Sign in to follow this  
jlund

How many is still using FS2004, and why?

31 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

we have a horse, car boat, skier, fish, bulldozer, F1 racing cars, submarines, space ships,

Ok, I get it, you want a game, not a simulator.

32 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Fun, Facts & Fantasy, multiple installs, support from the best designers, normal PC's & laptops, the list goes on..

And you can't get that in FSX or P3D?

And no, I can't really see any reason to stay on an outdated game, when most PC's can run FSX and P3D much better, with way better graphics and addons

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

Just now, jlund said:

Ok, I get it, you want a game, not a simulator.

And you can't get that in FSX or P3D?

And no, I can't really see any reason to stay on an outdated game, when most PC's can run FSX and P3D much better, with way better graphics and addons

Why is it outdated?

So far ALL the sims, without exception, comes from & came from A GAMING studio. First we had ACES (FS9 & FSX) then Dovetail, the guys that gave you fishing games, then we have Asobo, with more than 15 games under their belts, ALL licensed for entertainment.

Better add-ons? We have, for us here in South Africa, the iconic Avro Shackleton, better& more accurate than the freeware Shack for FSX, Aeroworx freeware scenery, better than any other, the Piaggo Albat,, as I said before, multiple installs, a complete Space environment..

We are not lessor simmers, just because we do not fly PMDG & 'Busses, or by the numbers, or so-call study level aircraft. They should be called Complex, not study level... We can get away with laptops & 'normal 'PC's. We have nothing to prove by enjoying what we do, with what we have. Whilst you are on the continual search for the holy grail of sims.

We had a young femael pilot visit us at our clubhouse, one day, as she was offered a job with DHL, flying into Luton, so she came to practice landings. So we set up a freeware Boeing & freeware Luton scenery for her. She got the job.

We have 3 sims built up, a Harvard, an AerMacci MB326 twin seater, that was usewd here in South Africa as a trainer, & an Avro Shackleton.

Whenever pilots fly these, they 'bump' in their seats, anticipating touchdown. We are using Celeron PC's 4GB ram, integrated graphics, FS2004 with freeware scenery.

Such is the immersion! Would better add-ons be actually better? nope, non existant.. Better graphics? actually, not really.

So, FS9, for many of us, hits the sweet spot!!! 

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

6 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

We are not lessor simmers, just because we do not fly PMDG & 'Busses

No, but  a horse, car boat, skier, fish, bulldozer, F1 racing cars, submarines, space ships, what has that to do with flightsimming?

Jorn Lundtoft

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

20 minutes ago, jlund said:

No, but  a horse, car boat, skier, fish, bulldozer, F1 racing cars, submarines, space ships, what has that to do with flightsimming?

Well, the great Bill Lyons used to have a story with his add-on aircraft, that you land at an airport, drive to the coast, sail across the river or whatever, & drive to the next airport. A proper little story, Not the usual boring Point to Point flying. Lionheart, with his Bugatti Adventure, had a similar story, driving a Bugatti car to get to an airport to fly the Bugatti aircraft during the war years. His other great add-on was Operation Valkyrie, a story about a new pilot on the Luftwaffe, the missions he flew, secret submarine bases, a Kubelwagen to get around.Bill Lyons also had his LZ127, with AI trains, people pulling the Zeppelin out of the hanger. Space? Car Reddin has a great Space scenery add-on, simulating non gravity flight. Racing cars? Well, we had F1 on-line racing. Much fun. If a developer takes time to develop something interesting, he has my support. Bulldozer. Ah well, just for the fun of it, as for the fish!! There is also a Flying Pumpkin that Aeroplane Heaven, I'm sure you've heard of them, released for Halloween, many years ago.

Oh, we also have The Ford Tri-Motor Project, freeware by the late Garry Smith, Now THAT is a whole story there. Ramps, sloping runways, Fordlandia (goggle what that is), Black Hawk Project, Swiss hanger hidden in a mountain..China & India Golden Age airports.. 

If you enjoy the point to point flying, great. Some of us FS9'ers have been in the hobby for 20 plus years, been there, done that..

We can also navigate using drift meters, sextants & radio range beacons.. Can you FSX'ers? 

Sounds like a TED Talk.. 🙂

Edited by Wobbie
  • Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

I have been flight simming since v2 back in 1984, so I have also taken the long road with owning every version of MS Flightsimulator up to P3Dv4.3. I also have XP11 & Aerofly 2, but not MSFS (yet!) 

At the moment I don't have ANY flightsim on my PC, and I don't mind waiting for them to fix some of the more serious problems, before I buy it.

But I have never stuck with a version, when I can see the next one was better, and even though my PC is about 6-7 years old, it still did a good job running P3D, and I'm pretty sure it also will run MSFS when that time comes.

Jorn Lundtoft

Why dont you have a look at FlightGear?

It's a freeware open source sim, with great scenery, very nice indeed, a good selection of planes as well.

It's a flight sim, anything that flies, & their Shuttle is amazing.. 

Just because it's free does not make it bad.. It's worth a look, if you have time.

https://www.flightgear.org/

https://www.flightgear.org/category/tours/

Edited by Wobbie
  • Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

I agree totally with Robin. Remember jlund, this is the FS2004 forum. We don't need no missionaries here! (Jørn, dit spørsmål er bare for dumt her.)

And the question was: "How many is still using FS2004, and why?"

and not not: Why do you regret, not using FS2004 any more. (btw. Ciastra, this mistake is reversible...)

Dedl

Edited by Dedl
  • Like 2

There are many sites where you will find a lot more FS2004 activity than here at Avsim. It has been a while since we have seen new add-ons here, while the other site are very well supported with new add-ons by great freeware developers, The lack of FS2004 popularity on Avsim is not an indication that FS2004 has lost it's popularity, by any stretch of imagination..

• Like 2

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

The guy is a mentally challenged burp at best. Dedl don't entertain him with facts and reasoning, Simply ignore him my friend.

Mitch

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PebbleBeach said:

The guy is a mentally challenged burp at best. Dedl don't entertain him with facts and reasoning, Simply ignore him my friend.

Mitch

Talkin' about me? 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Oh, I forgot about the great add-in called Lunar Pilot from www.things-to-come.com

It's a Lunar Landing Research Vehicle (LLRV) simulation and comes with a P-51, 2x LLRV's, a city & a building that has an interior that simulates a lunar surface.

That hardly explains the add-on, but there are reviews & pictures on the net!

Edited by Wobbie
  • Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

1 minute ago, PebbleBeach said:

Obviously no. But if I was?

But you not, and we will never know.. 🙂

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

"The guy is a mentally challenged burp at best"  Do you always talk to people like that, then we might discuss who's the mentally challenged.

Why do people react like that, just for asking a legit question? I've never said people can't use whatever sim they want, I was sincerly interested in why they prefer an old sim, when most modern PC's are caplable of running sims with better graphics and more advanced addons. So no reason for name calling.

Jorn Lundtoft

As you've been told before, please read the previous pages from 1 to 6 and you will get enough answers to your question, Jørn.

Dedl