Sign in to follow this  
SledDriver

True/Magnetic display on map

Currently flying between New Zealand and South America. My TRUE heading is currently 90degTrue.

But the compass rose in LNM shows only 57degMagnetic. This is useless/dangerous especially when in areas with large variations.

Is it possible to set LNM to show True compass data as the primary when in such areas? I can't find it in the menus or help.

I find it strange that you can't change this. Indeed I remember being in the cockpit of an A340 years ago when at very high north latitudes, and indeed the FMC would not even let the pilot switch to Magnetic data, offering only True at those latitudes.

I can change it on my GTN750 in the sim, but I would like to be able to change it in LNM too so both correspond and I don't have to keep doing maths on my tracks.

Ah, next release I just spotted at the top of that. 🙂 

Any idea of the timing of that?

Cheers

Edited by SledDriver

It seems a little strange to be putting Mag/True settings under a Flightplan option. Isn't this a fundamental setting for the whole program, rather than the flightplan?

One other request...

With 2.2.4 I cannot see a way to stop the program tracking/zooming to the plane in some form. I can configure how it zooms, but I don't seem to be able to disable zooming/auto-panning. Could you add this to a future version, preferably as an icon so it can be easily toggled.

Sometimes when on flights, especially longer flights, it's useful to be able to zoom out and leave it there.

Cheers

This setting affects only the label along the flight plan line. Therefore it is placed there.

I added true readings to some (not all) values like aircraft heading, leg course too.

47 minutes ago, SledDriver said:

With 2.2.4 I cannot see a way to stop the program tracking/zooming to the plane in some form. I can configure how it zooms, but I don't seem to be able to disable zooming/auto-panning. Could you add this to a future version, preferably as an icon so it can be easily toggled.

Switch aircraft centering off and zoom out or have a look here: Aircraft. You can disable the centering for a given time (up to 5 minutes) when moving or zooming around in the map.

Alex

13 minutes ago, albar965 said:

This setting affects only the label along the flight plan line. Therefore it is placed there.

I added true readings to some (not all) values like aircraft heading, leg course too.

Switch aircraft centering off and zoom out or have a look here: Aircraft. You can disable the centering for a given time (up to 5 minutes) when moving or zooming around in the map.

Alex

HI Alex,

Yes I am aware of all those settings, and have not been able to find a way to stop the zoom going back to automatic, even if after a defined period.

But none of those options give me the ability to disable the auto zoom/pan permanently if required.

I accept that most of the time the tracking zoom/pan is a god thing, but I certainly have situations where I do not want it to do that temporarily, and that is NOT the same as increasing the zoom/pan resume time delay.

Some times during flights I want to plan things for much further ahead in the flight, and I zoom/pan the display to the area of interest and then it jumps back to the plane again. And I certainly don't want to have to reconfigure the "Jump back to aircraft and resume aircraft following after this time" setting as that is different. I want to leave that setting the way I use it 90% of the time (for me 120 seconds), but have an overide/disable which allows me to use the map freely WITHOUT it timing out and jumping back to the plane for the duration of my planning, however long that might be - so an icon toggle in the top bar would be perfect.

Your program is so excellent, but I can't see why you don't want to allow this feature. 🙂

Cheers

"Map" -> "Center Aircraft" or Ctrl+Alt+A disables or enables the auto zoom/pan permanently. You can scroll and move around in the map as long as you want and watch your aircraft disappearing at the map corners if disabled.

I certainly do not force automatic zooming. It's an option.

Alex

Ah! Perfect. Thanks

""Map" -> "Center Aircraft" or Ctrl+Alt+A disables or enables the auto zoom/pan permanently."

This is what I was missing. I was looking in the Menu/Tools/Options/Map settings to try and find this ability, without success.

Cheers, and thanks again for a really nice program.