Sign in to follow this  
jalbino59

FSDT Chicago O'hare V2 Released.

Quick question, is there a option to disable PBR and Dynamic Lighting yet in v2?

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

19 minutes ago, TalonMX said:

Quick question, is there a option to disable PBR and Dynamic Lighting yet in v2?

Doesn’t appear to be.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Just now, CaptKornDog said:

Doesn’t appear to be.

Well that sucks. These days it should be a standard option. This way the user can tune there configuration based on their system.

Thanks for letting me know.

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

27 minutes ago, TalonMX said:

These days it should be a standard option

Why should a developer stick with legacy lighting? 

It holds up both development resources and memory resources.

With the old style lighting you actually needed specific night textures that would emmit light. Those had to be created and they took resources, especially during dusk.

With the new dynamic lighting system you don't need any special night textures anymore. 

And this is why you can't have an option to switch off. If you switch off the dynamic light the same happens that happens when you switch off all street lights at night in the real world.

Edited by Farlis

11 minutes ago, TalonMX said:

Well that sucks. These days it should be a standard option. This way the user can tune there configuration based on their system.

Thanks for letting me know.

that would be only possible with old sceneries which were initially made with non-PBR textures, usually for FSX or P3D before 4.4, and later upgraded to PBR, so it would’t cost anything to developers letting you install the other version they already had.

But KORD v2 started as a true PBR project right from the start, nobody ever made any legacy texture for it.

So no, what you called a “standard option these days”, it’s something that will become less common in the future, since it’s just a byproduct of transition of old products in the new rendering engines.

PBR is now available in P3D4, X-plane 11 and of I guess it will be the only option in MSFS 2020 so, clearly, no developer in his right mind would consider starting a new product today, using legacy textures. We are just the first ones, as we usually are, to came out with something entirely new that didn’t had any legacy with the past.

Anyone remembering June 2017, when P3D4.0 came out, we were the first weirdos installing in the proper way with the add-on.xml method, all the flak we got ? Now, years later, everybody else cought up, so now it is the “standard option these days”

• Like 1

Purchased and installed today. Decided to go with the FSDT version over DD due to the commitment from the developer to keep it updated as the changes at the real airport happen. The PBR effects are awesome when you look at it closely but the shimmering and lack of AA from a distance really takes away from it. I hope Lockheed Martin patches this soon (not the fault of FSDT).

A note to those running DD Chicago City X: It appears that the exclude area in the FSDT scenery takes out some of the DD scenery/autogen immediately surrounding the airport. This was fixed for me by putting the DD Chicago City X higher in my scenery priority order than FSDT KORD.

Edited by bbain1187

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

Well, multiple users confirmed each other's issue on FSDT forum that when arriving at KORD after a medium to long range flight there is a problem with night textures loading. Umberto asked for screen shots which a user provided. His response was to lock the thread (which mind you they rarely ever do) without any further explanation or resolve. There was no civil discourse so I find this really odd.

• Upvote 1

Eric 

1 hour ago, B777ER said:

Well, multiple users confirmed each other's issue on FSDT forum that when arriving at KORD after a medium to long range flight there is a problem with night textures loading. Umberto asked for screen shots which a user provided. His response was to lock the thread (which mind you they rarely ever do) without any further explanation or resolve. There was no civil discourse so I find this really odd.

I’m not surprised. Reminds me when GSX2 came out and every one was having issues with performance after a flight. FSDT kept saying it wasn’t them but it turned out later it was. There was also the CTD in northern Canada when flying from Europe. Granted it wasn’t GSX fault but it triggered the  vulnerability in P3D. 

I’m  sure will get a long explanation on why they locked the topic and how the night texture problem is due to a shader program or something. 

I did purchase KORDv2 but I have not installed it yet. I’m going to wait and see what happens. Too many mixed posting to really feel confident installing it just yet.

