Sign in to follow this  
SP2472

Is REX Sky Force 3D any good?

I know most of you use Active Sky but my "retired" budget likes REX Sky Force 3D's sale price much better. How much better is Active Sky in tracking storm fronts/conditions and in quality of the actual clouds and weather conditions?

Thanks for any commentary or opinions that can help me, Darryl

Edited by SP2472

I think you'll find that the general consensus is: ActiveSky for actual weather handling, injection and control paired with REX SF3D for textures. Quite the combination. 👍

Cheers.

Edited by speedyTC
  • Upvote 1

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

10 minutes ago, SP2472 said:

I know most of you use Active Sky but my "retired" budget likes REX Sky Force 3D's sale price much better. How much better is Active Sky in tracking storm fronts/conditions and in quality of the actual clouds and weather conditions?

Thanks for any commentary or opinions that can help me, Darryl

Best to get them both, AS and SF. It is a very good combination.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

To put it slightly differently: I use Active Sky for weather, and Sky Force for just the sky textures and cloud structures.  I think Sky Force is worth it just for that. So if you’re using their weather engine in addition to that, I think it’s a good deal.  Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t REX recently update their weather engine too?

Active Sky + Rex Sky Force 3D is a good combo indeed, and a general consensus as a mate said earlier.

If you are tight on budget you can get first Rex Sky Force 3D for clouds, sky and weather engine.

If you are satisfied with the weather engine then: end of the story.

If not then get Active Sky for the weather.

- TONY -

I just got last night with the simmarket sale (rex is having the same sale in their store) - it is for one specific plane I have installed for FSX (pmdg md-11 lol).

I have AS16+ASCA for P3Dv4 - May install it on my prepar3d system (only thing is Skyforce is loaded with large amounts of textures which is a good thing - keep in mind it is 30gb of textures) - so far I have set it default automatic mode which is what I want.   Set it and forget it - it is running.

I will try it with AS16+Skyforce but I may get Environment force also (maybe) - saw a video outside it looked nice. Will see.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)