Sign in to follow this  
jt233

How to create scenery

So I want to create some scenery for P3D but don't know where to start. So in Southern California, there is a place called Star Wars Canyon where the military practices flying through the canyon and there is an overlook where spectators can watch. Basically what I am trying to create is the lookout that overlooks the canyon. It's just a small parking lot and maybe a bathroom. I have the ORBX Socal scenery which helps make the scenery better but would love to have the overlook and maybe a couple of cars. How easy would this be to do if I don't have any experience with this? The most I have done is learn how to repaint some aircraft. 

Thanks

Jason Thiers

2 minutes ago, jt233 said:

So I want to create some scenery for P3D but don't know where to start. So in Southern California, there is a place called Star Wars Canyon where the military practices flying through the canyon and there is an overlook where spectators can watch. Basically what I am trying to create is the lookout that overlooks the canyon. It's just a small parking lot and maybe a bathroom. I have the ORBX Socal scenery which helps make the scenery better but would love to have the overlook and maybe a couple of cars. How easy would this be to do if I don't have any experience with this? The most I have done is learn how to repaint some aircraft. 

Thanks

I fly Star Wars Canyon in the sim using the free photoscenery from Blue Sky. It does show the parking lots and roads since it’s photoreal but I haven’t taken the extra step to place cars or anything in the parking lot. 

For a place specific like that, you’d probably be better off using photoreal that shows all the detail rather than ORBX SoCal. You could use a scenery tool to place the objects like cars, however I’m not sure which object placers are available for P3D. 

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

8 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I fly Star Wars Canyon in the sim using the free photoscenery from Blue Sky. It does show the parking lots and roads since it’s photoreal but I haven’t taken the extra step to place cars or anything in the parking lot. 

For a place specific like that, you’d probably be better off using photoreal that shows all the detail rather than ORBX SoCal. You could use a scenery tool to place the objects like cars, however I’m not sure which object placers are available for P3D. 

Is this included in the Blue Sky scenery for KEDW? I'm pretty sure I have that installed.

Thanks

Jason Thiers

Nevermind I see on the site where this area is covered and it's a separate scenery from KEDW

Jason Thiers

The simplest way would be with Instant Scenery 3. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

What's the LAT/LON for the canyon?  We may have it in ours?

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

4 hours ago, domkle said:

Hi,

Is it working with P3D V4.5?

Thank you.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

@jt233 are you looking for scenery for just the parking spot or the entire canyon?  The parking spot is called the Father Crowley Overlook.  It's at 36.2523655, -117.5506184.  I started trying to build the overlook only.  See this photo.  I have ORBX Global and Vector, but not SC.  Is this what you had in mind?

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

27 minutes ago, killthespam said:

Hi,

Is it working with P3D V4.5?

Thank you.

Good question. I don't know as I am  still in v3.3. where it works.  You may find an answer at the Flight1 forum. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

59 minutes ago, Clutch Cargo said:

What's the LAT/LON for the canyon?  We may have it in ours?

Do a  GE search. It is a listed PoI there.

Dominique

5 hours ago, domkle said:

That does not work in any version of P3Dv4.

You could install either FSX or P3Dv3 and use IS 3. Then copy the bgl file(s) into P3Dv4.

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Yes, that is exactly what I am looking for. I don't need the whole canyon as I have the scenery for that but just wanted the overlook for added detail. I actually live near there in LA and have wanted to visit it ever since hearing about it a couple of years back but at least I can fly through there in the sim.

Edited by jt233

Jason Thiers

12 hours ago, GSalden said:

That does not work in any version of P3Dv4.

You could install either FSX or P3Dv3 and use IS 3. Then copy the bgl file(s) into P3Dv4.

That's good to know since I am using P3Dv4. 

Jason Thiers

I use the build in SimDirector that allows you to place objects directly in your scenery and export it to a bgl file. Work well with small projects. Takes long to load but otherwise works quite well.

• Upvote 1

Johan Pienaar