Sign in to follow this  
tutmeister

Rift S or index

Ok I'll admit it, the title is a bit misleading. I have all of the rift realeases and am pleased with the rift s in general.

However I got an email today saying my reserved index is now available to ship and I can't decide if I should go for it. Now the hype has died down I have seen and heard conflicting reviews on the actual resolution step and also that the knuckles aren't as good as you imagine they would be.

Has anyone tried both rift s and index with knuckles controllers?

Chris

Sounds like throwing good money after good money. You are pleased with the Rift S? Would the Index be worth another grand? I somehow doubt it. Give the grand to a dogs home if it's burning a hole in you pocket!

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

23 minutes ago, tutmeister said:

Ok I'll admit it, the title is a bit misleading. I have all of the rift realeases and am pleased with the rift s in general.

However I got an email today saying my reserved index is now available to ship and I can't decide if I should go for it. Now the hype has died down I have seen and heard conflicting reviews on the actual resolution step and also that the knuckles aren't as good as you imagine they would be.

Has anyone tried both rift s and index with knuckles controllers?

Chris

I have the Rift S and I had the Index which I returned. My VR flying is done in X-Plane and the Index didn't work that well for me. The Index has canted displays which X-Plane 11 doesn't support and the developers were non committal as to when it might. The resolution wasn't any better than the Rift S. As far as the knuckle controllers were concerned, they were fine for what I was using them for. I know there have been some issues with them. Get the Index and see how it works for you. You have 14 days to return it if you don't like it.

• Upvote 1

NAX669.png

19 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

Sounds like throwing good money after good money. You are pleased with the Rift S? Would the Index be worth another grand? I somehow doubt it. Give the grand to a dogs home if it's burning a hole in you pocket!

I'm after the best vr head set of this generation. The rift s is good but has some compromises, the index brings some potentially game changing (pun intended) things but there are mixed reviews. I don't just use the rift for sim work, so it's not just throwing money away, it's trying to find the best all rounder.

Why not the HP reverb? Isn't this currently provides the highest resolution?

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

On 8/16/2019 at 9:10 PM, Daedalus said:

Why not the HP reverb? Isn't this currently provides the highest resolution?

HP is having a lot of problems with the Reverb.

In my country (Spain) they are cancelling orders and not sending supplies.

Maybe there will be good news in September...

Miguel Leandro

I have been using the Reverb for about two weeks now and absolutely love the resolution.  Rumors are that a new revision will be out in a few weeks.  I have not had issues with mine.

Some people have had issues with their MB USB port not supplying enough power causing flickering.  Some folks have had the headsets overheat after hours of use.   After using mine, I will not buy anything less in resolution.

• Like 1

Today I receive one of the 2.0 Reverb versions so will let you know my experience in a couple of days. I'm gonna test in P3d, XP11 and Aerofly.

Well, the reverbs are now available in spain again, so i have press the trigger and ordered one.

I'm very happy with my rift S, but i will try the HP reverb.

I hope to receive the 2.0 reverb version.

Miguel Leandro

I just got my Reverb so I haven't had much of an opportunity to use it. I'm doing some research on what the best settings should be. This is my second pass with the Reverb. I returned the first one due to flashing in the display. That problem has been fixed per some folks on reddit. Hopefully, this is the last VR headset I have to buy for a while.

NAX669.png

I am interested in the reverb too. Now using Oculus Rift S with just P3D V4.5. Wondering if the reverb gives better Visual compared to Rift S. I find the oculus software is very instable. Especially using panels inside the HMD. Have to restart my Oculus OCR often after putting my HMD off and on  my head again. How are you guys going with hp reverb now? Satisfied or not? Some input would be great. Cheers from Frankfurt....Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

6 hours ago, mpo910 said:

I am interested in the reverb too. Now using Oculus Rift S with just P3D V4.5. Wondering if the reverb gives better Visual compared to Rift S. I find the oculus software is very instable. Especially using panels inside the HMD. Have to restart my Oculus OCR often after putting my HMD off and on  my head again. How are you guys going with hp reverb now? Satisfied or not? Some input would be great. Cheers from Frankfurt....Marcus

I would suspect it's your panel software in VR thats unstable, rather than the Oculus.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

13 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I would suspect it's your panel software in VR thats unstable, rather than the Oculus.

I am not do sure. Because this Panels are a Oculus feature in their Sotfware. For some time ago it was in Beta. Now it is a standard feature of Oculus regardless of which sim or game you are playing. You can even use their panels without running any application. It is a layer produced by a second virtual Desktop that is blended in front of your desktop or sim/game. This panel shows the Application which a user decided to use as a panel by selecting it and pin it as a panel.  In my case it is Navigraph. 

I did not mean the P3D panels like ATC or GSX2 or something like that. 

But thanks for your thoughts on this. 

I will reinstall oculus but also try HP Reverb as it is worth it (to me)

Regards Marcus 

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

2 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

I am not do sure. Because this Panels are a Oculus feature in their Sotfware. For some time ago it was in Beta. Now it is a standard feature of Oculus regardless of which sim or game you are playing. You can even use their panels without running any application. It is a layer produced by a second virtual Desktop that is blended in front of your desktop or sim/game. This panel shows the Application which a user decided to use as a panel by selecting it and pin it as a panel.  In my case it is Navigraph. 

I did not mean the P3D panels like ATC or GSX2 or something like that. 

But thanks for your thoughts on this. 

I will reinstall oculus but also try HP Reverb as it is worth it (to me)

Regards Marcus 

I'm only suspecting that because the Oculus software, is generally considered to be excellent compared to Steam or WMR, and the ability to drag screens into your sim has worked pretty much flawlessly for me in the past, especially as it's not at all as easy to do in other headsets. (Flyinside is the exception)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 minute ago, HiFlyer said:

I'm only suspecting that because the Oculus software, is generally considered to be excellent compared to Steam or WMR, and the ability to drag screens into your sim has worked pretty much flawlessly for me in the past, especially as it's not at all as easy to do in other headsets. (Flyinside is the exception)

I appreciate that. I will uninstall and install again. I am also assuming that a recent oculus update did probably broke something. I am aware of this. But also had troubles short after rift s came out. I bought it on day 1. I had also recognizing issues and instable connection issues as a lot of other users also had. So unfortunately it did not went well to me. But....I will give it a try again. Also reinstalled Windows 10 to avoid issues which could be  produced by windows. 

Thanks @HiFlyer

• Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png