Sign in to follow this  
cepact

space simulation

I think it would be nice to have a hollistic physics engine that takes into account space, juste like in kerbal space program. We should be able to orbit the earth, do atmospheric entries etc. 

it may also give the possibility to the platform one day to add other planets and do space travel

Edited by cepact
  • Upvote 2

I do love space simulators and of course rocket launches! However, I agree this should not be one.

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

What I don't understand is, once you have a physics engine that is based on gravity and atmospheric density, shouldn't orbital dynamics naturally be possible without adding extra code ?

If it can be done eventually w/o adversely affecting development time or performance too much then I see no harm. Its inevitable at some point anyway. Todays sims already give us somewhat of a orbital effect to a degree anyway. 

Outright (no thought out reason) opposition to this could eventually be holding us back (like that absolutely stupid 32 bit OOM blunder/disaster) from realism that could be necessary to keep up with reality, i.e. planes that actually fly in low Earth orbit as a normal routine. MSFS may as well be ready sooner than too late (like 64 bit was way too late!!), and we have to wait years to simulate a routine Boeing 7007 Space Liner London to Auckland in 3 hours.🤯😃

SubLogic UFO and MS Space Sim come to mind, I still run them from time to time.🤓🛸🛰️ 😂

27 minutes ago, cepact said:

What I don't understand is, once you have a physics engine that is based on gravity and atmospheric density, shouldn't orbital dynamics naturally be possible without adding extra code ?

I'm not 100% sure, but MSFS could use a "flat earth" model for internal physics calculations which do not allow orbital mechanics. But I could be wrong.

Edited by Murmur

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

You can't simulate classic flights like the X-15 or space shuttle reentry without a high atmosphere and orbital dynamics model. But I hope it doesn't go too far. MS will have enough on its plate as it is. Let's just hope the flight model doesn't lock it out. 

We don't need to simulate the Saturn V launch to the moon. Other programs do that well enough.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

This is not even remotely related to the Microsoft Flight Simulator forum. 

Moving to the appropriate forum. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

1 hour ago, 188AHC said:

This is not even remotely related to the Microsoft Flight Simulator forum. 

Rick I have to disagree.

I (and I'm pretty sure the OP too) understand planetary travel is not the scope of a flight sim, but the OP was talking about future possibilities.

How do we know that in 3-10 years MSFS could not become an aeronautics and space simulation. With 5G (a whole new level of "existence") on the horizon, maybe the galaxy will be simulated and yet the details down to Earth are very complete.

P3D is/was not "censored" (unsure of a more proper term) because it has Bathymetry (nothing to do with aviation). Available but not infringing, no harm to any aviator.  

Maybe not immediately/presently, but its thoughts like this (yours and others here in this specific case) that keep flight simulation held back(wards). I would recommend you think about where real aviation is going. Even a heavy loaded long range 787 flight shoots all the way to FL400 from the start....unheard of until recently, and cruise levels will get higher, likely sooner than you/we think/know.

Given these reasons, this is one of those topic/feedback items that could at least be put on a MSFS (they say they are reading) back burner of sorts....no harm. But to cast away this topic to "outer darkness" is an unnecessary "kick in the teeth".🙂

Thanks for any consideration.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, cepact said:

I think it would be nice to have a hollistic physics engine that takes into account space, juste like in kerbal space program. We should be able to orbit the earth, do atmospheric entries etc. 

it may also give the possibility to the platform one day to add other planets and do space travel

Meanwhile this one could be a good option:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/882140/Reentry__An_Orbital_Simulator/

6 hours ago, pedrotrindade said:

Meanwhile this one could be a good option:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/882140/Reentry__An_Orbital_Simulator/

Space Engine is also a very good option for those who would like to simulate "warp 100" travel to "billions" of galaxies, that have billions of stars, which have procedural planets, moons, asteroids etc.

Likely quadrillions of destinations.😵  

ORBITER is an excellent Newtonian physics spaceflight sim.. and it's also free.

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)