Sign in to follow this  
BusheFlyer

Spectre and Meltdown related to P3D hardware.

On 8/23/2019 at 3:17 PM, TechguyMaxC said:

You're complaining about performance drop on a CPU that was released in March 2010.  That's almost 10 years old.  Well outside the average or even expected lifecycle.  

In such an extreme circumstance you really can't be speaking for anyone but yourself.  The majority of users here are at least on Haswell, which admittedly sees more performance reduction from side-channel vulnerability mitigations than post-Haswell products, but nothing like what you're talking about.  

I don't see how this is helpful to anyone.  You can say there aren't any proven exploits in the wild, but that can change in an instant.  It is simply bad advice.  If you want to run 10 year old hardware and turn off protection against what is potentially the biggest vulnerability in the modern era of computing, that's your choice.  I suggest no one else do the same.  

First of all I am not 'complaining', please point out exactly where I was expressing a grievance? I am well aware of how old my choice of CPU is, bang for buck I guarantee you that it's the best single processor ever released for the consumer market. Incidentally.. I have my highly unimpressive Haswell 4790k sitting at on another desk as I write. (4.6Ghz on 4 cores.. at 1.4v).. please.. it still is outperformed by the 6c/12t Xeon at 4.5Ghz 1.3v. (Where is your triple channel memory support Haswell?).

Furthermore re-read my first post where I mention that it is individual choice and whether I recommend it or not.

You might bare the nickname Techguy I assume to add some implied gravitas to the value of your advice, however consider that you might not be the only one that may have had a career working in 'tech', I highly suspect that my career in tech is likely to be considerably longer than yours.

Instead of spending time coming up with implications that I am somehow offering unhelpful advice or indeed 'bad advice' howabout you actually spend time reading the posts I have made on this topic. Otherwise it's all a bit embarrassing isn't it...

Edited by BusheFlyer