Sign in to follow this  
BadKarmaPT

Finally a new build but...

Those overheat messages and presumably the thresholds related to them are part of the test software suite (OCCT), not the BIOS.  The stress test is hitting the limit set in the software and terminating the test with an overheat warning.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

On 9/8/2019 at 2:22 PM, w6kd said:

Those overheat messages and presumably the thresholds related to them are part of the test software suite (OCCT), not the BIOS.  The stress test is hitting the limit set in the software and terminating the test with an overheat warning.

Yep, that sounds more like it. 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 4:54 AM, martin-w said:

Well yes Max... but 80 degrees! I have overclocked using many boards for years. I have never had to access the BIOS and reduce  a BIOS temp limit. For example, my Maximus X will OC my 8700K to 5.2 GHz. There is no shut down of the system as a result of a BIOS feature being set to such a  low temp.  Temps in the 90's I have experienced with no BIOS feature intervening. I would be very surprised if board manufacturers are setting temp limits so low. Especially on enthusiast boards. 

I know. I hadn't mentioned HT. 

I've just had a quick google for the OP's board, and couldn't find any mention of an 80 degree BIOS thermal limit. 

Five Way Optimisation does have a feature where you can "voluntarily" set a max temp of course, and its true that 5WO enters that information into the BIOS, so that feature is present in the BIOS. But that's a voluntary setting, not a BIOS imposed limit. 

They were years ago, but not with modern boards and components. CPU's throttle back, even VRM's throttle back. 

If you can tell me specifically what this setting is, I'd appreciate it. What is it for your board?

You're arguing against a position I haven't taken.  Show me where I said anything about an overheat message producing a system shutdown.  

The expected outcome of a thermal event is throttling.  Hence the term "thermal throttling".  

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 8:22 AM, w6kd said:

On 9/11/2019 at 8:50 AM, martin-w said:

Yep, that sounds more like it. 

The OP is getting a BSOD along with the overheat message, so the source of the message is secondary to the fact that his system is unstable.

Based on OCCT's "critical temperature" warning functionality, it is likely the source of the messages the OP is seeing.  This feature is user-configurable, both in terms of temperature threshold and whether or not the feature is enabled.  If the user is bothered by the message, the feature can be disabled or the threshold can be increased.  Nonetheless, this doesn't solve the BSOD issue so...

@BadKarmaPT, see the link in the 2nd line of my signature to discover the cause of your BSOD.  Hint: it's vCore.  When overclocking, it's (almost) always vCore.  😁

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 3:29 PM, TechguyMaxC said:

@BadKarmaPT, see the link in the 2nd line of my signature to discover the cause of your BSOD.  Hint: it's vCore.  When overclocking, it's (almost) always vCore.  😁

I will! 

Thank you!

Regards,

Hugo Bravo

LPPT

@BadKarmaPT, a 2080Ti feeding a 1440p display will hardly get it out of first gear. Why not choose a UHD monitor?

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@BadKarmaPT, a 2080Ti feeding a 1440p display will hardly get it out of first gear. Why not choose a UHD monitor?

Being the last thing I picked, I was kind of limited in my choices budget wise when it got to choosing a new monitor.

I wanted an Ultra Wide monitor with a decent size and this one seemed like a good choice.

Regards,

Hugo Bravo

LPPT

@BadKarmaPT, your choice but the monitor is your window into flying. It should be near the top of your priorities. If you’re certain you prefer the extra wide view over instrument clarity then fine.

But having experienced what UHD gives in terms of being able to read every subdivision in a gauge I could never go back to lower resolutions. 2160 vertical pixels versus 1440. 50% more. Imagine what that does for clarity.

Regarding budget a good monitor will last you longer than most components and is a long-term investment. You’re paying more for the graphics card than the display.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

28 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@BadKarmaPT, your choice but the monitor is your window into flying. It should be near the top of your priorities. If you’re certain you prefer the extra wide view over instrument clarity then fine.

But having experienced what UHD gives in terms of being able to read every subdivision in a gauge I could never go back to lower resolutions. 2160 vertical pixels versus 1440. 50% more. Imagine what that does for clarity.

Regarding budget a good monitor will last you longer than most components and is a long-term investment. You’re paying more for the graphics card than the display.

Thank you for your input, Ray. I appreciate it.

You make a valid point but I wanted a monitor for more than just P3D. I also play first person shooters and driving simulators so Ultra Wide had to be a compromise.

I understand what you mean regarding instrument clarity but I used to run FS2004, FSX and more recently P3D on a 24" HP monitor running at 1920x1200.

So running P3D at 3440x1440 on this 34" Ultra Wide monitor is somewhat of an improvement IMHO.

Regards,

Hugo Bravo

LPPT

Hugo, If you’re playing other than P3D then you’ve chosen a display that best suits you. That’s fine. When I think back 20 years we were running FS98 probably at 800*600 and thought it wonderful. How times change! 😁

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

20 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hugo, If you’re playing other than P3D then you’ve chosen a display that best suits you. That’s fine. When I think back 20 years we were running FS98 probably at 800*600 and thought it wonderful. How times change! 😁

Indeed they have, Ray.

I remember flying that default Learjet out of Meigs in FS 4.0 thinking it couldn't get better than that. 🤣

• Like 1

Regards,

Hugo Bravo

LPPT