Sign in to follow this  
hossfly72

ATC can't make up it's mind

While flying IFR to Nassau tonight, they tell me to "turn left to heading 125". Within 30 seconds I get the word to "turn right to 155". Again within 30 seconds, we go back to 125, and another few seconds we're back to 155.

why do they do that?

Ah, typical default MS ATC. Just select an approach with transition (if there's one for the runway you want and the route you fly) or switch to another ATC addon.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Do everything you do until the tower tells you to contact someone else. At that point don’t contact the next controller and fly to destination via flight plan.

As you near your destination contact the tower for runway / landing clearance 

basically missing out the middle man, but remaining IFR.

Luke Pype

On 8/24/2019 at 10:43 PM, hossfly72 said:

While flying IFR to Nassau tonight, they tell me to "turn left to heading 125". Within 30 seconds I get the word to "turn right to 155". Again within 30 seconds, we go back to 125, and another few seconds we're back to 155.

why do they do that?

Yes that was my frustration too with the default ATC which lead me to look for an add-on. I really like the the default ATC and of the hundreds off light I did since MS FS came out I only actually had this occur a few times, so not bad really.

Since I wanted to try something new with SID and STARS I decided to look for a 3rd. party ATC add-on and with the help and Feedback from this Forum I decided to go with PRO ATC X since it suited my overall needs.

It's a great produce, It's ATC; generates a Flight Plan (with SID & STARS) can import Flt Plans, export them including to FSX and integrated with most of the aircraft out there. Now it does have it's issues which is frustrating at times since it's basic things that I never experienced with the default FSX ATC. 

To be honest, for the age of the default ATC and it's free it's the best deal you can get. It does have it's issues, so are the other add-ons which are pricey, newer and still they have basic ATC issues that the default ATC doesn't have.

If you really don't want to use SID's / STARS and all of the other details associated with a flight planner; and you really want to use an ATC, my advice is to stick with the default ATC and improvise as Luke suggested.

Hope this help and good luck.

Best Regards.

Forshaw.

On 8/25/2019 at 12:52 AM, hossfly72 said:

Maybe it's time to get a new ATC... I'll do some looking around. Thanks!

Hi Hoss,

Check out "Radar Contact 4.3" - - - I've been using it on every IFR flight for the past 10 years or so... Started with it in FS9 and it still works in P3Dv4.5...

If you like it - then download the "meatwater" mods in the File Library - as all the wav files were enhanced by a sound engineer making them sound far more realistic to me...

It's absolutely FREE...

Previously Payware - it's still great...

Meatwater Mods:

https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=meatwater+rc4&CatID=root&Go=Search

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Thanks very much for sharing. Didn't know this was being offered, it is definitely worth trying.

Kindest Regards.

Forshaw,

Downloading RC as I type. "Meatwater"? Sounds like a weird, thin stew, but I'll give it a try also. Just looked it up and found ten files.

Am I correct in assuming that all 10 parts must be downloaded? They're not just updates and part 10 will be enough?

Hi Hoss,

Yeah - 10 files by Nick Schreger - you need all 10...

Regards,

Scott

15 minutes ago, hossfly72 said:

Downloading RC as I type. "Meatwater"? Sounds like a weird, thin stew, but I'll give it a try also. Just looked it up and found ten files.

Am I correct in assuming that all 10 parts must be downloaded? They're not just updates and part 10 will be enough?

downloaded and installed (minus the Meatwater for now). I also downloaded RC4encrypt.exe, and I assume this is the registration key?

I fired up Rc4 and it still asked me for a key. I just sent the email. So even though it's now a free product, it still has to be registered or did I foul up the encrypt.exe process? I was computer literate during the Win95-Win98se days.. Now it's just a jumbled mess to me.

7 minutes ago, hossfly72 said:

downloaded and installed (minus the Meatwater for now). I also downloaded RC4encrypt.exe, and I assume this is the registration key?

I fired up Rc4 and it still asked me for a key. I just sent the email. So even though it's now a free product, it still has to be registered or did I foul up the encrypt.exe process? I was computer literate during the Win95-Win98se days.. Now it's just a jumbled mess to me.

Hi Hoss,

The email won’t work since commercial support has stopped - you have to open RC4 and take the number from the splash screen - open up the encrypt tool and paste the number into the encrypt tool - then run the encrypt tool and that will generate the official license code for RC4 - so paste that generated code back into RC4 to officially license it to you...

Regards,

Scott

Oh Lord! I feel stupid now. Sad, since I used to rebuild computers and I was actually able to navigate around the skies before GPS became commonplace.  Thanks Scott! We seem to be functioning now.

Gonna start downloading the Meatwater packs..

that name just cracks me up.

any hints or tips on installing them?

Hi Hoss,

LOL - yep - that name has been easy for me to remember... Glad you’re getting it sorted...

Yeah - simple installation - unzip them all to the “Winwood” directory than just overwrite the “Winwood” directory in your RC4 directory - there are tens of thousands of files so it might take a while...

RC4 does a good job of of navigating - it should vastly improve your IFR experience - everything is run through the simconnect text window with appropriate number presses... Just make sure you select your aircraft type in the settings as it will determine how ATC handles you...

Enjoy...

Regards,

Scott

2 hours ago, hossfly72 said:

Oh Lord! I feel stupid now. Sad, since I used to rebuild computers and I was actually able to navigate around the skies before GPS became commonplace.  Thanks Scott! We seem to be functioning now.

Gonna start downloading the Meatwater packs..

that name just cracks me up.

any hints or tips on installing them?

Edited by scottb613