Sign in to follow this  
JoshuaBrown

Need some advice on weather addons!

I'm currently using P3D v4. I don't have any sort of weather addons at all, and I feel like I'm missing out.

From reading, everyone talks about Active Sky. Now, looking at their website, I'd need ASP4 for a weather engine, seen as though I'd like to fly in real time weather. But ASP4 doesn't include any textures, so I'd need ASCA for weather textures so clouds don't look ugly, right?
So that's £50 for ASP4, and then another £20 for ASCA? Ouch, that's pricey.

Could anyone confirm if this is correct? 

There was a similar thread just a couple of days ago.

In a nutshell, most, I believe, run with the ASP4 / REX SF3D combination. Do your own research though as these are not the only Wx engines/Texture generators available. What's good for the goose is not always good for the gander.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

I use Rex skyforce for all of my sky/cloud textures and i use fsglobalweather for weather or you can use the rex skyforce weather engine aswell

Active Sky, ASCA, Envtex with EnvShade works fine with me, easy install and settings are easy to tweak, all have large community input for various scenarios. Excellent support from the developers.

steve southey

4 minutes ago, JustanotherPilot said:

Active Sky, ASCA, Envtex with EnvShade works fine with me, easy install and settings are easy to tweak, all have large community input for various scenarios. Excellent support from the developers.

Hi Folks,

It ain't cheap but ditto...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

1 hour ago, JoshuaBrown said:

So that's £50 for ASP4, and then another £20 for ASCA? Ouch, that's pricey.

Could anyone confirm if this is correct? 

Wait for a sale (which may be coming soon...).  👍

Greg

REX Sky Force includes a weather engine and cloud textures and it’s on sale right now. But nothing beats ASP4. You could hold out for a sale on ASP4 and it works well in conjunction with Sky Force.

3 hours ago, speedyTC said:

There was a similar thread just a couple of days ago.

In a nutshell, most, I believe, run with the ASP4 / REX SF3D combination. Do your own research though as these are not the only Wx engines/Texture generators available. What's good for the goose is not always good for the gander.

+1

Intel i9 13900KS - MSI MEG Z790 ACE Gaming - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - Corsair 32GB DDR5 7200MHz Dominator Platinum RGB - Samsung 1TB + 3x 2TB 980 Pro M.2 SSD Raid 0 - LG 4K 55" OLED C1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 PSU - Virpil Constellation Alpha L & R Grips + MongoosT-50CM2 Grip + MongoosT-50CM2 Base + MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle + Control Panel #2 + Ace Collection Pedals - Honeycomb Alpha XPC + Bravo - Stream Deck XL + PLUS - Corsair K100 OPX RGB Platinum + Nightsword RGB + MM800 RGB Polaris + 7000D Airflow Black Case - Tobii Eye Tracker 5 using OpenTrack - Wharfedale Evo 4.2 Speakers - SVS SB-2000 Pro Subwoofer - Bluesound POWERNODE - Herman Miller Embody Chair Black - ButtKicker Gamer PRO

REX Sky Force is one great weather program for me, it generally correct in most situations.

Great interface too!

Active Sky is the weather program of choice for me. Then I bought ASCA when it was on sale and was disappointed with the cloud textures - way too small scaled structures, just not looking right. The sky textures are overdone (too colorful) and when you choose dynamic changing sky textures you will get strange effects of sudden color changes (it affects haze and cloud color as well!).

Now I settled for the P3D standard cloud and sky textures together with ASCA's dynamic changing cloud models for best realism. I might probably buy REX Sky Force when it's on sale, but all these texture replacement programs need a ridiculous amount of SSD space which I better save for Real Earth...

I use Active Sky Next and Rex Texture Direct Enhanced Edition with Soft Clouds.

ASN gives you great live, or sim date/time based historical weather with just a couple of mouse clicks and includes the option of installing a weather radar gauge.

Plus the Rex Texture Direct application not only gives a large choice of cloud types, it also replaces many other textures such as water, runways, runway markings, runway signs, airport lights, terrain bump mapping, surface refraction, sunset skies and even includes sound effects such as wind, rain and thunder..

You can also build a theme and make it publicly available directly from within the app, or download someone elses theme to try out yourself.

I like it for the type of flying I do.

I recently uploaded a few pics fo flying in clouds to the AVSIM Screen shots if you want to see what they look like. The theme in this instance is a downloaded one named "Flight Sim Jewels - Pacific" with my own personal mods, it's from Flight Sim Jewels - the Hawaiian Islands scenery dev crew.

Texure Direct clouds

Cheers

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

On 8/25/2019 at 9:02 PM, SP2472 said:

REX Sky Force is one great weather program for me, it generally correct in most situations.

Great interface too!

As a long time user of Opus FSI (until a recent M$ update nuked it for me), I switched over to REX and feel the weather rendering isn't nearly as accurate. Clouds popping in and out based on updates, inaccurate representation of real conditions and stale use of WX makes it just awful.

• Upvote 1