Sign in to follow this  
arwasairl

What's your method for texturing sceneries?

Hey all, so I'm currently developing Mineta San Jose international airport (KSJC) for Prepar3D v4 and I do have some sort of proficiency with 3D modelling. 

However, texturing is something I'm worried about. It's not really how to make UVs or how to make them show in-sim (as I know the basics and essentials on how to do that) i want to know your methods of obtaining / making these textures, (whether form Google Maps, using Photoshop, substance painter, etc...) 

I would also like to know what's your method of actually placing the textures on your scenery. Do you make a UV in 3DSMax and import it to Photoshop? Do you make the model and import it to Sketchup then place the textures?

Another thing i want to know is how would you go about texturing the ground, as I also don't really know how to do that.  (texturing runways, taxiways, ramp, etc...)

PAHLMfJ.jpg

Edited by arwasairl

Aaron Kim

MOS 8502 @ 2Mhz, 512 KB 1750 Ram Expansion Unit, VIC-II E (40 columns mode), SID 6581 3-voice sound chip. 

그래요!! 

8 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I'm just learning 3DSMax and working on KCCR and KHIO.  KCCR is a little intimidating for a 3D modeling beginner, 4 runways, golf course, golf range, kiddy playground, many hangars, Tower, many pumps and ground equipment, broken aircraft, stepped hangar doors, etc. etc.   What did NOT help me at all were the P3D PBR oil rig sample from the SDK, texture file paths are hard coded and it seems to have been created from a very old version of 3DSMax ... I tried to convert them but still missing files that I couldn't find.

Thanks Rob. I live in the KSJC area so it shouldn't be too hard getting pictures of the parking lot and such... It's just the part of the terminal facing away from the parking lot I'm worried about. Such as texturing jetways, GSE vehicles, ramp lights, etc. as KSJC is not a large airport, but also not a very small one either. So obtaining pictures for those objects and using them as reference might be a challenge. Also I'm wondering, do you "draw" your textures or do you use like, let's say, use a concrete wall texture template and add some extra detail? My father is a ramp agent for KSJC (his station is based in Terminal B) So obtaining terminal B pictures aren't hard, as I could ask my father to take some pictures. For terminal A, it's a different story. I have a cassette tape (from one of those Canon cassette tape video camcorders) and about 10 ~ 15 years ago my dad brought it to work and decided to do some filming. At the time, he was stationed in terminal A.  However he was filming the break room and the T-Point (the luggage loading area). So I'm not sure.

Edited by n4gix
REMOVED EXCESSIVE QUOTE!!! Please don't quote the entire post you are replying to!

Aaron Kim

MOS 8502 @ 2Mhz, 512 KB 1750 Ram Expansion Unit, VIC-II E (40 columns mode), SID 6581 3-voice sound chip. 

그래요!!