Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Upcoming Tech Alpha

I'm fairly confident that there will be an NDA in effect until the MS team decides to end the embargo.

This was the case with FS2004 and FSX at least, and I don't see any reason why MSFS should be any different.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Developers some on Avsim impose strict NDA on Beta testers so much so you do not know who they are, but they will know if you break it.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 minute ago, rjfry said:

Developers some on Avsim impose strict NDA on Beta testers so much so you do not know who they are, but they will know if you break it.

Precisely on the money. Those who "hope" to be selected will absolutely kill their chances if they've even hinted that they'd be willing to break an NDA. We already know that MSFS team read this forum.

Fr. Bill    

32 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

Good for you. I would like testers to post as many screenshots/videos as they can, I don't care if it's WIP or not.

I take it you have not signed up to the insider program, if you have don't hold the phone they read this forum.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

7 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Precisely on the money. Those who "hope" to be selected will absolutely kill their chances if they've even hinted that they'd be willing to break an NDA. We already know that MSFS team read this forum.

Uh...we just took a really big leap there, didn't we Bill?

I think we said, we'd hope that those participating would be ALLOWED to post, etc.  Let's not pin anyone in a corner needlessly.  I've known you for a while now.  I'm not sure why you'd be posting something like that.

Edited by Jeff Nielsen

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Guys, look both ways before crossing the street, drive as carefully as you can, go to the doctor and check the condition of your heart, don't go putting yourself in danger. Stay alive so you can experience this sim 😄.

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

1 minute ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

Uh...we just took a really big leap there, didn't we Bill?

Not really Jeff. I never said anyone had already said anything out of line, but I thought it prudent to give a big "heads up" for those who might have been inclined to do so... :ph34r:

Fr. Bill    

16 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Not really Jeff. I never said anyone had already said anything out of line, but I thought it prudent to give a big "heads up" for those who might have been inclined to do so... :ph34r:

Let's go ahead and let MS run their program for a few minutes...fair enough?

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

41 minutes ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

I think we said, we'd hope that those participating would be ALLOWED to post, etc

Yes exactly, and that's what I'm saying... I don't expect anyone to break the NDA if they are precluded from disclosing anything.

Of course the T&C of the NDA is unknown and MS can make it as restrictive (or not) as they see fit.

Edited by MatthewS

Matthew S

1 hour ago, Greek said:

People, do you really believe they need anyone to test anything for them?

Erm, yes. I think the fact they are doing at least a tech alpha test suggests they need to test some things. You know like practically every piece of software released ever. 

It’s not about needing any expertise, it’s purely testing lots of different hardware configurations, streaming performance (presumably) and having many more eyes looking out for bugs, for free, in my opinion. 

If it’s like other things I’ve been involved with, the early tests will be quite tightly controlled in terms of what can be shared, with late beta tests having the reigns taken off a bit as it becomes part of the pr machine. 

15 minutes ago, Superdelphinus said:

Erm, yes. I think the fact they are doing at least a tech alpha test suggests they need to test some things. You know like practically every piece of software released ever. 

It’s not about needing any expertise, it’s purely testing lots of different hardware configurations, streaming performance (presumably) and having many more eyes looking out for bugs, for free, in my opinion.

"Tech Alpha test"? The word "test" cannot be found anywhere in the Development Roadmap.

Why do you believe that they need testers that are not Microsoft employees?

19 minutes ago, Greek said:

Why do you believe that they need testers that are not Microsoft employees?

Possibly because it's not our first rodeo.

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I think the fact that they are inviting Alpha testers from the community to test FSX 2020 is a very positive indication about what we can expect here. Looks like they are taking a leaf out of the LM book to me. If it was word not allowed they wouldn't want anyone to know about it until RTM. It reminds me of the W7 release and everyone thought that W7 was the cats pijama's. I applied for alpha, beta testing W7 and got it. And even had, at Microsoft's behest, a Windows 7 release party in my house. It was actually a blast and I got a free copy of W7 ultimate to boot! Please don't excuses the pun. It's deliberate. One of my best.😁 I got other Windows 7 'booty' too. (not I am just pushing it). 🤣I am sure that there will be a DNA for anyone who is selected but MS must be quite confident that any breaches of that DNA will be positive leaks only. I hope I get selected and frankly I won't be a bit surprised if I am and it turns that in hindsight that I was testing Prepar3D V5. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the ducks aren't being put back in a row here.

Edited by Avidean

5 hours ago, n4gix said:

100% agree, I've beta tested for several developers, every one had an NDA, not all the same, some not even allowing me to identify myself as a tester.  Id expect to be slung out in a heartbeat if I violated them in any way.

• Like 2

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

11 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

100% agree, I've beta tested for several developers, every one had an NDA, not all the same, some not even allowing me to identify myself as a tester.  Id expect to be slung out in a heartbeat if I violated them in any way.

That is precisely the point Kevin. In the past MS's NDA has been so restrictive that even mentioning that one was under an NDA was sufficient to cause them to be dropped. I saw this happen in FS2004 and FSX both. I see no reason why they would change now.

Fr. Bill