Sign in to follow this  
Hangar7

Microsoft igdumdim32.dll keeps crashing my flights on FSX

A few months ago I found FSX not performing the way I was used to. It no longer enables real-time weather downloads from the internet. Secondly, FSX now nearly ALWAYS crashes when I try to replay a landing, or, if I need to check the weather or a radio frequency at the destination on "maps".

If I were to uninstall FSX would I lose all my hours logged in my logbook, and, by re-installing, would that get rid of whatever is causing the programme to crash when I try to "replay" a landing or some other part of the flight?

I am not at all "tech or I.T. savvy", so I know that doesn't help, but I'm hoping that someone out there can help me solve this annoying problem.

I have since discovered when I looked in the 'Event Viewer' that the culprit causing the "Fatal Error" is Microsoft "igdumdim32.dll".

I think others have been experiencing the same problem, but I have not found anyone who can fix it.

Any solutions would be most welcome.

Regards

Hangar7

Hi

Are you running your sim in Win8 and using Intel HD Onboard Graphics (Usermode driver), Perhaps it is Igdumdim32.dll as part of the Desktop Gadgets sidebar that is creating the error. Disable the HD Graphics gadget and see if it makes a difference (Laptop). If its on a desktop PC you should you should run your Sim with Dedicated Graphics card, and disable bios iGPU and not use the Intel HD Driver sidebar Gadget.

Type into Bing search  "What is igdumdim32.dll" see what it brings up. 

Agree with Jethro.  Also update the Intel HD Onboard Graphics Driver - https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/80939/graphics-drivers.html.  Doubt this issue had anything to do with FSX unless it specifically references FSX.exe.  Event Viewer shows every event, not just FSX.  See AVSIM CTD Guide for more info regarding the Event Viewer.  You should also download and run AppCrashView as suggested by the AVSIM CTD Guide (link in my signature).

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Copy your logbook to a safe folder before reinstalling FSX. This way when you reinstall fresh, you can move it back and have all your hours restored.

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Thank you Jethro, Jim Young, and 188HC for your respective replies. It has been a challenging past 3 weeks technologically on all fronts, and I know what Gordon Ramsay [the British chef] would say, which,  understandably, I cannot repeat here. . Having looked at the Event Viewer, igdumdim32.dll may not be the only influence affecting the flight sim. For several months now I haven't been able to download real time weather either. A Microsoft FSX alert tells me that I am not connected to the internet even though I am. Tomorrow I will reinstall FSX Gold Edition, and in the meantime find out how to copy my logbook before reinstalling. My operating system is as follows:-

Windows edition-------------------
 Windows 7 Professional
 Service Pack 1 & 2

System--------------------------------
 Rating:   5.1 [Windows Experience Index]
 Processor:  Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz
 Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (7.69 GB usable)
 System type:  64-bit Operating System
 Graphics Card:  Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

Either way, I will let you know if this was successful. Thank you all again.

Hangar7

• Like 1

Hi Hangar7,

Been a while since I last visited this thread.

Gordon is a colourful chap isn't he! But there's more to the man than just a potty mouth. 
If I can save you the trouble & (if I'm not already too late)  Reinstalling FSX thinking that it will solve the RWW issue. Please don't, FSX Weather server has not been online for many years, there was a residual effect where the last weather data was available on the day they pulled the pin until the last 9 to 12 mths, that is no longer the case. The server is now totally off line, hence the alert about your internet connection. Please ignore this message, do not use FSX's RWW option but invest in a good Payware or freeware weather utility for custom weather or just use the FSX themes or Orbx themes if you have them. Rest assured you do not have an issue with your internet.

Incidentally: I use a freeware called FSXWX which injects RWW data, if you are interested here's a link where you can download ( read the instructions carefully and make backups before installing as advised). It seems to be offline at the moment but may be updating or in a maintenance cycle. Keep trying it may be back soon.
http://www.plane-pics.de/fsxwx/home.php

• Like 1

Hi again Hangar7,

Here's a better link to the FSXWX for FSX Download, the earlier link given was not quite right, this one will work better. http://www.plane-pics.de/fsxwx/instructions-fsx.htm   Please read through the whole page instructions and the various elements you will need to grab, download everything with the Green circle/arrow links, Copy the whole thing to a word doc, and use it as a installation run sheet.
If you intend to use FSXWX v1.61  let me know if you need help, but please make sure you backup  wxmapping.bin   ThermalDescriptions.xml   per instructions  & your original   wxstationlist.bin  
If you are ok installing on your own that's even better. After install make sure FSX is running first then start the FSWX client > select FSX as the sim, then Current as the time, Auto connect through simmconnect, load a flight,  you will see server connection establish, once the flight is loaded you should see the client panel fill with updated weather meta data, your current location should have a weather system reflecting the data input via the new WX stations.
Make sure you have FSUIPC v4.90 or higher and up-to-date .NET 3.5 - currently 4.8  It can be tricky to install / configure, but if you follow the instructions you should be right. You could even read through the FSXWX local forum to find pointers on settings

Edited by Jethro
  • Like 1

Hi Jethro,
Thank you for those links and instructions. Before I act on them I will reinstall FSX, but, even before I do that, I need to find out how to copy my logbook to a safe folder, as recommended by 188AHC. Several years ago I had to reinstall FSX and I lost over 1,830 hours logged flight time. Since then I've accumulated 6,500 hours and I don't want to lose those hours this time. I don't know where the logbook hours are kept on my computer. Where can one find the logbook?
Do you know how I can copy my FSX logbook hours to a folder? [I did mention at the start that I am not tech/I.T. savvy, nor did I grow up with computers. The DC-3, Grumman Goose, and Cessna 172 are about as hi-tech aeroplanes I fly.]

Thanks

Hi Hangar7,

If you want to save/backup your FSX DVD installation  "Logbook" and "GrantedRewards" before doing a reinstall perhaps you could look at this FlyAwaySim page in the below link:
https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/35769/backing-up-fsx-logbook-and-rewards/

The folder locations for these 2 files are as follows, you must have your "folder options" set to "show hidden files folders and drives" In the file explorer Tools menu drop list, select folder options > View, where you will find the folder options list, check Show hidden then Apply and OK to exit, then navigate to the folders listed below.

C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\Logbook.BIN

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\GrantedRewards.BIN

Once you have saved those 2 files to a backup folder, you can return copy/paste them back after reinstall.

• Like 2