Sign in to follow this  
jlund

How many is still using FS2004, and why?

Two reasons.  

1. All of the addons I have: PMDG MD-11, RFP 747-200, FSNavigator, Leonardo MD, multiple sceneries, etc. that I purchased before I had a PC that could run FSX.

2.  Not having a PC that can run P3D or XPlane 11 with full graphics capabilities (Dell XPS 8300 = not enough room for a bigger power supply = not able to install a more powerful GPU.)

I've made a few concessions - buying FSX-SE to be able to buy AS16, so that I can use CPS-X to do flights for my PSS Concorde; reverting some payware scenery to newer freeware versions for airports that have added new runways, etc.

Hi All,

I agree with so much written on this Thread - particularly by Dillon and Wobie (Robin).

I have a purpose built Wired 2 Fire  setup these days - that wasn't always the case. I also have FSX & P3D plus others but almost exclusively, use FS9 as it does what I want it to do and does it well - Simulate flight.  FS9 has always given good service and performs very well even now.

It is true that Win10 brings with it some challenges - running in full screen being one, however, all in all I can fire it up and complete the particular simulated flight I have in mind on the day.

Currently I'm exploring some of the trips I took in real life in earlier flying. I'm also getting some idea how my father and crew got on during their WWII 'Ops'  in Europe and the Middle East. Even some of their training flights are a real eye opener - and that is just on a Simulated trip with a ' Pause' button and a cup of tea at regular intervals 😉

What a Super hobby, Super Sim FS9,  Super Forum at Avsim and Super Posters sharing their experiences - Thanks to you all.

Blue

I've said it a million times, I use it because it's the best overall sim imo. If there was something better, I'd be using it. I still expect to be using it after MSFS release.

Edited by Skywatcher

Mark Daniels

I have been using FS2004 since 2008, when I was first introduced to it by my plane-spotter friends. Since then, there is no looking back.
I have tried FSX and even X-Plane as these two run well on my rig, however, the complexity and details at which I can run FS2004 is unbeatable.

Running max graphics with almost all the silders switched on to the right side, ORBX, HDEV2, ENVTEX, PMDG, Level-D, CLS, everything works super well with heavy weather scenarios and atleast 80 percent AI traffic. I can never do it in other sims, atleast with the hardware I have.

I have never had any issue with any addon, and even if I did, it was easier to just remove the file from the FS2004 folders and get the sim back into action.

I have no timeline till when I will keep using it, but I think the excitement will go on and on...!

Long Live FS9...Cheers!
N

• Like 1

Though I am no longer flying FS2004, the fact that it still enjoys such attention on this forum 16 years after its release shows that this sim has been one of the most successful PC flight simulators ever made. I have used it until early 2013.

The most positive aspect I remember about FS2004 is its variety of free-and payware add-ons, as well as its rock-solid stability. Very rarely did I experience crashes, and there was no tweaking necessary as in FSX.

I stopped flying FS9 when I got my current rig (specs in signature). However, since I wanted to set FSX to "just a bit prettier than FS9", I installed it and maxed all out (but water, shadows, reflections and Mipmap Bias) to get a reference. With that, fullscreen mode, unlocked FPS, and because of Vsync, I got the smoothest 60 FPS I've ever seen in my life... even at KJFK!😄

Now I need some 1995 AI repaints and flightplans and lots of AFCADs to be back. Thus I won't feel out of place with the RFP 747 and the Dreamfleet 727 that I sorely miss in FSX.

• Like 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

I am still using FS9.

The reason is very simple. I had already bought many addons when FSX came out. Because they were not compatible with FSX I stayed with FS9. (and missed the new train)

The Legendary is fs2004. Because it is A Century of Flight.  If you want to learn aviation go fs9 is best. So you will have millions of variation and flight data.  If you wanna play a game go fsx. Enjoy.  Even if There are number of simulations around but first time i played wright brothers so i was extremely excited. Year 2005. (my first simulation is retal x year about 1992 1993)

I forgot to say River Raid. With atari800xl and commodore64 years 1984 1985

Because of my real world crop dusting past very many moons ago and a later ICT career, I stumbled upon FS95 by pure chance just after it first came out and I was immediately hooked on FS for good. After going through the later FS versions I finally ended up with FS2004, which for me had everything to keep me very busy and especially, off the streets.

Now, more than 15 FS2004 years later, I have a very efficient and completely dedicated Win7 64 bit non internet connected rig, all necessary supporting/maintenance software, a multitude of self expanded/tweaked addon sceneries, aircraft of all sorts and sizes, etc. etc. In short a huge FS2004 (134 Gb), complete with all imaginable bells and whistles and with which I'm still very happy. Even emigrating over to Win10 is problematic, not so  much for my FS2004 itself but predominantly because some of my supporting software will then become problematic as well.

Just the thought of having to begin all over again with/via any of the newest Sims, makes me no longer able to see the forest because of all the trees !!

As far as I'm concerned, long live FS2004 and everything which comes/came with it.

Regards

Hans

• Like 3

FS9 hits the sweet spot between visual fidelity and PC performance in a global civil flight simulator, and that's the main reason it's the only one I use at the moment.

• Like 2

John G.

23 hours ago, hjwalter said:

Because of my real world crop dusting past very many moons ago and a later ICT career, I stumbled upon FS95 by pure chance just after it first came out and I was immediately hooked on FS for good. After going through the later FS versions I finally ended up with FS2004, which for me had everything to keep me very busy and especially, off the streets.

Now, more than 15 FS2004 years later, I have a very efficient and completely dedicated Win7 64 bit non internet connected rig, all necessary supporting/maintenance software, a multitude of self expanded/tweaked addon sceneries, aircraft of all sorts and sizes, etc. etc. In short a huge FS2004 (134 Gb), complete with all imaginable bells and whistles and with which I'm still very happy. Even emigrating over to Win10 is problematic, not so  much for my FS2004 itself but predominantly because some of my supporting software will then become problematic as well.

Just the thought of having to begin all over again with/via any of the newest Sims, makes me no longer able to see the forest because of all the trees !!

As far as I'm concerned, long live FS2004 and everything which comes/came with it.

Regards

Hans

Beautifully written. And your post sums up what most of us FS9'ers feel. Thanks for taking the time to well articulate your position. ❤️

Michael

• Like 3

Reading the myriad problems of MSFS 2020 on the first day of release. I knew this would happen. The growing pains will continue for a while. I just bought a new Alienware unit with a big backpay cheque I got, not because of flightsim but for my music creation software that requires a lot of power. Looking at the Youtube videos over the last while I must say that the graphics blew me away but apparently Asobo left out a lot under the hood. I look at my reliable ol' FS9 and I'm thinking, better (if flawed) ATC , no need to stream anything, great performance, tons of addons and just simply error and worry free flying. It seems right now FS2020 is more a scenery simulator than a flight simulator geared to gamers and I'm not here to bash that, because I know Asobo will make the product grow and improve. I still might get it somewhere down the road but for now I'm totally happy with my 17 year old flight sim. Heck I've even learned how to paint planes and post them at this site in the last month. Making new scenery for FS9 is also something I plan to do in the near future. Long live FS9!

• Like 4