Sign in to follow this  
Ezra

Present Thoughts on ORBX

5 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

fta2017 said it so well. Mother Stingy (MS) left her stuttering child FSX abandoned to foster care. LM found her, clothed her well and gave her a 64 bit house and raised her  into lady  whose followers grew. Mother Stingy saw and decided to have another sim child. While this kid is still in infancy MS showed pictures of what she hoped her kid would look like when grown and large numbers of Ester Silva Pygmalion's (ESP) fickle fans where quickly drawn to MS forgetting her poor maternal past.

What's this ramble has to do with ORBX? Heck, I don't know. Just the product of insomnia.😑

I guess you could say ORBX deserves credit for being one of the clothers and jewellers that helped make Pygmalion such a gracious lady.

One correction my friend. Mother Stingy didn't abandon her child, she sold him

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Wait an hoping for some solved issues. They will handle it for sure

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

I’ve  slowed my purchased at Orbx over a couple of years. Nothing to do with a so-called focus on XP or the new OC. They just don’t do anymore what I feel like to buy. 

What I liked the most were their fat regions with their hundred of enhanced airports, where I wanted to fly. Their last regions Norway and Germany were of little interest to me and what I want (Japan, southern Rockies, the Alps, Greece, Italy, the Caribbean, Hawaii ) is clearly of zero interest to them.  Open LC ? Very little interest to do Africa and Asia. Announced for the end of the year ? We’ll see. They didn’t release more PNG packages and their lovely Samoas was not followed by any other Pacific scenery. 

Now they remake everything they have done before. They even  speak of a GB 3, a third iteration of the same !

So be it. No complain and I am sure that they have plenty of other customers but I miss good ole OrbX.

EDIT their new Oahu scenery looks good

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

5 hours ago, Afterburner said:

I can't wait for ORBX to release OpenLC Africa and Asia, and ORBX announced that they would release both continents by the end of the year, but does anyone actually believe that?  It's already September, and we have hardly seen any screenshots from Africa, let alone Asia. The latter continent is very huge, and I have a hard time buying into their announcement that it would be ready by the end of this year...  "Next year" sounds more realistic to me.

FTX OpenLC South America  came out on July 27, 2017 and since then, we've been waiting for the next one ! 

• Upvote 1

JPM

I'm a big fan of ORBX and own a lot of their stuff. Guess I will continue to buy when something of interest comes across my way. I'd love to see them doing more of the Rockies.

Dan

• Upvote 1

Wait...are we really throwing tantrums because a developer released something you did not agree with? Who are we to feel so entitled as to demand only products which fit our narrow spectrum of the hobby?

If you don't like it, don't spend your money pretty simple, but to throw a tantrum because they decide to release products for another sim (not a bad idea to diversify your revenue streams, especially with more and more people picking up xplane), or because they are running a contest which requires a product purchase to enter? Plenty of companies do that.

Oh well, I will keep supporting them with the products I choose to pick up and keep being happy with them. Also i purchased TE Oregon and got an entry into the contest so I guess their marketing worked.

• Like 2

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

13 hours ago, CaptainNick said:

Wait...are we really throwing tantrums because a developer released something you did not agree with? Who are we to feel so entitled as to demand only products which fit our narrow spectrum of the hobby?

If you don't like it, don't spend your money pretty simple, but to throw a tantrum because they decide to release products for another sim (not a bad idea to diversify your revenue streams, especially with more and more people picking up xplane), or because they are running a contest which requires a product purchase to enter? Plenty of companies do that.

Oh well, I will keep supporting them with the products I choose to pick up and keep being happy with them. Also i purchased TE Oregon and got an entry into the contest so I guess their marketing worked.

No one here has thrown a tantrum... just folks sharing their concerns about what the new ORBX Central (OC) could do to their systems.  Some had their sims hosed after installing OC, and no one including you would be happy about having their sim hosed.

Where was there any "feeling of entitlement" and demands for products to "fit our narrow spectrum of the hobby"?

If you don't like it, don't spend your money pretty simple... which is what many folks have stated they are doing.  Not one poster here has shown to be upset about ORBX making products for another sim (some, myself included, believe it's smart business they do so).