Edited by TalonMX

Dan

3 hours ago, B777ER said:

Interesting. I just came in from KSEA and none of the aprons had lighting. I was wondering what the issue was but I'm gonna assume it is what you mentioned. Hopefully they get it fixed soon.

3 hours ago, B777ER said:

Yes sir, you are correct.  I also found it odd that they locked the topic.  I rationalize that they have enough information and that they were able to confirm the issue and locked the topic down until they could can sort it out.  I hope they reward my optimism with a fix down the road.  But it's strange that they took that action without at the very least saying they would look into it.  That said, they took a big risk trying to develop a major scenery using an entirely new method. I respect that.  But, maybe they should have perfected their process on a smaller project before taking on a project this large. 

Jose A.

Core Components: AMD Ryzen7 7700X - G.Skill FlareX 32 GB DDR5 6000 CL36 (XMP)  - Gigabyte B650M Aorus Elite AX  - Asus ROG Strix RTX3060 12gb

Storage: WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB - AData sx8200 Pro NVMe 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB

WIN10 - P3D v.5.3 HF2 - XPLANE 11 - MSFS

I finally got the time to check it out last night. Personally, I'm more than happy with my purchase. The PBR is really well done and it's doing a massive job of turning the scenery into something lifelike, even reminding me of the great MSFS visuals from the previews. The overall level of detail is also stunning, from the gate areas to the texture detail of the concrete and asphalt pavements.

Dynamic lighting is astonishingly performance friendly in my case. At the ramp I get 30+ FPS with 4xSSAA while DL at other sceneries makes me need to switch down to 8xMSAA. I'm not sure why @TalonMX you would need an option to switch it off for performance reasons. Also, PBR doesn't come with an impact on performance either.

As for the shimmering issue: I'm using Nvidia Inspector for this scenery to help with AA externally and it reduces the shimmering considerably down to a minimum.

Something I've come across though is the night lighting of the grass background. While the taxiways are black and unlit (unless illuminated by DL), the grass and service roads are weirdly lit up. There also appears to be a reddish tint.

Prepar3D%202019-08-26%2017-27-05-34_zpsb

Edited by threegreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

11 minutes ago, threegreen said:

I finally got the time to check it out last night. Personally, I'm more than happy with my purchase. The PBR is really well done and it's doing a massive job of turning the scenery into something lifelike, even reminding me of the great MSFS visuals from the previews. The overall level of detail is also stunning, from the gate areas to the texture detail of the concrete and asphalt pavements.

Dynamic lighting is astonishingly performance friendly in my case. At the ramp I get 30+ FPS with 4xSSAA while DL at other sceneries makes me need to switch down to 8xMSAA. I'm not sure why @TalonMX you would need an option to switch it off for performance reasons. Also, PBR doesn't come with an impact on performance either.

As for the shimmering issue: I'm using Nvidia Inspector for this scenery to help with AA externally and it reduces the shimmering considerably down to a minimum.

Something I've come across though is the night lighting of the grass background. While the taxiways are black and unlit (unless illuminated by DL), the grass and service roads are weirdly lit up. There also appears to be a reddish tint.

Prepar3D%202019-08-26%2017-27-05-34_zpsb

Which setting do you have in nvi for the aa? 

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

Anyone having performance issues?I'm referring to smoothness. FPS are fine because I use a 30HZ monitor.  I disabled UTlive and it helped a bit but it gets choppy when looking in direction of the terminals or taxiing close to. Once I get out of the KORD area it gets smooth again. 6700k 4.6ghz 16b Ram and 1080ti. I turned settings down didn't help. Any ideas? 

Tony Fontaine

3 hours ago, 331BK said:

Which setting do you have in nvi for the aa? 

Enhance the application setting and 8x sparse grid super sampling. I use 4xSSAA in P3D.

• Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

@331BK I turn off DL at most 3rd airports because even with my system it can be a performance hog. If FSDT has done a better job of implementing it than that’s great news and I hope other Devs follow the practice. 

Dan