Sign in to follow this  
Noooch

In-game VS Satellite

I'm also not sure what you mean by 3D road network.

Shouldn't the AI be able to recognize roads in the imagery and put cars onto them without the need of a vector-like road overlay?

Apart from that, good find of the cars. It seems they improved the cars and they fit in much better into the scenery now than in the earlier videos where they looked more like leftovers from FSX.

Edited by RALF9636

@Noooch  I am the one who assumes 🙂 not people.

Because not all Aerial imagery around the globe offer a resolution with roads one can use for VFR reference... This is for consistent road and highway clarity all over the world no matter how variated the imagery is and especially in a VFR engine.

Also because the Photogrammetry areas will naturally have superposed intersections and interchanges as part of the scanned 3D structures while the non photogrammetry areas will have flattened intersections in this case I suppose?

Also because the other simulator with an older engine has 3D highway and superposed interchanges that are useful and convincing for VFR navigation. But I admit the casual roads are not that great... Or that different from FSX...

@RALF9636 Now if the cars are using a track that is the equivalent of the road network, this means most probably and in my opinion that the (Bing?) road data is used for the car tracks and not for building the roads. The Bing data is useful enough to make the car have a network of tracks so the AI is not required here I think...

So I was just assuming the Bing road data would be implemented in a way to render some very convincing road network in such an advanced engine like Asobo's.

Now railways and power lines are not there also I think... These two are also useful for VFR navigation. 

But I could be wrong and this will not happen in V1 perhaps.

Edited by Claviateur
  • Like 2

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

6 hours ago, Shack95 said:

Caraguatatuba, Brazil

tQZeo88.jpgK3hX89t.jpg

wooow what an atmosphere there! Haze, waves, sun, clouds, lighting... all are great!

• Like 2

Uygar

Best Regards

A road network overlay without the AI analyzing the imagery for roads can be problematic when the road data and the imagery are from different times. I assume the Bing road data tends to be more up to date than the imagery. So you might have cars running where there is no road in the imagery yet. Tunnels might also be a problem. I've seen these things in P3D with photoreal scenery and vectored roads.

Edited by RALF9636

6 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

A road network overlay without the AI analyzing the imagery for roads can be problematic when the road data and the imagery are from different times. I assume the Bing road data tends to be more up to date than the imagery. So you might have cars running where there is no road in the imagery yet. Tunnels might also be a problem. I've seen these things in P3D with photoreal scenery and vectored roads.

You are right, the roads data is certainly not sync with the aerial imagery... So perhaps they scanned the aerial imagery for the car tracks as you said.  

But this is an example of 3D interchanges that I assumed could be done way better in an engine like Asobo's...  

4670f519c8ba4416be10c4f68719f564.jpg

Edited by Claviateur
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Claviateur said:

But this is an example of 3D interchanges that I assumed could be done way better in an engine like Asobo's...  

Yes, things like that are going to be interesting...

I thought IFR stood for, I Follow Roads. lol

huey1177.gif

Edited by jpc55

30 minutes ago, jpc55 said:

I thought IFR stood for, I Follow Roads. lol

huey1177.gif

Yeah 😁 So VFR would be Very Flat Roads? 🙈

• Like 1

While I was watching a youtube video, I noticed how really sharp and clear the runways look from far / above. Easily identified in the middle of a natural soft landscape...

I remember we already talked on this forum about the crisp and clean polygons of the runways that stand out from a distance yet this video made me think that, perhaps, any similar shape based on  polygons with similar attributes (ex: secondary roads) would stand out massively all over the soft landscape... 

But this is a screenshot from a video recorded in an old Pre-Alpha build (Sep as the watermark states) so maybe, who knows (and I hope), the level of details in polygon based elements vs distance was softened... 

7PGAyKL.jpg

15 hours ago, Claviateur said:

But I admit the casual roads are not that great... Or that different from FSX...

8 hours ago, Claviateur said:

While I was watching a youtube video, I noticed how really sharp and clear the runways look from far / above. Easily identified in the middle of a natural soft landscape...

I remember we already talked on this forum about the crisp and clean polygons of the runways that stand out from a distance yet this video made me think that, perhaps, any similar shape based on  polygons with similar attributes (ex: secondary roads) would stand out massively all over the soft landscape...

This is exactly what I am afraid of with a road network...

7 minutes ago, Noooch said:

This is exactly what I am afraid of with a road network...

Yes, now that I see the vector/textured polygon effects from a distance, I agree. They might have tried it and saw how harsh it looks, who knows...

Edited by Claviateur

In addition: vector resolution is not very great in bing maps for the roads. If I choose satellite images with road overlays the overlay often is placed beneath the roads. Happens especially in curves.

If they implement it as it is currently in bing maps  I would want to have the option to turn road overlay off. 

We will see what the come up with 🙂

1 hour ago, Jazznow said:

In addition: vector resolution is not very great in bing maps for the roads. If I choose satellite images with road overlays the overlay often is placed beneath the roads. Happens especially in curves.

If they implement it as it is currently in bing maps  I would want to have the option to turn road overlay off. 

We will see what the come up with 🙂

Yes, you right, an implementation of the raw vector data for roads, from Bing or any other provider, is not going to produce consistent results. And it's not something I would expect knowing Asobo's attention to detail and quality work. 

Yet initially, when I was questioning the absence of roads, I thought that since the footprint data was implemented almost as is, at least in the screenshots we discussed here, perhaps the roads would have been as well as a first draft...

Edited by Claviateur

From the May 14 development update screen shot a distinctive Volcanic top down aerial view of Mt Taranaki, Egmont National Park, North Island, New Zealand.

o3MXGlk.png

Bing Satellite imagery

UUuPJc8.jpg

xwlb9e0.jpg

• Like 6