...they are running a contest which requires a product purchase to enter? Plenty of companies do that.  Yeah, in the U.S. that's a big no-no!

Also i purchased TE Oregon and got an entry into the contest so I guess their marketing worked.  Indeed, it worked on you!  Enjoy your new purchase 🍻.  I won't speak for others here, but I already own a lot of ORBX stuff, which makes it easy for me to spend my simming money elsewhere right now.  Quite simply, there is nothing I'm interested in buying now.  That's no particular knock on ORBX... just the way consumers are.

Cheers,

Greg

I am hanging fire on updating to Central 4

I have a lot to lose-4 very functional sims,FSX,P3Dv4.5,Aerofly and XPlane

There are no great advantages for me  at the moment to compensate for “ taking a chance” on updating to Central 4

Central is now on v 0.12 Update and improving but not “bugless” enough for me yet

I have great faith in Orbyx-they will get there-would like Oregon scenery but  I can wat

xxd09

Edited by xxd09
Spelling

All the bug reporting is making Central 4 super strong.  Technically everyone is huge beta tester for Central 4 (Brilliant strategy - all the crazy sim setups we all have - all those reports make the central 4 better - it will become super stable very fast.  I am happy with the newest build release.  It was come a long way in extremely short manner.  I bet Orbx is getting ready for next few releases of Prepar3d.  

I do get a feeling that LM is going to push all third party to be installed outside the sim (when Orbx fully moves, all the smaller devs will follow suit) - will have to - such is competition.

• Upvote 1

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

22 minutes ago, Reader said:

The original contest was quite simple... buy a product from them and your name (account) was entered for a contest draw.  Once they were reminded of U.S. law (I'm sure other countries also have laws against requiring a purchase to enter a contest), they quickly modified it to be a skills test.  A thread about all this was in their forum.

Mods, can we have a stop to the armchair lawyer posts in this thread please?
The rules to the Orbx competition were changed over a week ago and I feel it's no longer worth anyone's time to wade through the minutiae of US Federal and State laws on the matter - quite a few of us live outside the USA and the original concerns are no longer relevant.

W.r.t. Orbx Central, I agree with the sentiments made earlier.
Despite the improvements already made, Central 4 stays off my PC until I hear that there are no more issues. I installed it once already and was glad to get back to Central 3.
Orbx scenery makes up a huge swathe of my scenery.cfg and it's a time-consuming fix if the layering goes wrong.

• Like 4

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I no longer buy Orbx products because I've bought everything I want that they offer, which is probably somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of what they make. If they offer something down the road that I want, I'll probably buy it. Kinda like PMDG. I don't buy PMDG anymore because I already own everything they make for p3d except the DC-6, which I don't want. If they come out with something I want tomorrow (I really wish they'd do a bizjet. We need a top-end bizjet in this hobby) then I'd buy it.

I do think it a bit short-sighted to cut off buying things for p3d because of what MSFS2020 *might* bring to the table. 2020 is either going to be great, or it's going to suck. There's probably not going to be much in-between.

If it sucks, we're going to want to continue using p3d, and we're going to want good 3rd party developers to keep making stuff for us to buy. That's not going to happen if we refuse to give them any money for a year on the hopes that 2020 will be great because they will go out of business.

And if it *is* great, then we want developers like PMDG and A2A and Flightbeam and Orbx to make stuff for it. If we drive them out of business by refusing to give them any money for a year, that's not going to happen either.

And even if it's great, and all the good developers stay in business, it's still going to be some time before 3rd party products for FS2020 approach the fidelity of products already out for p3d. We're not going to have a PMDG 747 on day 1. I'd bet a lot of money that FS2020 is going to have neat default GA aircraft and pretty visuals, but if we want to get our tubeliner fix, it's going to be a long time before a high-end simulation of one is available.

In short, we're gonna be using p3d for a long time after 2020 comes out even if 2020 is incredible. Might as well get what we want for that platform.

Edited by eslader
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Have you gone to Central 4 or you cannot buy new Orbyx products or get any updates

xxd09