Sign in to follow this  
TheBoom

VR newbie, Rift S or Odyssey +?

As the title says, I’m interested to know which is better if solely for P3d. I don’t plan on playing vr native games. Only sims and maybe a few supported fps games. 

Seems like a toss up between the two with some saying the rift s is slightly better and some on odyssey plus’s side. 

Is the text really hard to read on the odyssey plus? Seems like a major factor for P3D since it’s already blurry for me at the default zoom with a 27inch 1440p at 4xSSAA. 

Also some say Oculus software works better with P3D compared to WMR  

I’m aware there a lot of other factors as well and I’d like to hear experiences of anyone who used both with P3D before. 

I have both, and while the Odyssey has a brighter, more colorful picture, the sweet spot is very small, and the combination of windows mixed reality software and steam Vr together is mega-clunky and annoying, as are the super sub-par wmr controllers.

The headset is also very uncomfortable.

I would say Rift-S, despite the sub-par sound.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Thanks for the reply. I heard the odyssey was designed for Asian faces so not very comfortable for Caucasians and the like. 

Judging by your experience it seems the rift is way more compatible though. 

Does the Odyssey have to go through steam VR to access P3D’s native VR?

is it possible to use either with speakers instead of the in built drivers?

I think P3Ds native vr may be self contained, but if you want to run anything else.........

Both can be used with speakers, and the Rift-S has a headphone jack.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Thanks. Decided to go with the Rift s based on your replies and other reviews. Seems the anti sde blur of the O+ is pretty bad with text. 

On a side note do you have grey hazing when flying at night? Someone said the LCD of the Rift s isn’t very good with deep blacks. 

Edited by TheBoom

True, the Odyssey has much deeper blacks, while an LCD has a very dark gray.

On the other hand, those dark blacks blur and smear when you turn your head quickly, and I find that actually even more annoying.

Take your choice! 😃

https://mobile.twitter.com/marcedwards/status/1053519077958803456?lang=en

Devons rig

From the latest reviews I've been watching, ex. MRTV etc. it seems the HP Reverb has the best resolution and at the moment and may be the best for Simmers. 

I personally have the Vive Pro and have no experience with any other HMD.  Lots of choices out there now.  

Good luck

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

The grey haze is a result of the LCD displays. I own both the Rift S and the HP Reverb. It's an issue with both. VR still has its drawbacks. I'm new to it but they're making progress. You'll be happy with the Rift S. The Oculus software is much easier to use than the Steam VR/ Windows Mixed Reality.

NAX669.png

Yes the HP reverb seemed promising. Unfortunately due to the issues with it they pulled it out and won’t be in stock until end September I think? They’ve fixed the issues though. 

Due to room space or lack thereof I’ve had to exclude all non inside out tracking HMDs so the Vive pro isn’t an option. 

I think the rift s seems to be the best or simplest option now so I’ve decided.

Thanks for all the input guys.

1 hour ago, TheBoom said:

Yes the HP reverb seemed promising. Unfortunately due to the issues with it they pulled it out and won’t be in stock until end September I think? They’ve fixed the issues though. 

Due to room space or lack thereof I’ve had to exclude all non inside out tracking HMDs so the Vive pro isn’t an option. 

I think the rift s seems to be the best or simplest option now so I’ve decided.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Actually, I owned the first version of the Reverb that had the flashing display issues. I sent it back. They have since released a revised HMD that has fixed this issue along with overheating. That's the version I now own. I haven't had any problems with it.

NAX669.png

3 hours ago, mwilk said:

Actually, I owned the first version of the Reverb that had the flashing display issues. I sent it back. They have since released a revised HMD that has fixed this issue along with overheating. That's the version I now own. I haven't had any problems with it.

Yep it isn’t available in my country and amazon only has 1 listing that doesn’t ship here either. Read somewhere that new stocks will only come in end of Sept. 

38 minutes ago, TheBoom said:

Yep it isn’t available in my country and amazon only has 1 listing that doesn’t ship here either. Read somewhere that new stocks will only come in end of Sept. 

They also recommend that you get it directly from HP to make sure you don't get one of the older defective units.

NAX669.png