Sign in to follow this  
penta_a

Ray tracing support?

Did any one notice any ray tracing support in any of the video clips that were provided? 

Was it mentioned in any of MS updates? 

It's becoming today's normal in most of the modern PC games. 

Best regards 

Ali A. 

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

I should say it's pretty clear to see that ray-tracing of some form is implemented into the sim. Particularly in the image of the TBM looking directly at the prop. The reflection off the metallic spinner just gives it away I believe. Of course I could be wrong but I've never seen reflections like this until ray-tracing came round, visuals from battlefield V I'm referring to.

KittyHawk_E3_withLogo_001-1.jpg

The way it clearly reflects each blade is just superb. It needs a special mention as well that it is reflecting the light that is reflecting off the exhaust. That's a double reflection. That's the kind of stuff only ray-tracing can pull off effectively.

• Like 1

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

I still can’t ‘see’ ray tracing unless it’s pointed out to me, or the photo has a caption that say “example of ray tracing”. Though I don’t think it’s anywhere near being in every new game released, given that the new consoles will specifically support it and that presumably future generations of Nvidia GPUs will continue to offer hardware support, I would think it’s extremely likely that msfs will use it too. 

• Like 1

This is one of the things I'm most excited about. My understanding is that you need to be a big budget studio to invest in ray tracing and until MS get back in the game I doubt anyone else has those kind of $$. Thanks for pointing out the prop spinner - the reflections are indeed impressive

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

Not having an RTX card myself I'll be fine running with it turned off it it hurts my experience but the fact it's here in the first place, in a flight sim of all things, is pretty impressive considering they've typically been way behind in terms of graphics technologies when compared to your typical game.

• Like 1

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

11 minutes ago, suncoastflyer said:

Not having an RTX card myself I'll be fine running with it turned off it it hurts my experience but the fact it's here in the first place, in a flight sim of all things, is pretty impressive considering they've typically been way behind in terms of graphics technologies when compared to your typical game.

Considering it can be turned off!

21 minutes ago, suncoastflyer said:

Exactly that's my feeling. I don't have RTX either so it will have no choice but to fallback to older tech for the majority of us. It does make me much more interested in RTX but I think I'll wait for Nvidia's new card due 2020 using Ampere/7nm tech. These things are too expensive to upgrade with every generation.

• Like 2

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

33 minutes ago, Noooch said:

Considering it can be turned off!

If it can't be turned off it can be assumed the performance impact is negligible (lol doubt that)

Or it can be assumed Microsoft is stupid and wants everybody to run a slideshow (doubt that too)

So all things considered, it will hopefully be an option or I won't be in this sim until I get a new gpu, which would be extremely dissatisfying.

Or it could be a super duper prank like the Minecraft super duper graphics pack and it isn't actually ray tracing but some new tech that happens to do amazing reflections without causing a super nova on your desk.

Edit: A total coincidence, I open an new tab and click on youtube, as you do, and I find out that Nvidia just announced RTX for Minecraft.

Edited by suncoastflyer

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

57 minutes ago, spit40 said:

Exactly that's my feeling. I don't have RTX either so it will have no choice but to fallback to older tech for the majority of us. It does make me much more interested in RTX but I think I'll wait for Nvidia's new card due 2020 using Ampere/7nm tech. These things are too expensive to upgrade with every generation.

You can actually run it in software now if you really, really want to see what it looks like. You will have rubbish performance though, even with a 1080 ti 

1 hour ago, suncoastflyer said:

So all things considered, it will hopefully be an option or I won't be in this sim until I get a new gpu, which would be extremely dissatisfying.

FS2020 certainly looks to be using ray tracing from the trailer we've seen, and if it is then it will definitely be something which can be toggled on and off in the settings.  Most GPU's in the world today do not natively support ray tracing (which makes it CPU intensive and very heavy performane wise) but the newer cards will.  The RTX line from Nvidia already is doing it on the hardware, and this will allow programs like FS2020 to incorporate ray tracing with little performance cost.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Greazer said:

You need to understand the basics 101, it has nothing to do with data centers.

Ok, so now you will have to explain it to me. And I am not an expert at all!

Isn't cloud gaming all about being able to play games that require heavy graphic processing on hardwares that are not capable of doing it, like smartphones?

19 minutes ago, Noooch said:

Can the processing be handled by the datacenters?

Everything can be processed/rendered/calculated in the cloud and streamed to the users. But we don't have enought evidences to say how much of the simulator will be streamed to us (scenery? weather? clouds?).

As an example Google Stadia processes everything in the game for you and just sends you a real-time video stream of it. 

We will have to wait more info to get into conclusions. 

Edited by ca_metal