Sign in to follow this  
nas123

AMD Navi grapich card for MSFS

I have been using Nvidia cards for my flightsim rigs( GTX270- GTX570 - GTX780 -GTX1070).

Now I am in process of updating my PC to get the best "flying" experience with the new MSFS.

The natural thing for me is to get a RTX 1070 Super card, based on my Nvidia experience. 

AS the next XBOX coming in 2020 with AMD Navi based grapich, I guess it is time to switch from Nvidia and invest in an AMD Navi for the PC.

Why? Because MSFS will be optimized for the AMD Navi to make a smooth transition to XBOX later.

Your thoughs?

Edited by nas123

I am no expert but I suggest you wait until you have solid information from Microsoft about the product. No rush 😉

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, nas123 said:

Now I am in process of updating my PC to get the best "flying" experience with the new MSFS.

Er... you must be joking, right...? If you want to update your PC for MSFS wait until it has been released! I also wouldn't wait for information from MS because required specs on paper seldom equal required specs in actual use. So wait until MSFS has been released, read the reviews and experiences and THEN upgrade your PC. Upgrading now is a bit ridiculous because 1. no one knows the requirements yet and 2. by the time MSFS has been released there will be new and better hardware for anything you would buy know. Upgrading your PC now for MSFS is like throwing away money. 

Edited by Reader

Upgrading your pc right now for something that will be released next year is a big no. Wait and watch is what you should be doing right now. Next year you might be able to get your hands on better hardware for the same price.

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

If Flight Simulator 365 from MS would be release right now, I highly doubt that it would be slower than any other sims out right now, any upgrade you make now will only benefit your gaming experience across the board and yes even in other flight sims.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

I wouldn't make a GPU choice based on what's in the upcoming Xbox. Microsoft chooses the console GPU for many reasons, like cost in volume, dependable supply chain, etc. Not just performance. For the PC version of the new MSFS, I'm sure Microsoft is aware of the usage numbers in the "gaming" market.

For example, here is the current data from the automated X-Plane usage survey for GPU cards:

Nvidia  67.6 %
AMD    17.9 %
Intel     14.4 %

Here's the Steam usage data for July 2019 in their automated survey: 

Nvidia  75.5 %
AMD    14.7 %
Intel       9.7 %

In my experience both gaming and with flight sims, Nvidia has always had more stable drivers and better support from game and flight sim developers, which is reflected in the user numbers above. AMD has some impressive new GPUs but they're still playing catch-up for dependable drivers and game developer support.

Microsoft knows this, and they can read the Steam survey as well as anyone else. So I don't think they're going to design a flight sim that runs better on AMD cards. It needs to run as well, or preferably even better than current PC sims and games where the majority of users have Nvidia GPUs. 

So go ahead and get that RTX 1070 Super. 🙂 That's the one I'm thinking about now, to replace my GTX 970.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Yes you should wait. AMD cards tend to perform better in dx12 (and Vulkan). It is possible that MFS will perform better on AMD cards, no one knows today. So, wait.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]