Sign in to follow this  
ben alom

Auto step climb

Hi there, when I fly the 777 and set STEP CLIMB manually in the CDU the auto step climb won't work..
What should I do?

13 hours ago, ben alom said:

What should I do?

Usually means that you're trying to outsmart the plane - don't :wink:

Set the plane up as if you would if you were leaving the plane to the relief crew, who will then handle the plane. In other words, don't set the cruise altitude higher than where you are currently. If your initial cruise is FL320, set 32000 in the MCP altitude window. The automation will increase it to the step altitude when it needs to (again, just as the relief crew would).

Additionally, ensure that a step is shown on the VNAV page before walking away.

Kyle Rodgers

21 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Usually means that you're trying to outsmart the plane - don't :wink:

Set the plane up as if you would if you were leaving the plane to the relief crew, who will then handle the plane. In other words, don't set the cruise altitude higher than where you are currently. If your initial cruise is FL320, set 32000 in the MCP altitude window. The automation will increase it to the step altitude when it needs to (again, just as the relief crew would).

Additionally, ensure that a step is shown on the VNAV page before walking away.

That's exactly what I did but it didn't work..
I'll try again maybe it was a bug

Thanks anyway

Edited by ben alom

Are you referring to the insertion of a step climb in the LEGS page?

If so, any step climbs calculated by the CDU before your inserted step climb will be erased. For example, if you depart LAX for CDG, and have an initial cruise at FL310, and enter a step to FL350 somewhere near Gander, the usual calculated step to 330 will be erased, but any after your /350S entry will remain. So, you'll be stuck at 310 all the way to the step climb, and after completing your manually inserted step climb (if you're light enough) the aircraft will climb to 370 when the FMC calculated step is reached.

However, the auto step climb function should work for either a manually pre-inserted step or the default FMC calculated points. The only reason this shouldn't occur is if you are not in VNAV ie. in FLCH followed by ALT HOLD modes

Rashid Yacine

4 hours ago, ben alom said:

I'll try again maybe it was a bug

Definitely not a bug. I've been using it for years without issue.

Kyle Rodgers