Sign in to follow this  
jlund

How many is still using FS2004, and why?

Thanks to all those that still support & develop for FS2004! 

Still going strong, after 17 years!!

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I tried MSFS2020 on my sons PC today. Beautiful, even at medium settings. But, it has a long way to go

to get me away from FS9. Way too much fun to be had with all the things available for free and the great

payware stuff. FS9 and even FSX are an aviation sandbox for us to play in.

• Like 1

I bought FS2020 this week. Yesterday I installed it on my 4 year old system and I must say Im really impressed. They did a very good job.

I still have fs9 on my system and it will stay there. 

I think FS2020 is going to be my next sim. Im running it on medium specs and I get around 40-50 fps and that is making me very happy. I will invest in a new system in the future and I will start expanding it from this base. 

I is time to move on. I say this with a bleeding heart because after 15 years of fs9, it was not easy to make this decision. 

I'm coming back to fly flight sims and FSX AND FS9 are installed. Actually FS2020 hype has caught me and until I see that FS2020 has been patched up to a point that is very playable (will probably wait for PMDG/FSLabs to arrive there first). FS9 I like it because even at that time I flied FS9 I could generate AI traffic with any AI Aircraft type with a very large number and still the FPS was pretty good. Imagine in today's PCs specs. I plan to reinstall and fly again FS9 because I want WWII bombers and fighters as AI traffic and lots of retro aircraft ranging from WW1 to the latest Military fighters and bombers. Pan AM, TWA etc will never stop flying on my PC. There is no such thing as "retired" aircraft there...

On 9/3/2019 at 10:38 AM, Camsdad13 said:

I got FS9 before it was officially released. I’ve accumulated a ton of Freeware and Payware for it. When I first got it, like all other MSFS releases it struggled on my system. The last 10 years it’s been fluid, no issuQuotees, and looks incredible especially with my ORBX textures converted. I’m able to use every option and run everything to the max.

So to recap, FS9 is the most fluid for me. It offers the freeware (gauges, panels like RFP and such) I use where FSX and P3D don’t. I’ve tweaked it to my version of perfection. I can’t use FSX with all features 15 years after release. I can’t use the freeware I’ve enjoyed. I’ll have to buy payware again. P3D basically same reasons as FSX. Until I’m able to achieve the same fluidity and have panels and aircraft I fly usable in those sims, I’ll be staying with FS9. Both FSX and P3D offer a lot more eye candy but at the expense of giving up why I love the hobby. 

Edit: I forgot to add I have AI out the wazoo. Built up years of AI aircraft and flight plans from all over the world. I change them out as they merge in real life. I update flightplans as they come about. I can taxi around ATL using Imagine Sim ATL with AI at 100% with fluidity and frame rates maxed to what my display will allow. 

Where can you get FS9 these days?

Asking for...er...a friend...

On 8/20/2020 at 10:08 PM, romanus said:

I tried MSFS2020 on my sons PC today. Beautiful, even at medium settings. 

Lucky you. All I got was a CTD fest and the visuals my system was able to provide were nothing to write home about. I'll keep with my current sims, FS9 included.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

I tried MFS 2020 over the last few weeks, and although there is a good foundation for a future flight sim, it doesn’t seem ready for airline operations on modest hardware right now.  Back to FS9 for me.

John G.

Yay!!!

Take away the eye candy scenery & bling from MSFS, & you, in my opinion, have a bunch of mediocre GA  planes, & battle to control them, as well as a huge financial outlay.

Yes, you can fly over your house,  but really?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

I haven't used FS9 since 2007, but I still miss big airports packed full of 100's of AI planes, parked, taxiing, landing, taking off, and the sim running high FPS and smooth. This is one of the last screens I took before going to FSX. I never could run FSX with this many AI planes at a big airport, even with a new high-end computer.

fs9-2007.jpg

Edited by desbean
  • Upvote 1

On 9/2/2019 at 8:22 PM, jlund said:

I'm kinda surprised to see under new files that almost everyday there's new files for FS2004, both repaints, sceneries, utils etc.

Why do people still use it?

I think it's great to keep old sims alive, but I think most PC systems today are capable of running FSX (FSX SE) or even P3D, so what's keeping people from updating to  a newer sim, which have  much better graphics?

Are there still companies that develop for FS2004?

It is a superb ! 

1 hour ago, chiastra said:

It is a superb ! 

In what way?

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

1 hour ago, chiastra said:

It is a superb ! 

And it works, & we have a horse, car boat, skier, fish, bulldozer, F1 racing cars, submarines, space ships, (Enterprise to Borg), sloping runways & ramps..

Not forgetting Fun, Facts & Fantasy, multiple installs, support from the best designers, normal PC's & laptops, the list goes on..

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

2 minutes ago, jlund said:

In what way?

Read the above posts..

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...