Sign in to follow this  
PilotPete99

Which KORD to get?

Since I have not yet purchased either the FSDT or the DD KORD, and with the DD airports currently on sale, I am hoping to get opinions on which one to get. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

I bought the DD version because:

1) it was on available, on sale and at the time FSDT was not.

2) I did not have to install anything else to make it work. ie: Coualt and GSX, both which are, in my opinion, unnecessary garbage

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

17 minutes ago, PilotPete99 said:

Since I have not yet purchased either the FSDT or the DD KORD, and with the DD airports currently on sale, I am hoping to get opinions on which one to get. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers, Pete

The FSDT version has a free trial period, you can install try it out and then uninstall it if you don’t like it. Might be a good idea to try it and see for yourself rather than relying on other people’s opinions. Plus you can judge the performance for yourself on your rig with your settings.

• Upvote 2

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I only have the fsdt version and I find it has a lot of shimmering on my system at dawn, dusk, and night. For day flying, I like it a lot. But definitely try the demo.

Edited by okupton

Orman

I own both but stayed with the DD version for now. I'll wait for the FSDT daily updates to finish and a professional review by someone before I decided to give it a try. For now the DD version provides me with everything I need to enjoy flying in and out of KORD. The statics and smooth performance are a plus for me.

• Upvote 1

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

I think you probably can't go wrong with either. I own the FSDT version and enjoy it but from what I've seen/heard, the DD version is very nice also. I also use DD Chicago City. I'd install the FSDT trial as someone already suggested and try it out first, then go from there.

I own other DD and FSDT products and am happy with them both. The reason why I went with DD on this occasion is compatibility. Instead of having a FSDT and FlyTampa airport in close proximity and next to FSDT cityscape, all on top of Orbx Global and Vector, I preferred the idea of the two DD products with the Orbx product. 

I am not saying the four different developers wouldn't have worked but plan B just sounded tidier to me.

Two other selling points for me were the inclusion of Midway and the future proofing of the new runway, not sure if FSDT has that?

Edited by Ian S

Ian S

38.jpg

Definitely try the demo of FSDT. That's the only way to know how it will perform for you.

You can't go wrong with either version, but to me, FSDT's looks better.

DD is 'future-proofed' from the beginning, whereas FSDT has said that they will update the runway layout on a occasional basis - they have built the scenery with future updates in mind.

Resolving any shimmering issues:

P.S. Did you ever own KORD v1 by FSDT? There is a generous 20% discount available if you did.

Edited by F737NG
P.S. added

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

9 hours ago, Twenty6 said:

I did not have to install anything else to make it work. ie: Coualt and GSX, both which are, in my opinion, unnecessary garbage

GSX is unnecessary garbage? Crikey! I'm open-mouthed at that opinion.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

i agree.  I like GSX.  I don't like the fact that a developer requires it to be downloaded to use sceneries.  But that's besides the point. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

2 hours ago, F737NG said:

DD is 'future-proofed' from the beginning, whereas FSDT has said that they will update the runway layout on a occasional basis - they have built the scenery with future updates in mind.

I don’t buy the whole, will update the airport as changes are made down the road. Sure we got fixes and even an update to sceneries like KLAS some time ago but there are many other FSDT airports that need major updates due to changes at the airport.  Fort Lauderdale (KFLL) and  Los Angeles (KLAX) being two that come to mind. The new terminal and extended runways at KFLL have been  a long time request by many. Even getting a simple AFCAD update when the airlines switched terminals at LAX  several years ago would have been nice. Thankfully others have made update files and we can use GSX to correct the gate markings for the correct airline. Maybe KORD is the start of future proofing. What I do see is other Devs starting to make updated versions of older FSDT airports. I’m excited for a different KLAX.

Edited by TalonMX
  • Upvote 3

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

i agree.  I like GSX.  I don't like the fact that a developer requires it to be downloaded to use sceneries.  But that's besides the point. 

Wait a minute!! Not to derail the thread, but you must purchase GSX to be able to run FSDT scenery? I was thinking of getting CYVR but I don’t own GSX...

BTW DD scenery seems well priced, I’m on the lookout for a new scenery for the weekend.

Edited by flyinpilot212121

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

2 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

Wait a minute!! Not to highjack the thread, but you must purchase GSX to be able to run FSDT scenery? I was thinking of getting CYVR but I don’t own GSX...

No, you don't need to purchase GSX in order to run a FSDT scenery - and that's not what the OP stated. FSDT downloads GSX modules when you install an FSDT airport, since GSX is available for free at all FSDT airports. There's no fee or charge involved in this.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

1 minute ago, Anders Bermann said:

No, you don't need to purchase GSX in order to run a FSDT scenery - and that's not what the OP stated. FSDT downloads GSX modules when you install an FSDT airport, since GSX is available for free at all FSDT airports. There's no fee or charge involved in this.

Oh ok gotcha...That was a little ambiguous where I thought it was required to be purchased... If they offer GSX for free at all fsdt airports that’s quite decent of the developer to do..Kudos to FSDT

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

GSX is unnecessary garbage? Crikey! I'm open-mouthed at that opinion.

I am still getting up off the floor!

• Upvote 2

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.