Sign in to follow this  
BadKarmaPT

Finally a new build but...

48 minutes ago, rjfry said:

Turn off HT in the BIOS if you want the best OC on all cores for less heat.

Have fun with turning off HT for a 9700K...

@BadKarmaPT Of course you can try just the last values you tested for some time in real world scenarios. You wont damage anything with those values. If it is stable, ignore the tests with the tool. 

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

20 hours ago, AnkH said:

@BadKarmaPT Of course you can try just the last values you tested for some time in real world scenarios. You wont damage anything with those values. If it is stable, ignore the tests with the tool. 

Just to let you now that I ran the OCCT test with the default BIOS settings (no overclock) and the test ran for a full hour without errors or crashes.

I'm going to try the last values I tested and let it run for a few day and see how it goes.

I might consider getting some thermal paste and reinstall my H115i Pro just to make sure it's not an heat issue caused by a poor install of the cooler.

Regards,

Hugo Bravo

LPPT

OCCT uses AVX instructions, which load up the CPU much more severely than P3D will.  I'd recommend using Prime95 instead, either an earlier pre-AVX version or the current one with AVX disabled in the local.txt file.

How you have your H115 fan curves configured can also make a big difference...on my 7700K machine with an H110i, I set the fans to ramp up fairly aggressively as the coolant (not CPU) temp rises above normal idle temps (~25 deg C), and it hits max speed at 30 deg C coolant temp.  The default fan/pump curves on those coolers are set to minimize noise, and they'll let the coolant get behind the power curve and act as a heat reservoir.  An eight-core CPU under heavy load should have those fans spinning at 100%.

You haven't mentioned what voltages you're using, or what the overtemp threshold is set to.

Regards

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Check out Der8baur on YouTube he`s done more test on CPU`S GPU`S and motherboards and Ram than most and overclocking is he`s passion, and he has some records in that field. And the industry listens to him if he finds a problem. 

Edited by rjfry
  • Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

17 hours ago, w6kd said:

OCCT uses AVX instructions, which load up the CPU much more severely than P3D will.  I'd recommend using Prime95 instead, either an earlier pre-AVX version or the current one with AVX disabled in the local.txt file.

How you have your H115 fan curves configured can also make a big difference...on my 7700K machine with an H110i, I set the fans to ramp up fairly aggressively as the coolant (not CPU) temp rises above normal idle temps (~25 deg C), and it hits max speed at 30 deg C coolant temp.  The default fan/pump curves on those coolers are set to minimize noise, and they'll let the coolant get behind the power curve and act as a heat reservoir.  An eight-core CPU under heavy load should have those fans spinning at 100%.

You haven't mentioned what voltages you're using, or what the overtemp threshold is set to.

Regards

Thank you for your input Bob.

I will check Prime95 and see if I get different results.

How do you edit the fan curves on the H115? Does the Corsair ICue software allow for that or you need third party software?

14 hours ago, rjfry said:

Check out Der8baur on YouTube he`s done more test on CPU`S GPU`S and motherboards and Ram than most and overclocking is he`s passion, and he has some records in that field. And the industry listens to him if he finds a problem. 

Thank you for the heads-up Raymond.

I´ll check Der8baur channel on Youtube. I bet there's a lot to learn.

Regards,

Hugo Bravo

LPPT

4 hours ago, BadKarmaPT said:

How do you edit the fan curves on the H115? Does the Corsair ICue software allow for that or you need third party software?

I'm using the program that came with my H110i, it's not iCue, it's Corsair Link.  I imagine the function is similar...in Link you do it in the Profiles tab.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Intel have announced the 9900KS the release in October 8/8 cores threads running at 5ghz avg temp 42%, should see test appearing on YouTube next month, highly binned CPU.  

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

18 hours ago, w6kd said:

I'm using the program that came with my H110i, it's not iCue, it's Corsair Link.  I imagine the function is similar...in Link you do it in the Profiles tab.

I do have Corsair Link installed. I'll check how it's set in the Profiles tab.

Thank you!

Regards,

Hugo Bravo

LPPT

On 8/24/2019 at 6:06 PM, micstatic said:

If P3D running with the stock boost goes to 4.6 ,how is OC'ing to 4.8 worth it, but you say the difference from 4.8 to 5 is not noticeable?  Literally just curious. 

The "stock boost" or turbo boost doesn't overclock to the max turbo frequency on all cores. It's only one or two cores, if they are the only cores active. So overclocking all cores on an eight core CPU to the max turbo frequency or slightly higher is actually a decent overclock.

If all cores are active you would only be running at 3.6 GHz on a 9700K with Intel Turbo. 

On 9/2/2019 at 4:20 PM, rjfry said:

Turn off HT in the BIOS if you want the best OC on all cores for less heat.

He has a 9700K. It doesn't have HT. 

On 9/2/2019 at 4:04 PM, BadKarmaPT said:

Is 80º C that hot for this CPU under load?

No it's not!

80 degrees should not cause your overclock to fail, its way below TJ Max. 

How are you measuring that temperature? If you are measuring "CPU temp" it will not be the same as "core temp", core temp will be higher.

Make sure you are using something like the RealTemp or CoreTemp utility to measure the temp. Or something like Hardware Monitor. 

