Sign in to follow this  
felan09

Flight1 GTN750/650 - which database?

Hi guys,
I recently purchased the Flight1 GTN750/650 and I am wondering which database I should choose? The Garmin or the Jeppesen one?
Thx for your advices and kind regards
dirk

One is Worldwide and one is USA only.. your choice..

Bert

thx Bert...I should have red the describtion in the Trainer better before asking...:blush:

Hmmm, help me understand...

In ELITE v9 XTS we also have Flight 1 now. ELITE 8.7 and previous were RealityXP-based.

These come with a rather outdated database ( 2007 if I'm not wrong ) so, I was considering an update, but was promptly scared by the price tag... Made me consider going P3D or XP11 + Flight1 or RealityXP, but on those platforms, how can I update the GPS Nav database and what are the ammounts involved?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Jose,

There's a pinned topic in the Reality XP general discussion forum regarding Garmin databases.  If there was an updated database for free, you can bet it would be posted in the Flight1 and Reality XP forums as soon as it was released.  I think they would love to distribute these databases if made available.  Unfortunately the databases are not free and any discussions on the location of current or even older databases is not legal as they were illegally obtained and the databases still cost money even though they are old.  I have heard that real world pilots do have a subscription to the databases and they can modify it to work with their Reality XP or Flight1 products.  They legally own the databases as they have a subscription so they can do this in their home but it would be illegal for them to distribute the modified database by sharing a link to the product on say OneDrive or Dropbox. AVSIM has already been notified that we are on the edge of piracy discussing these databases or individual's requesting copyrighted databases.  Garmin is very protective of their databases and, yes, they are expensive.

Tom placed a line in the AVSIM Terms of Service regarding piracy:

Piracy, Key Sharing, Link Sharing, EULA Busting, etc.: Any message, post or topic heading that appears to advocate or perpetuates piracy, shares cracked software, links to or other like material, advocates avoidance of or contravening of End User License Agreements (EULAs) or can be interpreted as approval of piracy or EULA "busting", will be immediately removed and the poster banned. Piracy of software destroys the basis of our hobby and AVSIM enforces anti-piracy policies strictly. If you are a pirate, advocate piracy, or use pirated material, do not register. We place EULA busting in the same category.

I have seen some individuals post hints on where to find the databases and that is illegal too as it attempts to circumvent the Terms of Service and Garmin's protection of copyrighted information.  The same applies to subscription airac data from Navigraph unless it is distributed with the product.

Periodically, Garmin does update the GTN Trainer for free as shown at the following link - https://ipadpilotnews.com/2017/10/garmin-gtn-avionics-trainer-gets-big-update-now-free/.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Jim

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thx Jim,

and of course, I wasn't even by far suggesting any kind of illegal use of databases, on the contrary just trying to find out if they're cheaper for P3D / XP than for ELITE, which is my main GA / IFR sim.

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

7 hours ago, jcomm said:

Hmmm, help me understand...

In ELITE v9 XTS we also have Flight 1 now. ELITE 8.7 and previous were RealityXP-based.

These come with a rather outdated database ( 2007 if I'm not wrong ) so, I was considering an update, but was promptly scared by the price tag... Made me consider going P3D or XP11 + Flight1 or RealityXP, but on those platforms, how can I update the GPS Nav database and what are the ammounts involved?

Flight1 and RXP use the same Garmin GNS and GTN Trainers, so the databases are identical.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

19 hours ago, jcomm said:

Thx Jim,

and of course, I wasn't even by far suggesting any kind of illegal use of databases, on the contrary just trying to find out if they're cheaper for P3D / XP than for ELITE, which is my main GA / IFR sim.

Understand Jose.  As you know a lot of discussions about databases soon start to go south with requests for how to get them, etc.  My comments were mostly for the AVSIM community.

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10