Sign in to follow this  
SergioCosta

The helicopter thread

2 minutes ago, Sean H said:

P.S. thankyou Sergio and others for supporting the helicopters simmers, we love you.

Awwwwww man... Thank you so much. I love you guys as well. Thank you for being "out there" 🙂

logo-helisimmer-color.png

HeliSimmer.com editor and founder
www.helisimmer.com

13 minutes ago, SergioCosta said:

Awwwwww man... Thank you so much. I love you guys as well. Thank you for being "out there" 🙂

You do realize that we do have a Rotorhead forum on Avsim, don't you?  Perhaps you and some of the other rotor wing aficionados could be more active there too.

I too am looking forward to a usable variety of helicopters in the new MSFS. FSX had sling loading in one mission but it was a nightmare with faulty flight dynamics. and poor flight modeling. I'm hoping for more accuracy to come. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

2 minutes ago, 188AHC said:

You do realize that we do have a Rotorhead forum on Avsim, don't you?

I am, yes. I wanted this thread to be specific for Microsoft Flight Simulator, though. I hope that's OK.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

www.helisimmer.com

4 minutes ago, SergioCosta said:

I am, yes. I wanted this thread to be specific for Microsoft Flight Simulator, though. I hope that's OK.

Sure it is ok. I was just mentioning the forum in case you didn't know about it.

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

If helicopters are modelled like X-plane or DCS I would move over very quickly - no support and you'd never get me there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

DCS and XP use very distinct approaches to model rotary wing.

MSFS started introduced  "specific" rotary wing records in fs2004 / fs9, although helicopters started before in the MSFS franchise using a "flap exploit" :-)

But! DODOSIM has made for fs9, then fsx, and now is working or a P3Dv4 version, a Bell 206 that is certainly not behind what either XP or DCS. Of course it uses an "external" FDM, just like some well known fixed wing products such as the Q-400 and the FSLabs A319/20.

I don't think MSFS 2020 will introduce a new rotary wing flight model, but we will find soon if it actually does.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

+1  As the FDE author / coder / modeller of the MV-B407 I cant agree more with the requested  features, Working with the currently supported helo flight model one is required to hack and backdoor much of what one expects from choppers , recently Milviz went so far as to add a module to run outside the sim to hack / control the flight dynamics still further.

It would be a pleasure to see turbine engines better represented as well as Rotary flight , developers have come up with the codebase needed to generate both  ,  it is my ardent hope that MS makes use of these advances . its all a question of communication . 

Best CJ

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Yeah I'd love for FS2020 to model helicopters thoroughly.  I don't fly them much in P3D because they just feel crappy, DCS does a much better job but I really just want a good civilian heli sim.

I think it was telling that Eagle Dynamics released Black Shark as one of the first study sim aircraft in DCS World. Eagle Dynamics noted for the physic modelling wanted to make a statement that they were serious about rotary and fixed wing flight dynamics. I'm hopeful if MS have a strong desire to support the rotary club we'll see a strong out the box addition to the new Microsoft Flight Simulator however @SergioCosta I fear you might just have to be a Grumpy Simmer for a bit longer yet! 😁

20 hours ago, RyInTheSky said:

Within the realm of MSFS given it's limitations, the Milviz Bell 407 is so far the best model I have experienced in that realm. 

The Milviz MD 530 and Cerasim's AS 365 are not bad either. But together with Dodosim's exceptional 206 that's about it. What this tells us is that helicopters can be adequately simulated in FSX/P3D, but given so many bad models, this seems a hard thing to do.

Yes, good helicopter physics are essentiual for me too in MSFS. No choppers, no go.

• Like 1

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2

7 minutes ago, dilore said:

Yes, good helicopter physics are essentiual for me too in MSFS. No choppers, no go.

Yeah I'm not prepared to go that far, but exceptional helicopter flight simulation would certainly get me to buy addon helicopters for FS2020.  I never bothered with FSX or P3D.

My dream helicopter game though would be a modern version of the old Jane's Longbow 2.  The Tiger Shark for DCS is fun to fly but I really just want a modern AH-64 Apache flight sim  to pound ground with.  That might be an unrelated topic, but the dream still lives on...

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, dtrjones said:

I'm hopeful if MS have a strong desire to support the rotary club we'll see a strong out the box addition to the new Microsoft Flight Simulator however @SergioCosta I fear you might just have to be a Grumpy Simmer for a bit longer yet! 😁

Well, I think I'll always be a Grumpy Simmer!

• Like 3

www.helisimmer.com

On 8/15/2019 at 1:34 PM, Chuck_Jodry-VJPL said:

It would be a pleasure to see turbine engines better represented as well as Rotary flight , developers have come up with the codebase needed to generate both  ,  it is my ardent hope that MS makes use of these advances . its all a question of communication . 

Great seeing you pitching in, CJ. Thanks for joining the convo.

I'm trying my best to reach the dev team about this but it's VERY hard to get a hold of anyone right now. Not that I haven't been trying.

www.helisimmer.com

Imagine being able to execute a textbook autorotation unto the MFS2020 grass. 😎 keeping those needles in the green, some rudder and flare without any weirdness.

Just spent most of my afternoon doing non-stop auto's in DCS with the UH-1.

Edited by Ops Normal
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1