If you are monitoring the temp with a utility that detects CPU temp, then its possible the core temp is actually much higher, hence failing due to thermals. 

I would try something other than OCCT. OCCT can be quite vicious. RealBench would be a good get. The other point is that what is actually required is for your overclock to be stable in the sim and the other programs you frequently run.

We do not build stress testing PC's. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

No it's not!

80 degrees should not cause your overclock to fail, its way below TJ Max. 

How are you measuring that temperature? If you are measuring "CPU temp" it will not be the same as "core temp", core temp will be higher.

Make sure you are using something like the RealTemp or CoreTemp utility to measure the temp. Or something like Hardware Monitor. 

If you are monitoring the temp with a utility that detects CPU temp, then its possible the core temp is actually much higher, hence failing due to thermals. 

I would try something other than OCCT. OCCT can be quite vicious. RealBench would be a good get. The other point is that what is actually required is for your overclock to be stable in the sim and the other programs you frequently run.

We do not build stress testing PC's. 

It is hot if you are cooling the system properly.  

After moving to a new house, my gaming PC is finally in a properly air-conditioned room.  Now the highest temp I see is 65C on the hottest core during Intel Burn Test.  Also ignore the voltage here, that's just VID, not the actual vCore setting which is much lower (around 1.28).

Edit: oh yeah, this is with HT ON.  No need to turn it off when you have proper cooling.

Tpl3XJr.jpg

Anyway, 80C may not be approaching TjMax, but it just so happens to be a standard threshold for motherboard overheat protection to kick in.  @BadKarmaPT should look in his motherboard's UEFI settings for something like "maximum safe temperature" and set the value higher, or to unlimited.  

Edited by TechguyMaxC
added voltage info
  • Like 1

It is hot if you are cooling the system properly.  

That wasn't the context I was referring to. I was referring to 80 degrees not being hot enough for the CPU's thermal protection to shut the CPU down. Indeed, its not enough to throttle either. 

After moving to a new house, my gaming PC is finally in a properly air-conditioned room.  Now the highest temp I see is 65C on the hottest core during Intel Burn Test.  Also ignore the voltage here, that's just VID, not the actual vCore setting which is much lower (around 1.28).

Again, wrong context. This is not about optimal cooling. It was about the assumption it was shutting down due to excessive temp.

Anyway, 80C may not be approaching TjMax, but it just so happens to be a standard threshold for motherboard overheat protection to kick in.

"maximum safe temperature" 

I've never come across that setting. I presume its new to motherboards? My Maximus X doesn't have it. If it does it's certainly not set to something as low as 80 degrees. My CPU wont shut down until the CPU's thermal protection makes it. 

Edit: oh yeah, this is with HT ON.  No need to turn it off when you have proper cooling.

Was that just a random comment or did you assume it related to the OP? the OP has no HT, it's a 9700K. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, martin-w said:

That wasn't the context I was referring to. I was referring to 80 degrees not being hot enough for the CPU's thermal protection to shut the CPU down. Indeed, its not enough to throttle either. 

Again, wrong context. This is not about optimal cooling. It was about the assumption it was shutting down due to excessive temp.

I've never come across that setting. I presume its new to motherboards? My Maximus X doesn't have it. If it does it's certainly not set to something as low as 80 degrees. My CPU wont shut down until the CPU's thermal protection makes it. 

Was that just a random comment or did you assume it related to the OP? the OP has no HT, it's a 9700K. 

Temperature limits have been featured in motherboard BIOS/UEFI for quite some time.  Admittedly, they go by many names so it is entirely possible you will have to look it up or use contextual clues to find the appropriate setting(s) in your motherboard UEFI.

As for my comments being tangential to your point, I disagree.  That is precisely why I brought up the issue of motherboard-imposed temperature limits which are user-configurable and often set below TjMax.  

Re: HT - that was more of a dig at the anti-HT folks around these parts, not intended as a dig against you.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Temperature limits have been featured in motherboard BIOS/UEFI for quite some time. 

Well yes Max... but 80 degrees! I have overclocked using many boards for years. I have never had to access the BIOS and reduce  a BIOS temp limit. For example, my Maximus X will OC my 8700K to 5.2 GHz. There is no shut down of the system as a result of a BIOS feature being set to such a  low temp.  Temps in the 90's I have experienced with no BIOS feature intervening. I would be very surprised if board manufacturers are setting temp limits so low. Especially on enthusiast boards. 

not intended as a dig against you.  

I know. I hadn't mentioned HT. 

look it up or use contextual clues to find the appropriate setting(s) in your motherboard UEFI.

I've just had a quick google for the OP's board, and couldn't find any mention of an 80 degree BIOS thermal limit. 

Five Way Optimisation does have a feature where you can "voluntarily" set a max temp of course, and its true that 5WO enters that information into the BIOS, so that feature is present in the BIOS. But that's a voluntary setting, not a BIOS imposed limit. 

Temperature limits have been featured in motherboard BIOS/UEFI for quite some time.

They were years ago, but not with modern boards and components. CPU's throttle back, even VRM's throttle back. 

If you can tell me specifically what this setting is, I'd appreciate it. What is it for your board?

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1