Sign in to follow this  
Noooch

In-game VS Satellite

On 3/6/2020 at 7:44 AM, Shack95 said:

Until today I wasn‘t so sure about that but now, after that Leeds screenshot, I think it‘s safe to assume that indeed they do. 

I believe it makes sense as I think the licensed aerial and satellite data is initially raw and then it is processed somehow by the teams responsible of the developement and maintenance of MS services featuring the data.

For instance, the data must be processed in xy way to be implemented in Bing...

And it could happen that the raw data that was not yet in the pipeline of the Bing team ends up being processed by Asobo before the Bing team does...

So of course I am not 100% sure but MSFS could be using the Raw aerial / satellite data and not the already processed Bing data like we do in 3rd party software to generate orthophoto scenery. 

• Like 1

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

2 hours ago, Shack95 said:

Any idea what this grainy texture on the left in the Arches National Park screenshot  could be? 3d stones? It doesn‘t seem to be part of the ortho image. I‘ve seen this before in other desert screenshots but I can‘t tell what it is. 

That or bushes. I've seen both (stones and bushes) in other screenshots, but on that one is hard to tell.

About the way the handled the bad orthos (a lot of clouds) I don't if I like it. It's not blending well.

2 hours ago, Shack95 said:

Any idea what this grainy texture on the left in the Arches National Park screenshot  could be? 3d stones? It doesn‘t seem to be part of the ortho image. I‘ve seen this before in other desert screenshots but I can‘t tell what it is. 

It could be the effect produced by layers of thin decal textures (rock, sand or grass etc), a process used to mask the smudged and blurry effect of the Aerial images while sharpening the whole thing. 

Or it could be also the equivalent of Normal maps to create the illusion of relief in textures...  

They look like 3D stones indeed yet I doubt they are 3D, but who knows with Asobo... 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ca_metal said:

About the way the handled the bad orthos (a lot of clouds) I don't if I like it. It's not blending well.

It doesn't blend at all.  

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

14 minutes ago, domkle said:

It doesn't blend at all.  

I still think there was a misunderstanding as for what kind of help the Azure AI offered for the project... 

Processing visually a giant database of aerial imagery is a mega task involving Machine or Deep learning (not sure about the AI process there). 

If this thing was a logical and accessible task, MS would have done it for Bing before MSFS was re-born. 

But who knows, maybe MSFS brought on the table new ideas. So it could be that the Aerial database in the Alpha of MSFS will be replaced at one point with the cleaned and retouched aerial data version once the whole automated task is complete (if any...)

Same goes with the footprints. We were almost certain the AI will scan and deliver vector footprints for the rest of the planet as it did for US and CA (with the data MS released a couple of years ago). In some screenshots we see clearly missing Footprints replaced with pureply procedural infrastructure that do not match the aerial footprints...

So in this field as well, it could be that some process to fetch the rest of the footprint data is ongoing and it will be implemented when ready...

But I think many still believe that by simply pressing on a button the AI will do any type of magic for anything related to MSFS.

Edited by Claviateur

1 hour ago, ca_metal said:

Me neither. But I'm glad they don't shy away from showing us imperfect scenery. They showed in the past that they can remove clouds (e.g. in the Thurston Peak screenshot). I wonder why it doesn’t work here. Maybe the image is just too cloudy. Let’s hope not as there are much worse areas in Bing Maps.

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Wasnt that other aircraft at 1.58 a bit close in the above video?

The one of landing at LSGG

Edited by ILSFREAK
afterthought

14 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

I'm glad they don't shy away from showing us imperfect scenery.  

I am with you on that one. They must not blind their future customers of potential flaws

If you have kept it, could you, please, give us the long/lat of the Arches Nat'l park pic ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

31 minutes ago, domkle said:

If you have kept it, could you, please, give us the long/lat of the Arches Nat'l park pic ?

coordinates are: 38.788 / -109.677

You can also find it on this map (it's in Utah): https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1IJYlVvT9fy9VQ9voO6cp-JS3LCBGCetW&ll=-3.81666561775622e-14%2C-94.31516294999989&z=1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Speaking of this map, does this guy still update it with new locations ?

edit: yes, many new locations have been added indeed !

Edited by divide

1 hour ago, Shack95 said:

coordinates are: 38.788 / -109.677

Thank you

I wonder whether it is not a place holder. It doesn't blend at all and as much as we can see it doesn't seem even textured.

it reminds me the white salt lakes in Orbx SoCal, which are a sore for the eyes in an otherwise rather good scenery. 

Edited by domkle

Dominique

2 hours ago, domkle said:

I wonder whether it is not a place holder. It doesn't blend at all and as much as we can see it doesn't seem even textured.

Possible. That would explain the regular shape of those patches.

Edited by Shack95

7 hours ago, Shack95 said:

Any idea what this grainy texture on the left in the Arches National Park screenshot  could be? 3d stones?

You mean below the cloud?  Could it be rain or just fog/cloud?

I think the stuff that looks like snow, is actually a cloud in the source photo.  When looking at Bing Maps you see clouds in the area.  

So I don't think Azure AI removed the cloud like it is supposed to.  Instead it ends up looking like snow since it is painted on the ground.

10 minutes ago, GlideBy said:

You mean below the cloud?

No, I meant that strange texture on that plain on the left.

I sent Shack95 a PM to clarify which area he is talking about.  And in this image he is talking about area 1.   I think some people are looking at area 5.  https://imgur.com/a/jJzINs6

To me it looks like rocks and bushes.  But on the Bing Map, I don't see rocks in that area.  So maybe the AI added rocks?  Hard to tell with the fisheye.