Sign in to follow this  
188AHC

August 22, 2019 Update

10 hours ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

Here's the rest:

Philosophical Question

If a tree falls on a sloped runway but there is no one there to see it, is the runway still sloped?

Answer:

We hope so, because we’ve got curved/sloped runways in the next iteration of Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Next update on August 29th!

Couldn't it be a hint for: Some Airfields/Airports will be covered by ATC, and others won't ??

Love the Mesh detail, hope they will be able to pull this off worldwide.

1 hour ago, Roadmaster69 said:

Couldn't it be a hint for: Some Airfields/Airports will be covered by ATC, and others won't ??

Probably, considering that's how ATC worked in FS9, FSX, P3D, and in the real world where some have ATC and the rest just have traffic frequencies...

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

4 hours ago, Noooch said:

Do you know where?

No, but this is the only part of Australia that is lush and green.  With the exception of a smaller area around Perth.  Maybe, someone from there can chime in.

edit: Someone already did.  It is Perth indeed!

Edited by ual763

2 minutes ago, ual763 said:

No, but this is the only part of Australia that is lush and green.  With the exception of a smaller area around Perth.  Maybe, someone from there can chime in.

It has been found, it's near Perth 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nas123 said:

dDphbNG.jpgHere is the Australian image taken from Bing MapRAjLfs8.png

And here from Google Maps

https://www.google.se/maps/@-31.9765964,116.2018939,574a,35y,133.06h,78.65t/data=!3m1!1e3

Comparing the real world Bing and Google images with the MSFS2020 image, I find that the MSFS2020 image has too much green trees that do not look like Austrailian trees. It looks more NorthWest US vegetation to me Other than that, the image is good and I guess they will populate different areas of the word with correct Azure AI vegetations in later builds.

Remember that the screenshots are from an early build. We are still a year away from release. They have plenty of time to make the water look amazing.

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

4 minutes ago, Flamingpie said:

Am I the only one who isn't too happy about the water in the first new screenshot...? Looks like good old FSX: as if they copied a photo from a sea and pasted it into the river. Those waves look to big from that altitude and you shouldn't see waves like that all up to the shore, I think. Somehow it looks odd. And old.

This is what the water in the lake looks like in real.TTgOtaw.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nas123 said:

dDphbNG.jpgHere is the Australian image taken from Bing MapRAjLfs8.png

And here from Google Maps

https://www.google.se/maps/@-31.9765964,116.2018939,574a,35y,133.06h,78.65t/data=!3m1!1e3

If they are changing the ground colors for different seasons, using shaders, that would be Monumental. And then perhaps we could expect the shaders to do snow/ice effects and precipitation buildup on the tarmac etc. Microsoft may be going all in with FS2020??

Edited by Greazer
  • Like 1

We are going to have to accept that there will be imperfections. If the worst thing is the wave size on rivers, we will be doing well. 

Anyway, one thing I'm now convinced of is that there is some kind of streaming of orthos going on. Every single screenshot and video we've seen, even in very remote areas with no photogrammetry, is showing orthos underneath. Noway can they localize that sheer amount of data worldwide. 

The question is how they are populating autogen on top of the orthos, including the grass we've seen? That can make or break the appearance (as I've learned in XP11). 

There's either a lot of smoke and mirrors going on or they've got some really, really exciting tech coming that could change everything. 

Edited by bonchie
  • Upvote 1

The scale of the waves seems not too far off to me: the Australian lake has little waves that are driven by the wind that obviously was weak (compare the RL image from nas123), while the Colorado river has waves focused to the middle (deepest part with fastest current) and pointing into the direction of flow. These waves are not produced by wind but by current over large stones and rock. Such waves can get quite large depending on the slope and current velocity. Admittedly seldom quite as large as in the MS screenshot. Your images show lowland rivers with slow current, where such type of waves does not exist. In smaller mountain rivers there are not so much waves but a changing pattern of turbulent whitewater patches, gravel banks and deeper blueish pools (which has been done quite well by ORBX in their NZ scenery).

Rendering river surfaces realistically is a real challenge as you need informations about width, depth, slope and water color (turbidity, humic substances, ..) to do it right. MS may have a lot of geodata, but probably not about depth and water color of rivers. So we may expect some generic solution that discriminates brooks, small and large rivers and also between mountains and lowland.

Edited by meerkat
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, bonchie said:

The reason question is how they are populating autogen on top of the orthos, including the grass we've seen? That can make or break the appearance (as I've learned in XP11). 

There's either a lot of smoke and mirrors going on or they've got some really, really exciting tech coming that could change everything. 

MS Azure can identify things in photos.  See the aidemos link and then the TED talk that I thought was pretty cool.  It shows real time identification.  theres even an app for blind people where the software uses a camera to describe all objects in the camera view.  Apparently it will even attempt to describe emotional states of the people in the image (or maybe it could - dont know)

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

I fly often, and mostly above the sea. It never looks the same twice. Winds, depth, currents, and wakes from boats and ships all play a part.

In P3D one can tweak the waves, and I'm sure it can be done here as well, but compromises will be made as the range of monitor sizes and resolution will differ between users. I have them unrealisticly large in P3D since I need extreme AA settings to avoid water looking like a backlit spiderweb. 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!