Sign in to follow this  
penta_a

Ray tracing support?

38 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

I already gave an example, run a game with RTX effects on Stadia. Everything will be rendered processed on the google servers. That's how a cloud gaming platform works (PS Plus, Google Stadia, Project XCloud). 

Stadia is a trial like a beta and it doesn't have Ray tracing. Other attempts to make video game streaming failed. Also it's a browser based with limited resources and constraints etc.  You can't seriously compare this to a full screen full fledged flight simulator with all the effects we've seen so far. C'mon man it's like comparing Tetris to Red Dead Redemption!

I highly doubt that the game will be entirely streamed from the cloud, mainly because of third party aircraft and scenery possibly not being available that way.

23 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

Really??? It took around 66 years to go from first powered flight to walking on the moon. But it will take 2 centuries to make streaming an RTX game feasible. I mean...Really???

Well it took many, many centuries from the first horse and cart to the first motorized vehicle.

1 hour ago, Greazer said:

Stadia is a trial like a beta and it doesn't have Ray tracing. Other attempts to make video game streaming failed. Also it's a browser based with limited resources and constraints etc.  You can't seriously compare this to a full screen full fledged flight simulator with all the effects we've seen so far. C'mon man it's like comparing Tetris to Red Dead Redemption!

How do you know it doesn't have ray-tracing? It will use a custom AMD GPU and AMD and it's already confirmed the new Xbox and the New playstation will have ray-tracing capabilities (both will use custom AMD GPUs).

You really think google would use hardware not capable to use next-gen tech as ray-tracing?

My point is, it's possible to stream any game, with maximum settings enabled (including ray-tracing) and the project XCloud will probably have all MS titles available, including the MSFS 2020.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Greazer said:

Well it took many, many centuries from the first horse and cart to the first motorized vehicle.

You do know that less than 40 years ago we were looking at this: https://winworldpc.com/screenshot/c69212c3-ac44-79c2-be11-c3a4c2ac5a54/c2a0c5be-c38e-c2a3-7c2a-11c3a4c2ac5a ?? 

Maybe you confuse a century (100 years) with a decade (10 years)?? Because it might take a while before we get to full ray tracing (now only parts of a scene are ray traced on an RTX). 

8 hours ago, Greazer said:

Ray tracing requires a special RTX GPU video card, Otherwise Ray Tracing is Not even an option.

Not sure this is relevant to the upcoming sim, but Nvidia is rolling out RTX GPUS to their GeForce NOW cloud streaming service. Only 1080p at the moment, I believe, however, 4k will likely be coming sooner or later. Don't think it will take centuries to happen.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/08/19/geforce-now-pc-gaming/

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/geforce-now/

Would be nice if Microsoft clarified whether streaming will be part of the new sim, and if so, what will be streamed.

This may only be news to me but apparently an RTX won't be required to run at least some form of ray tracing and if you have Win 10 and at least a GTX1060, you'll get something.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directx-raytracing-and-the-windows-10-october-2018-update/

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

29 minutes ago, sightseer said:

This may only be news to me but apparently an RTX won't be required to run at least some form of ray tracing and if you have Win 10 and at least a GTX1060, you'll get something.

I read that entire article from last October, and I cannot find any inference that RTX won't be required. "Supported cards" was the only non-specific term used.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

38 minutes ago, sightseer said:

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directx-raytracing-and-the-windows-10-october-2018-update/

You can run the ray-tracing effects without having a RTX card, but the performance wouldn't be good, as the GTX cards doesn't have dedicated cores for the ray-tracing stuff.

nvidia2.jpg

Edited by ca_metal
  • Upvote 1

Well, even my 1080Ti 11GB VRAM card rates very poorly... <sigh> :blush:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well I originally thought I wouldnt be able to run ray tracing at all without an RTX card.  I believe it was stated on these forums and seemed reasonable.  I also thought that most of us didnt have an RTX card and MS arent stupid so I investigated a very small amount and found the DXR mention and also the mention that a GTX 1060 or above could run 'lesser quality' ray tracing.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-gtx-dxr-ray-tracing-available-now/

and I still have no idea what 'Ultra Disk' is all about https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/azure-ultra-disk-storage-microsoft-s-service-for-your-most-i-o-demanding-workloads/

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

1 hour ago, sightseer said:

It's about providing faster storage for those using Azure to host their data. Doesn't look like it's really relevant to the new sim, unless they are using to host any scenery that will be streamed. However, it's probably overkill for just streaming scenery.

I'm not sure what I'm going to have to do. I'm still running an I7-7700K and a GTX980TI. Unfortunately, I just built this about spring of last year.

Guess I'll see.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

40 minutes ago, 188AHC said:

I'm not sure what I'm going to have to do. I'm still running an I7-7700K and a GTX980TI. Unfortunately, I just built this about spring of last year.

You are in better shape than me, I'm running an i5-2500K with a GTX 970!

But then I've already decided I'm building a new system when FS2020 releases.  I've just accepted it as a necessity.  I might even build it sooner if we get min specs for the sim just so I can run P3D better in the meantime.

Edited by Mengy