those lucky to have seen it up close, this one though I think is going to finally break the mold and become the fastest adopted sim in FlightSim history. It truly looks like the real game changer we all been looking for. (It may even finally  get Youtube's FS2004 die hard Edetroit  to switch from FS2004🤣)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I've spoken to 2 streamers who tested the pre alpha build of FS2020.  They were under strict instructions to not film anything outside of Seattle (why??).  The hardware required to run it tells me 1 of 2 things.  Either the code is seriously unoptimized (40-50 fps for a default single engine GA on top of the line hardware) or all sliders are maxed out to give the best image quality possible for promo purposes.  

I won't deny the scenery looks absolutely mint!  But software is ever evolving.  It's great they're coming out with this new, "revolutionary" type of platform (scenery streaming), but I've noticed public opinion has been very divided on that concept.  X-Plane will also evolve.  It always has.  The next step for Laminar is implementing Vulkan, which will improve performance.  Looking at the differences between XP9 and 10, and then 10-11, I can only imagine what XP12 will bring.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, tf51d said:

Ihink is going to finally break the mold and become the fastest adopted sim in FlightSim history

I agree. XP better improve some key aspects. It won't disappear otherwise, just step back to where it had been until XP10 and before. Which also means less 3rd parties developing for it.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

7 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Lol, 

XP will continue , they will lose many users , but i have always thought any flight simmer won't use a single sim. XP will be there. They are concerned , yes who wouldn't , but will XP die really don't think. 

I wouldn't bet on a viewer TRP of Froogles and IGN , same happens when any new sim / game is launched.  

Time will tell, but the YT stats was just an example of the popularity of MSFS.

X-Plane would not survive without 3P DEVS, the community making airports, and Freeware (Ortho, extended light, water fix, etc.) As a bare flight sim, it lacks in many areas.

MSFS has core features at a level that X-plane still can't reach with the best of addons.

I am betting on the what MSFS has to offer (a real world vs a plausible world, 32 cloud layers to the horizon vs a circle of clouds around the plane), and where 3P Devs will most likely spend their time / effort given the consumer potential already shown in viewership of said YT videos.

Buying X-plane + Addons now is a waste of money when considering that one can get so much more with MSFS vs. the little development in XP over the years.

37 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

I am betting on the what MSFS has to offer (a real world vs a plausible world, 32 cloud layers to the horizon vs a circle of clouds around the plane),

According to the latest Laminar blog updates, the main focus at the momemen is Vulkan transition. This is a foundation to all future updates.

Once Vulkan is out the door, that all changes. We have a number of fundamental changes we want to make to how we deal with light, with the atmosphere, with color, and with organizing our frame. Once we have Vulkan, we get to use it as our foundation for what comes next.

It probably will be a slow process though, unless they hire more staff, imo.

Edited by Arasaka
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

Time will tell, but the YT stats was just an example of the popularity of MSFS.

X-Plane would not survive without 3P DEVS, the community making airports, and Freeware (Ortho, extended light, water fix, etc.) As a bare flight sim, it lacks in many areas.

MSFS has core features at a level that X-plane still can't reach with the best of addons.

I am betting on the what MSFS has to offer (a real world vs a plausible world, 32 cloud layers to the horizon vs a circle of clouds around the plane), and where 3P Devs will most likely spend their time / effort given the consumer potential already shown in viewership of said YT videos.

Buying X-plane + Addons now is a waste of money when considering that one can get so much more with MSFS vs. the little development in XP over the years.

yes time will tell i agree.

XP survived even earlier without much 3pds,  no sim is or will be perfect

MFS has tremendous resources to put together what is seen in the videos, in that department XP can't compete, no one knows the cost involved or the  number of devs etc.. involved in MFS i would say 100's and too many millions , LR does not have that, but if you look at XP from XP10 to XP11 it has a very big hit , vulkan transition is what is needed and move on from there , i would like to know what are those core features ?

This is what makes users / simmers think if they should purchase anymore addons / modules for the sim.

"Buying X-plane + Addons now is a waste of money when considering that one can get so much more with MSFS vs. the little development in XP over the years."

But again it's a personal preference , would i wait one more year for MFS and not use XP at all , well no chance. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There is no way FS2020 will make scenery developers obsolete.  That would be extremely irresponsible of the sim devs.  But we'll see.  

To anybody threatening to "leave for FS20 unless Laminar [yadda, yadda]": I'll help you packing. Can I have your payware?

Edited by Bjoern
  • Like 2

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

16 minutes ago, Bjoern said:

To anybody threatening to "leave for FS20 unless Laminar [yadda, yadda]": I'll help you packing. Can I have your payware?

😀

2 hours ago, FlyBaby said:

The only "core feature" I've seen so far that's better is the scenery engine, and there are still many unanswered questions. Like, what does it look like away from cities where they have photogrammetry data? Can they pull off that scenery modeling without noticeable artifacts like pop-in? There is significant pop-in in the latest videos, which doesn't matter in an Alpha or Beta, but it can't ship that way. We still know basically nothing about the weather engine except that it looks pretty. We don't know how fat an Internet pipe you need to get full scenery eye candy.

And they haven't shown a single helicopter, while XP11 has the best helicopter flight modeling of any civilian sim. It will also be interesting to see if they can match the current turboprop engine modeling in XP11. 

I will buy the new MSFS because I want to see it in action. I'm just amazed at how many assumptions are being made about the future of XP vs. MSFS based on so little real information about this new sim, other than it looks pretty. If the simulation team is as good as the marketing team, it should be a fantastic sim! But we don't know that yet, which makes it kinda silly to predict the fate of X-Plane, in my opinion.

• Like 4

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

12 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

The only "core feature" I've seen so far that's better is the scenery engine,

You might want to check out the clouds, weather and atmosphere, and LOD. The reviewers highlight other areas as well.

So far, i count air, land and sea....

Edited by FlyBaby
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

You might want to check out the clouds, weather and atmosphere, and LOD. The reviewers highlight other areas as well.

So far, i count air, land and sea....

fair enough , i have seen those. and also viewed that small interview where a bearded developer or some gave the insights to the weather and stuff. It's cool really.

But my thinking is just one , why is everyone comparing a highly financed and man powered product to a tiny less resourced product ! that's all. to me personally it makes no sense. 

But the roadmap recently put by LR is something i am looking forward to although they never complete what they say, and this what might hit them if they continue on the same path. 

55 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

You might want to check out the clouds, weather and atmosphere, and LOD. 

All I've seen so far is pretty scattered cumulus that looks "volumetric," which is good, but we can get that in XP11 too. One reason those clouds look so good is that the scenes in the screen shots and videos are very carefully selected for good lighting angles. We've seen a very impressive rendering of a towering CB in the initial reveal video, but we have no idea if that's a moving, discrete 3D object with internal convection, or a static 2D image.

My point is that we don't know how dynamic the weather is yet. We won't know until people are able to fly the sim and evaluate the weather, including all the extremes.

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor