Sign in to follow this  
Rogen

California USA - Picking the way through clouds - GA flying

A bit of flying in California USA and finding my way through clouds in the trusty A2A C182 (trusty only provided it's kept maintained that is).

The A2A C182 is a great plane to fly, load it up with passengers and cargo and it handles very differently to just a single pilot and can be quite the handful to fly.

And it you don't do the walkarounds and neglect maintenance it's just as likely to fail (see end pic...)

EBF426108A2E02A8F4B55574F213803B5048BD7E

Found a gap!

09A07B3C12E253D9678B39E3BEF81918E75DAAC6

And into it I go

F65FD923435EF00D0E493F5A7C7AC1461F16BD62

And out the other side.

576FE69CE34BED716B288C967357D8C481F2519D

Lack of maintenance on a A2A accusim aircraft can result in falling out of the sky!

C6684B85DE7C1196EC2FEF611EB3D06782D997E7

EFF2C2A0FF6C483C2878AC880BC60D22F9D7E419

C0CBFC03B65DFC21034AE35735895D2DEDE98236

• Like 5

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Fantastic shots, I really like the second and fourth one! But what happened later on, did you run out of fuel or forgot to clean the spark plugs? No way to sail to the ground? 😊😊

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

No kick the tires and light the fires for you.  Fun airplane and yes, forget or simply ignore maintenance at your peril.

Rogen, nice shots, thanks for sharing.....

MSFS2020

MICHAEL J     proud supporter

KJAX   FLORIDA

Hey Folks,

Thanks for the comments.

The last three pics are from FSX-SE back when the A2A C182 was my first A2A purchase / experience.

And yeah I treated it a little roughly (didn't know much about A2A aircraft back then), most planes I was flying back then (the defaults) didn't seem to care or matter if the flaps were dropped at speed or otherwise abused.

However the last three pics were the result of a total unexpected and completely sudden failure, I guess the flaps had accumulated enough damage from my rough flying to just suddently cause the type of fail seen.

Taught me to actually perform the walkarounds, look for damage and review the aircraft in the A2A hanger a bit more often (than not at all :happy: ).

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

Nice pictures 🙂

I see you are using "Real Trim".

This addon looks interesting. Could you give some feedback.

Thanks.

Gérard

1 hour ago, gaab said:

I see you are using "Real Trim".

This addon looks interesting. Could you give some feedback.

Well, hmmm.

It works by the pilot first positioning the joystick for level flight, then you hit the Real Trim key and release the joystick, at which point the joystick is "Trimmed" and you can fine tune it with the mouse wheel.

It installs a vjoy driver which was a bit of an issue for myself due to having it already installed (a really old version though) but I worked through it.

P3D needs to be configured in the axis dept. so that the vjoy driver is what controls the elevator, simple to do as it is just axis assignments.

There is a tool for inserting the required config into aircraft, I only did it once to test, then with the sample configuration I redid to make the otherwise bigass RealTrim button in the LH bottom corner a lot smaller and very transparent so as to not be so noticable, and similar for the RealTrim gauge in the top LH corner.

I then use the pre-configuration to manually insert the modified RealTrim config into the aircraft.cfg file, note it's not difficult, essentually it is just a copy of what the tool does but it's me doing the copy and pasting and number updating.

There are a few quirks.

Occasionally it hangs and you loose all elevator control, killing the RealTrim exe off in Task Manager and reloading the aircraft gets elevator control back.

The RealTrim.exe also doesn't quit when P3D is shutdown.

Otherwise it works well enough, the bigass button on the LH bottom corner was my biggest pain but with a little config it is no longer a prob.

Cheers

***Amazing Clouds***

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

12 hours ago, Rogen said:

Well, hmmm

Thank you for this detailed feedback.

Cheers, Gérard

I do not recall, in recent memory, seeing, here, such methods of "Picking the way through clouds - GA flying"...🙂...

Yes, amazing clouds for sure, but amazing pilot too...!