Sign in to follow this  
jhnWik

Your First Next Gen Flight

6 hours ago, CarlosF said:

LMFAO, its funny to see people complaining about someone else's post and end up doing exactly the same thing.

A swing and a miss!

Not sure how you misunderstood a simple point, but that's the internet for you. I was attempting to make sure my post maintained some relevance to the topic, hence mentioning what I'd do on my first flight.

That's not exactly the same as setting out to intentionally break the game so I can march back in here and proclaim "I told you so".

Try to keep up, sport.

• Like 1

I'm sure there will be some introductory flight that the sim starts you off with and explains how things work in the sim.  After that flight I'll be making a flight that I've made many times in sim from my home airport in Bonham, overfly my house, circle downtown Dallas and then back home via a different route, about two hours.  I'm familiar with the area in real life both driving and flying and I'll be comparing the new sim to P3Dv4 and actual scenery along the way.  I'll be checking out the weather and flight model as well as sightseeing.

I'll be looking for what Microsoft has done right, not everything they've done wrong.  

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

2 hours ago, Noodle said:

A swing and a miss!

Not sure how you misunderstood a simple point, but that's the internet for you. I was attempting to make sure my post maintained some relevance to the topic, hence mentioning what I'd do on my first flight.

That's not exactly the same as setting out to intentionally break the game so I can march back in here and proclaim "I told you so".

Try to keep up, sport.

Carlos called you out correctly kiddo. You are the one who needs to keep up.

You say that the likes of Greazer and I are out to "intentionally break the game" so we can make proclamations. You are dead wrong, and you are actually lying about me, likely because you cannot understand me. I tried to explain myself in the simplest way possible as an act of friendship.  

We put the program through paces with settings that are fully available to us all. No evil intent, no sinister intent/agenda.

Good developers understand us and are glad when we uncover potential CTD or performance issues.

We never told you your first flights were of malicious intent, please let us do things our way without the attacks.

Thank you for your understanding kiddo.  

2 hours ago, LHookins said:

I'll be looking for what Microsoft has done right, not everything they've done wrong.  

I'll be looking for both.

I mean, why not? Aren't we all flying something else now, and looking for a potentially better experience? How do you know if it's better if you're not comparing? How does MS get useful feedback if nobody is pointing out areas it could be better?

I'll be looking for the good stuff, but also things that drive me nuts like scenery pop-in, which for me is a huge immersion-breaker that I don't see in my current sim. I'll be looking for other things I enjoy in my current sim like zero stutters, a smooth simulation of flare when landing, accurate helicopter dynamics and all the rest. 

I'm not going to give up what I'm flying now, unless the new kid on the block does it better. I'm pretty sure MS knows this and wants my money, unless they're willing to write off the hardcore FS sim market entirely in favor of Xbox customers.

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

My first flight in the new MFS is going to be in a Cessna C172 flying out of KUNV, University Park airport, State College PA.  It's an area I'm well familiar with from the air and I want to see how the new sim will compare to it.

After that I'm going flying looking for my house!

There are far too many people in this community looking for things to complain about.

Whatever you're looking for, you'll find, because you'll keep looking until you find it.

Hook

• Upvote 4

Larry Hookins

13 hours ago, LHookins said:

There are far too many people in this community looking for things to complain about.

Whatever you're looking for, you'll find, because you'll keep looking until you find it.

Hook

That's a good thing. Like a perpetual Beta (Charlie/Delta/Echo...) test. Amazing how Lockheed Martin is STILL FIXING FSX/ESP. But nothing would be fixed, if nothing was "found" and "complained" about.  

This topic was about First Flights Larry, and its ok to make first flights that scour the program.

How else will the platform improve? 

23 hours ago, Paraffin said:

I'm not going to give up what I'm flying now, unless the new kid on the block does it better.

I've already stated that the only thing that will keep me from buying the new sim is if it won't run on my computer.  The only reason I wouldn't be flying it instead of P3Dv4 (or v5 when available) is if I can't fly the way I want.  I can't imagine that happening.

23 hours ago, Paraffin said:

How do you know if it's better if you're not comparing?

Read the entire post:  😄

On 8/26/2019 at 4:37 PM, LHookins said:

I'll be comparing the new sim to P3Dv4 and actual scenery

I don't expect the new sim to be perfect.  It's still a computer rendition of flying.  I'll be looking to see how close it comes to being perfect, not how far it misses it.  I'll be reporting the good stuff, not complaining about the "bad." 

I do expect it to be better than what we currently have.  Of course if it falls far short of P3Dv4 in any area I'll mention it to let people know, but only as information.  For example, if we don't have real time real world weather downloaded from the Internet with an option to use historical weather, it will affect a lot of people and they need to know.  If it requires considerable bandwidth I'll talk about that as well.  

I'm not a gushing fanboi but I'm not a chronic complainer either.

Hook

Larry Hookins

On 8/24/2019 at 12:46 PM, Spit40 said:

Take a westerly route and I’ll take off from Cartmel (private airfield but i know the owner) and join you over Windermere and Thirlmere.

👍

the Lake District will be a good test of the scenery in this sim I think. It’s an area that has stunning scenery in real life, but tends to look drab and a bit boring in stock existing sims. I downloaded some ortho for the area once a few years ago and bits of it looked incredible, but there were also some very noticeable joins in the photos where they’d been taken at different times of the year - and you will know how different that place looks in each season. 

1 hour ago, Superdelphinus said:

👍

the Lake District will be a good test of the scenery in this sim I think. It’s an area that has stunning scenery in real life, but tends to look drab and a bit boring in stock existing sims. I downloaded some ortho for the area once a few years ago and bits of it looked incredible, but there were also some very noticeable joins in the photos where they’d been taken at different times of the year - and you will know how different that place looks in each season. 

Indeed. Yes i’ve seen some of that with ortho i have made. It also requires a fine elevation mesh. With rolling hills you can get away with a coarser mesh but steep drops over smaller distances (this isn’t the Alps) can be softened a lot unless the mesh is 5 or 10 metres.

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

I'm likely to start at my home location (kgrr grand rapids, mi) and fly to chicago (kord) in a boeing 737.  I'm very curious about the level of detail in my home city and what stage of the o'hare moderization plan is going to be in game.

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

I'll start at wherever the sim default start is with the default plane and do a circuit or two. Then I'll load up the most advanced default jet and do a circuit or two at my home airport (EWR). Last flight, in the acquaintance phase, is a trip from LAX to SFO in whatever is the best tube they offer.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma