Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

AG Draw Distance

Has anyone found a way to get the AG to draw all the way to the horizon? Even with the AG distance slider all the way to right, I still get these annoying loading tiles in the distance. I also see in the distance the line where the AG stops displaying. One would think that after multiple updates to v4 that this issue would have already been addressed be fixed. Maybe there's a hidden secret that I'm not aware of, such as:

[SCENERY]
SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE=

Increasing tweak the draw distance to 128000 does not extend the AG any further than just moving the draw distance slider all the way to the right. If someone can shine a light on this unresolved issue, I'd really appreciate it.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Even I want to know about this.

But is this setting same as in the P3Dv4 Settings? if I increase autogen draw distance, fps drops happens like crazy.  Keeping autogen draw distance at default or medium - but I can load up on all trees and buildings and barely any fps drop.

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

P3DV4.5. definitely changed this.. with performance considerations driving the changes, as best I know.

Again, as best I know:  You cannot have Autogen all the way to the horizon, and the recommended setting for Autogen Distance is: Medium, if you do not want to see popping Autogen anywhere.  :wink:

Use your weather and visibilty settings to introduce some haze in the distance and all looks pretty good.

Not what you wanted to hear, I am afraid..

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bert

4 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

P3DV4.5. definitely changed this.. with performance considerations driving the changes, as best I know.

Again, as best I know:  You cannot have Autogen all the way to the horizon, and the recommended setting for Autogen Distance is: Medium, if you do not want to see popping Autogen anywhere.  :wink:

Use your weather and visibilty settings to introduce some haze in the distance and all looks pretty good.

Not what you wanted to hear, I am afraid..

Thanks Bert. I know that you prefer the medium setting. When I set the slider to medium I get the boundary even closer. As I fly to the boundary the AG smoothly mixes in with the terrain. If my visibility was capped at 10-20 miles that would work, but sometimes AS sets realistic visibility far out into the horizon so that I can enjoy the beautiful sun sets here in FL.

The interesting thing is that increasing the slider doesn't affect my fps that much and the slider works, but the above tweak does nothing on my system.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

47 minutes ago, DJJose said:

The interesting thing is that increasing the slider doesn't affect my fps that much and the slider works, but the above tweak does nothing on my system.

The risk in increasing the distance is getting popping of autogen in dense urban areas..  Your call..

Bert

Hi,

i7 6700k 4,4 Ghz 32 GB Ram, GTX 1080ti, Res 3840x2160 4k monitor 60htz,

AG draw Distance MED

SCENERY Complex Very Dense

AG Veg DENSE

AG Buildings DENSE

I use High Res Terr Textures in p3d 4.5 HF1

P3D tweak  cfg file only edited the line

MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000.00000

Still Autogen textures popping up and some  black textures

Any idea please or solution?

Georgios

6 hours ago, georgiosgiannoukos said:

Georgios

Not sure there is a "solution".. this may just be the way it is..

There will always be some buildings popping up somewhere, although with autogen distance set to Medium, you should not be seeing whole autogen tiles popping up..

Bert

Hello, not whole autogen  popping up, but it’s annoying and feels so unrealistic, honestly seeing it. As for black airport buildings sometimes, according Rob, editing 320000.000000 in p3d cfg supposed to fix it BUT unfortunately still seeing it in some areas. Don’t know anyway.

Thanks

Georgios

You are hoping for perfection... but P3D+addons  is mostly pretty good, but not perfect.. as you have found out.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

19 hours ago, georgiosgiannoukos said:

Hi,

i7 6700k 4,4 Ghz 32 GB Ram, GTX 1080ti, Res 3840x2160 4k monitor 60htz,

AG draw Distance MED

SCENERY Complex Very Dense

AG Veg DENSE

AG Buildings DENSE

I use High Res Terr Textures in p3d 4.5 HF1

P3D tweak  cfg file only edited the line

MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000.00000

Georgios

Those settings are a bit high for an i7 6700k at 4.4 ghz trying to push 4k at 60hz refresh rate.

The MAX_TEXTURE you run makes it even rougher on the hardware.

A sim set up like that is going to try its best to maintain 60 (unless you're running a 1/2 vsync setting) and that will mean very little left over for texture loading or autogen.  Thus you get autogen popping and black textures.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

On 8/25/2019 at 1:17 PM, DJJose said:

Has anyone found a way to get the AG to draw all the way to the horizon? Even with the AG distance slider all the way to right, I still get these annoying loading tiles in the distance. I also see in the distance the line where the AG stops displaying. One would think that after multiple updates to v4 that this issue would have already been addressed be fixed. Maybe there's a hidden secret that I'm not aware of, such as:

[SCENERY]
SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE=

Increasing tweak the draw distance to 128000 does not extend the AG any further than just moving the draw distance slider all the way to the right. If someone can shine a light on this unresolved issue, I'd really appreciate it.

I think you need to alter AUTOGEN_DRAW_DISTANCE=128000 which is the max number you can have in this setting

As has been said though, many users suffer from slow loading patchy drawing of autogen at high settings on uber rigs, so YMMV 

Edited by kand

I use FXAA 4xSAA NO VSync no triple Buffering Unlimited FPS

My FPS are around min 26 max 46-49

is it going to help if I run 1/2 VSync setting in my NVidia control panel ?

24 minutes ago, georgiosgiannoukos said:

I use FXAA 4xSAA NO VSync no triple Buffering Unlimited FPS

My FPS are around min 26 max 46-49

Don't know about the NVidia control panel (it doesn't work for myself reliably), however RivaTuner Statistics Server does work quite well in VSync/2 mode (half monitor sync rate).

Having a monitor that can sync down to 30 Hz is even better unless you can afford to run a delided 8 Ghz liquid nitrogen cooled CPU (sic) and a new Titan GFX card.

RivaTuner Statistics Server locks the framerate @ 30 fps in VSync (so it's very smooth) on a 60 Hz monitor mode (because most monitors don't go down to 30 Hz).

But if you can achieve the same result with NVidia go for it.

Locking @ 30 Hz  vsync (30 fps) not only should provide a smooth flying experieince, it would also leave both CPU and GPU headroom for loading scenery etc.

So you can push up those sliders for higher gfx fidelity.

I also find FTTF Dynamic actually does a pretty good job at getting scenery to load via its manipulations of P3D behind the scenes.

The below thread has further info/details on RivaTuner Statistics Server and a vid showing it in action. There has been plenty of discussions in the past and a little searching should bring them up for review.

Cheers

• Upvote 2

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

6 hours ago, georgiosgiannoukos said:

That does not work in P3D (only in FSX..)

Try RTSS instead.

Bert