Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shalomar

Student arrested for pilots uniform

Correct. If I were a judge and I'd not think there was a case against him as a suspected terrorist I'd at the very least order him extradited to the heart of a typhoon somewhere over the mid Pacific (ok, a one way ticket to his country of origin will do if that can't be arranged).

Guest Erick_Cantu

Exactly! He was here illegally, that's the first red flag, he was in possession of all these materials, that's another. You did not need to even think of race to trip a dual red flag and require an investigation.

Guest Philip Olson

I am sorry that some of you think what some people are saying is racist but I can assure you that it is not. There will always be some people that are racist and they are a problem but in this case it is not racism for the vast majority of comments. Let me give you an example, if a plane crashes and it is found to be a fault with the aircraft itself do they ground every airplane or just the type that crashed? They ground only that type of aircraft because it is most likely that the danger only comes from that type of plane. More than likely there is absolutely no danger from the majority of the planes that are grounded anyway but they do this for the safety of everyone. Essentially it comes down to a numbers game, you know that the risk comes from a certain area more than others so you take precautions based on that risk. Would you call this racist or discrimination? No, of course not but why when dealing with people does the issue arise? Do you suggest that we should ground every single plane until every one is checked out just to make sure we are safe? No, that would take too long. The same goes with people, there is a group that more than likely will be the source of danger, so does it not make sense to look a little more closely at them? I do not think that this is racist, it is more of a common sense approach as long as it is done with respect for those people. Everyone knows that just because someone is Muslim it does not make them a terrorist, but we also know that the vast majority of terrorist attacks have been by young Muslim males in the past 30 years, at least the ones against American targets. Additionally they have stated that they will attack again, you can not turn a blind eye on everyone. Everybody gets looked at closer in the airport today, everyone! I used to be amazed at how much tighter the security was in countries like Germany many years ago compared to the US and now we have about the same procedures. I do not take it personal that they look at me closer now, I don't want to be on a plane that a terrorist flies into a building. It is sad that people take offense at such little things these days, personally I would not be offended by being searched a little more closely if someone that looked like me did something wrong, they are only trying to make others safer. There is always a line between right and wrong, there are proper ways to do this and improper ways and I would say that the majority of the time the searches, etc. are done respectfully and in accordance with what is proper. I guess that I could give example after example of how we use what you say is racist every day for inanimate objects, no one would ever consider this wrong because like I said it is a basic math equation, you look to where the most danger is and work with that area first. It is logical and it works, why should we throw out what works? I am not trying to say that we should put people on the same level as inanimate objects but if something works use it as long as people are treated with respect. I know that I probably won't change your minds, this is how you feel but to call me a racist is wrong, and that is what you are doing. No, you did not directly call me a racist but the insinuation is there that if you look at things like this you are a racist. I have friends from every group of people on this planet and not a one of them would say that I am a racist. I have had this discussion with some of my Muslim friends and they do not think that I am racist, what I say makes sense to them. They in fact would do exactly the same thing if Americans with a German background (me) did the same things that happened on 9/11, they would think it was a good idea to look a little more closely at people with my heritage. I AM NOT A RACIST! If you would like I can let you talk to my friends of various ethnicities so you can verify it. You can not call me a racist just because common sense states that you look at the group where the danger comes from a little more closely until the danger has passed. Please do not think that I am expressing anger here, it is more frustration that people can so easily call me a racist because my thoughts do not match theirs. Please, if you know of a better way to deal with this let me know. We are looking at everyone more closely, as we should, security over all has been increased a lot in the airports, no one can deny this. There is no way that we can read minds to see if someone is bent on hijacking an airplane so without knowing who might be a threat it makes sense to use the law of probability and look closest at where the threat may come. It is not a perfect world and you have to balance many things in your decision on how to best use security to ensure the safety of the airlines while getting people through security as fast as possible. I can assure you that many, many people have wracked their brains to come up with the best system they could given the circumstances, if you have a better way I would love to hear it because I want to be safe, I want everyone to be treated with respect, I want our freedoms, I want peace, I want others to be happy, I want probably what you want, but I do not want to be grouped as a racist because your way of thinking is different than mine. Treating someone badly because of their race, color, or whatever is racist but knowing that a threat will come from a certain group of people and therefore being a little more cautious of them is not racist, it is common sense. We all know that there are far more Muslims who do not want to kill Americans, since we know and acknowledge this it takes much of the racist element out of this. If this was only a perfect world! Best RegardsPhilip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Guest Erick_Cantu

It IS racism and the more you insist it isn't the deeper you dig your hole.This group is only the one in focus at the moment, just as the communists were in the 50s and the Japanese before that along with countless others as time goes on. Like it or not you will view this with regret in 30 years.How can treating a given race with more caution be any less racist than any other way of treating them differently? The more you try to make yourself seem more 'common sense' the bigger the bigot you show yourself to be. Enough. Why this is even tolerated here I don't know, if I said the same thing about a black person or a jew I'd get fried and/or warned/banned.The old 'my best friend is black/asian/muslim/whatever' card holds no water.EVERYONE is biased in one way or another and the ones who are the least are the ones who admit being racist in one way or another first. I find the worst to be the ones who pretend they're not.Guess what, I've had similar thoughts in the past till I sat back and thought about it for a while. I fully acknowledge that even now I still feel a bit of uneasiness in the presence of someone who seems Arab but at least I'm making an effort to not think that way because I know that I'm a better person for it and I know that maintaining the other path is - simply put - rather silly.The law should be blind in theory and practice. Period. Are these not the ideals we strive to maintain? You're just trying to excuse behavour that is completely unacceptable and irrational. Paranoia isn't the solution, people!Under the LAW and any form of fair law enforcement race would not have even entered the question and he'd have been detained anyway. I do not pay the men and women of law enforcement to scope out certain groups. I pay them to be fair and to follow the law to its fullest extent and to uphold our basic values as a people, and thankfully, this is what they appear to be doing, and not listening to your crowd!

