Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

Saitek controller config settings

Hello all,

I have just replaced my P3Dv4.5 SSD and re-installed P3D.  Everything went well but I find now, after spending a fair amount of time assigning buttons, keys and Axis settings, I find that everytime I turn off the computer and restart P3D, I have to re-set all my Saitek settings.

I have read posts but nothing is appearing to work,

I have copied the P3D (Lockheed Martin) Config to Desktop after setting it all up for the third or fourth time, deleted the original, to let P3D reset its own config settings. After finding that I have to reset again, I have then deleted the config file and replaced with the desktop saved version.  That made no difference made whatsoever.

What on earth is going on? ... I have spent hours on this and never had this problem with any previous installations. How can I set the Saitek controllers 3 X throttle Quads, yoke, pedals and trim, so that I can just start up P3d and have it all set up permanently.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Hi Tony, first is that you assign all your Sw and levers with the UI , say OK and test them to your satisfaction.

Open again Controls assignments and click EXPORT, give the file a name , this will be saved in

C:\Users\UsER_ID\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files  as an .xxx.xml file (xxx your choice) .

This file can then be imported later if required.

This system is good also if you want to have different settings for , say, helicopter and fixwing.

prepar3d.cfg has nothing to do with control settings ,  so replacing it won't do anything.

Do not know why your settings are not being kept, make sure you click OK after setting them up and close P3D correctly.

hope this helps

Jorge

Hi

I am also having the same problem which seems to have been since my recent update to W10 v1903.

I have 2 Saitek throttle units which are assigned to the various functions using FSUIPC. Nothing is assigned to the throttle units in the P3D controls option. The throttle units are always connected to the same USB ports and always in the same order but on may occasions the assignments become swapped over and all the axis and button assigments are changed i.e Throttle unit 1 becomes No2 and vice versa. Wouldn't be a problem if they were not fixed in a box unit. I am using the FSUIPC Auto Assign joystick Letters but that doesn't help.

I am considering using only 1 Saitek unit with just 3 axis until I find a solution.

Edited by wardp

Asus Maximus Hero XI , i7-8086, 16 Gb RAM, nVidia GTX 1080 ti

Are you guys running P3D "As Admin"?  If not, then you likely don't have right access to the AppData folder, so the settings aren't being saved.

Also, didn't your SSD software have a migrate/clone function?  That would have saved you a lot of time.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Good point Dave , WIN tends to reset all "Run as Administrator" after some of their upgrades ...

Jorge

I got fed up with how this all worked and was having similar issues, so every button and axis is programmed in FSUIPC, not a single one  in the sim.

Janet Virtual Airline

MSFS2020 / XPlane
i9-9900K, 1070Ti, 32GB Ram, Honeycomb Alpha

I run P3D as administrator and all my axis and button assignments are done through FSUIPC. It appears that sometimes FSUIPC switches the Saitek throttle assignments around.

So, one thing that hasn't been mentioned (unless I missed it, and that's entirely possible)... make sure you don't have any USB Power Saving features enabled in the Windows Device Manager. If they are set (and they are often On by default), you controllers will time out often before you even think about flight sim.  Then if the USB senses you're using them (doesn't always work) then P3D will set up the default control settings.

There is an app that turns the USB power saving features off for you, and I'll locate it and post it here tomorrow, but doing it manually is just fine as well.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

OK, Guys.

Thanks to you all for this brilliant response.

Fortunately, all is restored. I do not know how or why, but it is now working well. I have done this initial set up for P3D many times and this is the first time that I have had any problems. I did, however, go through all of your suggestions again. The problem remained for another two set-ups and then magically went away. I was, actually, getting mentally prepared for yet another full re-install of P3D.

I would like to mention, however, the following.  

My computer is set up as "administrator" only, and there no "guests. Despite this, I always install everything P3D related, using "run as administrator' and after the install, I go into "control panel" and properties to click on "run as administrator"

I am running 4 x SSDs and 4 x HDDs all connected to the MB and all are in power saving mode disabled, (done through Advanced settings) as I want them active all the time.

Another thing that I find puzzling, is that after I start P3D (first flight of the day) I am finding that I get a significant pause of up to 5 seconds when I first start moving the trim wheel. This is better than when it first started happening because then it used to crash P3D ... now there is just a significant pause. Never happens with FS2004 or Xplane. I can, however,  live with that despite it being somewhat annoying.

Anyway, lets put this down as "solved' and again with my gratitude for all your responses.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I have switch off power management saving for  USB ports and my devices all connected to individual USB pots on the motherboard.

However this weekend I have received another 'update' to windows 10 and the Saitek throttle units seem to be behaving themselves now so I am just keeping my fingers crossed. Although I do have another irritation in that the Auto Rudder function in P3D sometimes switches itself on.

Don't you just love computers!

Just a side note on this, I went thru all USB settings and adjusted them to not sleep (this was done quite a long time ago) then about 6 months ago, my comp would never go into sleep mode. To make long story short - I ran across a free ware app "DontSleep" I now use this app to allow my comp to go into sleep, (in essence it ignores or disables continuous signals from USB slots that are set to keep awake). Some one might need this free app. It's continually kept up to date. Some times after a win10 update it will not update. Within a day or so you can check the website and down load updated version that will work. Kudos to the author, (donation link is availible) 

Edited by jimcarrel

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Hello all,

Sad news for me.

This problem has returned with no input from me,

Each and every time I turn on my computer I lose my controller settings in P3D. All controller settings, including mouse assignments, return to default settings.

My computer is set up as Administrator only. I install every thing, unless otherwise stated, as "Run as Administrator" and each time I start P3D, I do so using Run as Administrator.

I go to great lengths to delete most of the default settings (particularly "keyboard" and "mouse")  click Ok and then I go through each controller and delete all the axis settings. clicking OK, after each controller deletion ...  ie yoke delete all and click OK.  Having done that I go into keyboard settings, assign yoke and assign keyboard settings as I require.

After completing keyboard assignments, I then go through each controller and ensure that there are no axis assignments showing. Having done that, I go through each controller and assign buttons, clicking OK after each controller and then moving on to axis assignments.

This whole procedure takes about 45 minutes and then I can fly.

Having to do this, every day, is becoming somewhat of a pain.

At this stage, the only thing I can think of that may be causing this problem, is the fact that whilst I have three quadrants, they are all, USB connections, and none are connected to the yoke, as in the normal yoke controller combination connection.

I go through this same initial procedure with FS2004 but only the once and all is fine. XPlane 11 is also done this way, although slightly different and again, I have no problems there.

Any further ideas???

regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.