Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Aug. 29th : the wing tip pic

Hats off to the dev team!

Anyone noticed the (most probably dynamic reflections) on the cockpit screen - just above that little window you can read mirrored "AUTOMATIC"... and see the metallic reflection on the engine master switch. The cockpit texturing is also excellent - this would be a default aircraft!

Also plausible reflected vegetation on the water (left of the sports field) - much better than in P3D where I switched that off after a short trial as it's full of artifacts.

And the autogen: it really seems to be no photogrammetric but autogenerated trees and houses as the row house texture repeats. But judging by the variety of roof geometries (some are looking a bit odd) they must have some very clever algorithm. And finally the tree density has reached nerly real world values.

So the only concern seems to be how they (and our PCs and internet connections) will handle the enormous data amounts. Even if the sim caches what has been streamed we will need several 10s of TB storage space. And one can speculate that we won't get it delivered for free (after buying the program itself) from MS. I could imaginge that we'll have some basic landclass terrain (that will be needed anyway as there's no good HD satellite imagery for many remote places in the tropics due to cloud cover and lack of interest) and the option to get streaming photogrammetric terrain or photoreal with autogen terrain for some monthly subscription.

Edited by meerkat
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Raymond.Groenendijk said:

Could be, but these transfer depots are actually huge in real life also. Just close the Street View and turn on the satellite view in the link I posted. There's 3D data on that location, so you could also tilt the view a bit and view the actual shape of the buildings. 

Wow! I just noticed that 'street view' even includes some indoor captures from the google cameras. I've never seen that before. :laugh:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

28 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Wow! I just noticed that 'street view' even includes some indoor captures from the google cameras. I've never seen that before. :laugh:

For instance https://www.assortedstuff.com/stuff/11-interesting-places-to-go-inside-with-street-view/ 

There are more. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

6 hours ago, Raymond.Groenendijk said:

Not yet, but I think this one will be particularly hard to find, I've tried but not yet succeeded. There are some hints that might help us to find the place though: 

• The building style looks European I think, though it may also be in Australia??
  • You can see that some houses have pools, so they are probably situated in a warmer climate (southern part of Europe)
  • The area is really flat
  • There is a track nearby as well as transfer depots or greenhouses (which should be easier to see from lower zoom settings)
  • The lakes and river should also be easily visible from high altitudes

Anyone got more hints to help find the place?

On Google maps look for:  les Frappes France.  just 1 km east of that village you find the location. (close to EARL Vignobles MARTIN)

19 minutes ago, hansh said:

On Google maps look for:  les Frappes France.  just 1 km east of that village you find the location. (close to EARL Vignobles MARTIN)

I can't find it there. Could you upload a link?

Edited by Shack95

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

38 minutes ago, hansh said:

good, but it isn´t i think.
In the background of the pic you can see the sea. But in Google Maps it seems to near.

40 minutes ago, hansh said:

It makes sense to be near Bordeaux and the landscape is the same, however I can't find it neither.

How did you find it?

Thank you! It looks very similar, but I think that's not the same place as in the image.

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

28 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

Thank you! It looks very similar, but I think that's not the same place as in the image.

Take a closer look, it definitely is the location you were looking for. 

Zoom in on the MS  picture and see streetnames and road numbers.

Probably MS using more recent maps, as there are more greenhouses on their map then Google maps. Or the other way around ofcourse.

I am referring to the picture you put in this thread, not the wingtip one. Just to be clear.

Edited by hansh
additional info.

The wing-tip pic (full size: https://cdn.microsoftstudios.com/fsi/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Wing-Tip-View.jpg)

is definitely autogen and not photogrammetry. To the left of the wing tip itself, you can see a huge farm building. It seems like the autogen system didn't know what to place there (or the OSM data wasn't good enough) and it's put a generic grey box type building with a repeating roof texture.

Interestingly the trees do look like photogrammetry trees (kind of 'bubbly' and full). However it makes total sense to build a large library of tree meshes from real trees in photogrammetry areas.

If this is representative, it really is next-gen autogen. Fantastic to see that Northern Europe will look great despite the lack of photogrammetry.

Edited by nickhod
  • Like 2

I see a sports field/track that looks similar to the one in the Microsoft photo at those coordinates. It looks very similar, but still somethings... off. The roads don't seem to match. The area also seems not as developed as in the Microsoft screenshot, but yes that may be due to outdated map data (I checked using Earth View).

temp.jpg

Edited by RioPilot
Included a photo

4 hours ago, hansh said:

Look for coordinates:  45.253806 N and 0.6011461 W

There you will find. 

It's a good guess but I don't think that's it.  I can't find any location in that area with roads matching what we see in the screenshot.  I think you might be on the right track though, as it might not be the ocean at the top of the screenshot but rather the large river to the west of Les Frappes.  

4 hours ago, nickhod said:

is definitely autogen and not photogrammetry

I agree it looks like autogen, and it's incredible! 

I want to see what they can do with some other parts of the world, like Manila, check out the "shanty town" areas around the airport and near the river on approach to 06.  Would be amazing if the Azure processing can give a good rendition of this!  Note the flat roofs and variety of colours.

https://www.google.com/maps/@14.4909566,120.9977867,612a,35y,22.79h,56.64t/data=!3m1!1e3

• Like 1

Matthew S