Sign in to follow this  
LibraryMan

ExternalSim as Category?

Hi Nico!

I started using PSXseeconTraffic in June and really like it.

A few days ago I got into PSX again and of course wanted to use your live AI traffic with it. But as PSX.Net.P3D.Externalsim uses "category=Externalsim" in the "[General]" part of aircraft.cfg PSXT stops working (or doesn't even generate traffic if you start if with the externally driven plane running). The error I get is "Error 71" though the "atc_model" is set.

Is there any chance to allow this category too for PSXT?

Cheers,

Erich

Hi Erich,

I don't think this version of PSXseeconTraffic will work with PSX....  I used to have a special version for it, but due to lack of interest I stopped further development and continued PSXseeconTraffic as a program for a user flown aircraft in P3D/FSX.

Regards,

Nico

Nico,

thanks for your quick post.

Instead of PSX.Net.P3D.Externalsim I set up the trial version of WidePSX and got it working today, together with PSXT and RT. Traffic get populated and I tried a quick landing in FRA with the situation in PSX. Worked fine, though I only had time for a short test.

Obviously the PSX Server & Boost Server & WidePSX are running on a different machine from P3D & PSXT & RT as they are using the  same port for listening.

Can I test further or is there a stumbling block somewhere that I don't know of? Obviously I'm still interested if it is possible to enable PSXT for Externalsim "aircraft".

Cheers,

Erich

Hi Erich,

Did you see any traffic at the PSX TCAS?  That might be one of the stumbling blocks...

Regards,

Nico

10 hours ago, LibraryMan said:

Obviously I'm still interested if it is possible to enable PSXT for Externalsim "aircraft".

PSXT does not check the category.  It is P3D that only sees category=airplanes as user flyable aircraft. That's why PSXT says atc_model is missing, it does not see a user aircraft at all....

19 hours ago, kiek said:

Hi Erich,

Did you see any traffic at the PSX TCAS?  That might be one of the stumbling blocks...

Regards,

Nico

Yes, traffic was on the TCAS. WidePSX has its own module for transferring AI traffic to PSX.

PSX.Net.P3D.Externalsim does that too, just couldn't test it with PSXseeconTraffic, only the P3D provided traffic bgls.

9 hours ago, kiek said:

PSXT does not check the category.  It is P3D that only sees category=airplanes as user flyable aircraft. That's why PSXT says atc_model is missing, it does not see a user aircraft at all....

I see. So not checking for user flyable aircraft, or making an exception for externalsim with a type of all the 747s would probably mess up PSXT?

I read that vPilot works with Externalsim, though I have no idea which variables that program requires.

Cheers,

Erich

I have no experience with PSX.Net.P3D.externalsim. I still have PSX at my PC though.. Is it a free addon? Could you give me a link to documentation?

Hi Nico!

Yes, it is free. Download is here: Externalsim 2.5.0

The download includes the documentation. Basically you install three programs, the Addon for P3D, the Router and the Configuration Editor. You also need the aircraft model here.

34 page long Thread with info/discussion on the Aerowinx Forum.

Very awesome of you to look into it!

Cheers,

Erich

Aha thx, in the thread you can see I was one of the first to install the software (June 2016) but I was having problems and gave up. 

Completely forgotten, I'm getting old. 😉

See what happens if you change Category to airplane in the aircraft.cfg file of PSX_747?

53 minutes ago, kiek said:

See what happens if you change Category to airplane in the aircraft.cfg file of PSX_747?

Do you mean that the plane just bounces around? Yes - and I just saw that I forgot to mention that in my initial post (I'm getting old too 😉) -  sorry.

That is why I was hoping for another solution.