Sign in to follow this  
Edspace

Important decision - What short name should be used

It appears from all that Microsoft has published that the official name is Microsoft Flight Simulator. I think MSFS or MFS  would be acceptable. 

• Upvote 4

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I can't sleep at night worrying about this very issue.

Edited by DavidP
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

David Porrett

I agree that 2020 is not part of any official naming convention

FSX was never called FS2006 nor was  FSX:SE ever called FS2014, so why does anybody call MSFS anything else but what Microsoft call it?

Maybe the community thinks that they are better than Microsoft by renaming Microsoft's products?

Edited by Wobbie

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

1 hour ago, Wobbie said:

Maybe the community thinks that they are better than Microsoft by renaming Microsoft's products?

Why make an extremely negative comment like that?

Every previous iteration of Microsoft Flight Simulator had a distinction in the name itself marking it as unique and individual.  MFS98.  MFS2000.  MFS2004.  MFSX.  The franchise has always had the year or a number in the title, it has traditionally been how the separate versions were labeled.

This is the first time int the franchise's history where Microsoft has broken this tradition, so is it really that hard to understand the confusion or to wonder what reasons people might have for calling the new sim something more distinctive than MFS?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mengy said:

Add FS95 and FS2002 😁 !

Anyway, say it aloud. FS20 rolls out of the mouth smoothly. MSFS is a tongue twister. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Not confusing at all, really.. FSX & FSX:SE most certainly did not have a year as part of it's Microsoft given name, so why should the community make up a fictitious name for MSFS? 

I repeat that the community did not take it upon themselves to rename FSX & FSX:SE to FS2006 & FS2014 respectively, when Microsoft has already given the sim a distinctive name already, that does not confuse any people. Just imagine if MS somehow delays the launch to 2021... & the community, in their wisdom, makes up another name.. FS2021.. now that will confuse everyone, with FS2020 & FS2021 being bandied around.

Why not just stick to Microsoft's official name.. instead of a community made up one..

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

9 minutes ago, Flamingpie said:

Who ever says it aloud...? I only 'talk' about flight sims on forums so to me, and perhaps most people here, it's more important how you type it. 😎 I did some testing and MSFS is easier to type imho so... MSFS it is. 😜

Typing is passé 😁

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Whatever name people call it, will eventually be known.

We didn't call Microsoft Flight Simulator 98 by that name, did we?  Over time, it got abbreviated to FS98.  But who did that?  No one person.  It just sort of happened.   It'll happen here the same way.   That's what makes it so neat -- entropy -- randomness.  ha ha.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

MSFS.

In 2019, and all the next years, everyone will know that it means the one from Microsoft that will be released in 2020.

Nope, maybe they will not, imagine if it gets released in 2021!

Then why not call it, following FSX's convention, FSMMXX?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

“What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet”

• Like 1

Chris

I think the reason I keep calling the new sim FS2020 is because I'm less concerned with what people are labeling the new sim but more concerned people know exactly which version of flight simulator I'm talking about when I make a post.  While Microsoft may be currently using the moniker "Microsoft Flight Simulator" that is an inherently generic title, because every version of the franchise had that title in it's name.

While using FS2020 might not be technically accurate, it does make it completely clear which version of MFS I am posting about.

• Like 1

Hi Mengy, No confusion at all, & it's VERY clear & obvious as to which sim you are posting about, as this forum is dedicated to Microsoft Flight Simulator, not FSX, The FS2004 (FS9) forum, nor Microsoft Flight Forum.

So, it's taken for granted as to which sim you are talking about..  

• Upvote 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...