I've read that article several times over now. Nowhere was this guys' race mentioned. I have absolutely no idea why you seem to be so excited and calling racism here. Calm down.

Guest Erick_Cantu

It's not the article. It's the people here responding. I have complete faith in the law here and I don't think race entered the equation, but you have these people here who feel they need to bring it up anyway.I believe the police followed procedure and made their judgements based on the facts and not ethnicity. Why the people here seem to think that the police should be doing something otherwise is the issue, and to a greater extent why the general populace does as well.That's downright silly and I wonder if some of them aren't TRYING to stir the pot a bit.

Guest Erick_Cantu

Haha! :-hahNo, I believe we'll annex Canada first. The UK will just have to settle for #52.

Well, i havent wanted to say anything about this, but IMHO, no one kknows. So he is a arab? Yes we were attacked by an arab. organization on 9-11 by them crashing stolen airlines into our country. Because this arab going to college here has a pilots uniform, and many dvd's on aviation, doesnt give anybody the right to anything other than to be curious and to look into it. For every one to start saying he is a terrorist, and to send him home, doesnt make since. Maybe this guy is a die-hard, aviator like us. None of us have boosted 30k from sportys and hhas a pilot uniform, but still. Onlything these people have on him is some ammount of stolen, or unpaid aviation videos from sportys. To have a pilots uniform, isnt breaking the law to my knowledge. But yes, id reccomend looking into this, but lets not all jump to conclusions. I have faith in this country and our judicial system, now lets sit back, relax, and let them work.just my 2 cents...have a good day gents.. :-beerchug

I don't care what race this guy is. Muslim terrorists have come in brown, black, and yellow colors so far. But if he looks like a duck and quacks like duck...

I think you're a little confused. The underlying commonality of these terrorists is not race...it is religion. In order properly behavioraly profile a would be terrorist, you need to look at the religion of the subject. So far, this terrorist problem is not one brought on by Lutherans, but by Muslims. So the police would most likely be wasting finite resources by scrutinizing a Lutheran, when their time could be better spent scrutinizing a young male Muslim. Whether coincidentally or by design, most people of Arabic descent seem to be of the Muslim religion. I don't know why, but it just seems that way. Is this observation in error? How many people of Arabic descent are Lutheran? How many are Jewish? How many are Buddhist?This of course, is rather unfortunate for Arabic people, and makes the religious profiling appear racial in nature. Now, if most people of Native American descent are Muslim, the authorities would be scrutinizing a young male Native American as they would a young male Muslim. So you see, the profiling is not racial, but rather a religious one. Come back and explain to us why religion should not be a factor now.

Okay, that brings this subject to a close. AlQeda is not Muslim. It claims to be, but it is no closer to Islam than baptists are to buddists. Now that closes the thread.

Guest TWVA395

I partially agree with you. When I said 'and white,' I meant that race is not the issue. I don't think its technically religion. You have Islamic extremists who have manipulated the religion to their advantage. The true Islamic religion (well, my understanding of it) does not promote terrorism. Muslims are not terrorists and they should not be treated like they are. You don't treat all Christians like they are members of the KKK.http://www.kthxdone.com/images/kw_ft.jpgKen Weik [link:maam.org|MAAM-SIM][link:library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=root&SearchTerm=kenneth+weik&Sort=Added&ScanMode=0&Go=Change+View]My AFCADs

Guest Shalomar

I do agree with Tom, this is mainly (so far) a conventional case of someone ripping off an internet merchant. That person is in this country illegally, and though I don't know the details apparently he set up a false identity, or somehow came by a way to get some kind of credit. If he can do it once, he can probably do it twice, and is more likely NOT to come to court if released on bond. "Risk of Flight" is the major factor here IMHO , not terrorist affilition or race. As for "Profiling", it doesn't work as well as some are suggesting even in medicine. Women are twice as likely to die of their first heart attack, cuz heart trouble has for years been less of a statistical danger for them. The same for Asians with high blood pressure, it's not agressiviely treated cuz they supposedly suffer less from it. I have personally benefited from profiling a lot in my life, in many neighborhoods I frequent I am mistaken for an undercover cop.We seem to be the main ones interested, I have been looking and not finding more info on this.The truth is there is no "muslim Pope", there hasn't been a high level, legitimate, moderate leader for a long time. As for "Waahbidasts" being the main danger, what about the Saudi Royal Family? They advocate and practice it. The State Department has at times issued warnings for Americans traveling there, but they have been withdrawn under pressure. You can call it "willfull collusion", "payment of protection money" or "illadvised charitable contributions", but the fact remains the Royals have made signifigant donations to terrorist organisations. The former King was kept on the throne far past when he could effectively rule, for fear his replacement might end the long tradition of rich allowances for the extended Royal Family. If he actually does, some Al-Queida markers might just be called in.The fact is an individual doing his duty and telling the U.S. Administration something it apparently did not want to hear, the good news that a particular story about Al-Queida attempting to aquire a nuke was not true; faced some signifigant personal and professional challenges. If Al-queida ever does decide to get WMD's, the most likely source is and always has been the remnants of the Soviet Union. The FBI said as much when Clinton was in office, the Russian Mafia is our # 1 security threat.Love and justice may both be blind, but they can sure smell money.It might surprise some the degree that the business moguls controlling the media and the U.S. Pols have interests lining up, and the degree that affects what you are told about. Since you can often find some useful stuff buried in the back pages, or a story manages to get out anyway; sometimes it works better than actual government censorship, because the illusion of trustworthiness is preserved.Best Regards, Donny:-wave