Sign in to follow this  
penta_a

Ray tracing support?

13 hours ago, n4gix said:

I read that entire article from last October, and I cannot find any inference that RTX won't be required. "Supported cards" was the only non-specific term used.

You don’t need an rtx card to try ray tracing - this is since a Nvidia driver update a few months ago that allowed users of non-rtx cards to select ray tracing setttings in games. However, performance is absolutely woeful without the additional hardware that rtx cards have (think 15 FPS on a gtx 1080 ti at 1080p) and it’s more just to see what it looks like, and presumably to convince you that’s it’s worth dropping a grand on a new card. 

Edited by Superdelphinus

On 8/19/2019 at 10:38 AM, penta_a said:

Did any one notice any ray tracing support in any of the video clips that were provided? 

Was it mentioned in any of MS updates? 

It's becoming today's normal in most of the modern PC games. 

Best regards 

Ali A. 

I saw in a video this morning that there's NO ray tracing. The creator of the video asked MS and they confirmed no ray tracing. Looks like they have implemented something that looks "similar" but no requirement for a  an RTX card.

Edited by martin-w

On 8/19/2019 at 4:48 AM, suncoastflyer said:

The reflection off the metallic spinner just gives it away I believe.

That's a double reflection. That's the kind of stuff only ray-tracing can pull off effectively.

I would wholeheartedly agree, if only Forza hadn't been around...

Keep in mind this is Photo mode, which uses high-poly models, but even so, it's not ray-traced.
Edited by Concodroid

On 8/19/2019 at 1:35 PM, Greazer said:

Please give one example where Ray tracing is generated on a server for a game in real time?

Good luck, because the answer is there are none.

it would take another century, at least, probably two, for this to be even Remotely possible.

That would be a correct statement, quite correct, but...

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3432957/nvidias-geforce-now-adds-real-time-ray-tracing-and-android-support-as-cloud-gaming-heats-up.html

Maybe it isn't 4k yet, but we're not 200 years away from that, are we?

And yes, it's limited. But as more people sign up, more money, more RTX GPUS...

Please edit your posts or something, it's misinformation.

• Upvote 1

Turns out no ray tracing. Very convincing reflections though! My 1080 ti is relieved because it still has a home 😂

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

34 minutes ago, suncoastflyer said:

Turns out no ray tracing. Very convincing reflections though! My 1080 ti is relieved because it still has a home 😂

I hear that. I also have a 1080 ti and my wallet is very happy. I was planning to pick up a 2080 ti come next year. Whew!

Specs: I9-13900K, RTX 4090, 32gb Ram |Headsets: HP Reverb