Sign in to follow this  
jlund

How many is still using FS2004, and why?

I still use fs9 as for me I have way too much tied up in software add ones to go to a new version. I have a computer that I would need to build new or upgrade parts to run the lastest and greatest. At 51 I do not spend as much time gaming as I used to as my kids are now older and I spend time with them. When they were younger I had more free time to sit at my computer and fly daily. NOw I might do it bi weekly.

I have no real interrst to upgrade as it works for me.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 9:30 PM, jlund said:

I was sincerly interested in why they prefer an old sim, when most modern PC's are caplable of running sims with better graphics and more advanced addons..

Why they prefer? I can't talk for all FS9 simmers, but in my case, the answer is very simple. As long as we can't see people doing things with other sims what still could be done with FS9, there is no need to change. So I'm patiently waiting to see equal creations from normal simmers - not professional developers.

14989700497_7f5aee5742_b.jpg

Bernard

• Like 1

Ahhh, Paris....

Is that a TU-114? Big thing & great to fly!!

Civillian Bear?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

My PC can't run "sims with better graphics and more advanced addons". Until I have one that can, it's going to be FS9. And if I never really get around to a new PC, then I have plenty of options for FS9. Aside from the drive full of tons of freeware scenery and planes, there are still plenty of great payware options also.

What I get a kick out of is how people have jumped on the shiny new bandwagon and talk about the sims that have sustained us up to recently as if they are pure garbage.

I look forward to having a machine that will allow me to enjoy both the new MSFS and X-Plane. One thing I don't like about PC games these days is how some are dependent on a connection. I guess it could be my age(55), but I like having the physical media on disk, and updates/patches saved to a USB/external drive.

• Like 1

I agree with you! I also do not care for the dependent internet connection of modern games. I suppose it is the best way to combat piracy for developers. 

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

8 hours ago, Wobbie said:

Ahhh, Paris....

Is that a TU-114? Big thing & great to fly!!

Civillian Bear?

It's the 1961 Paris Air Show. All planes are static AI with an Afcad for each ensuring to be placed as they really where..

Bernard

On 10/1/2020 at 7:11 PM, Wobbie said:

And it works, & we have a horse, car boat, skier, fish, bulldozer, F1 racing cars, submarines, space ships, (Enterprise to Borg), sloping runways & ramps..

Not forgetting Fun, Facts & Fantasy, multiple installs, support from the best designers, normal PC's & laptops, the list goes on..

Yes !!!

On 10/3/2020 at 9:30 PM, jlund said:

"The guy is a mentally challenged burp at best"  Do you always talk to people like that, then we might discuss who's the mentally challenged.

Why do people react like that, just for asking a legit question? I've never said people can't use whatever sim they want, I was sincerly interested in why they prefer an old sim, when most modern PC's are caplable of running sims with better graphics and more advanced addons. So no reason for name calling.

We do not see it as an 'old' sim. We see it as a very mature sim, that is well supported, that works on a huge range of PC's, old & modern.

Actually, FS2004 has developers that have given us really advanced add-ons that are not seen in FSX.. Sloping runways, ramps, RAF Red Arrows where you 'fly' formations' & can change the layout of them. & as for the confusing 'S' & 'A' view changing in FSX, for me, it was always a mission to get to my default view. 

Anyway...

• Like 2

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Is anybody still using Squawk box 4 and VATSIM's Pilot Clients for voice. If so which pilot client are you using.

nebojsa

On 10/10/2020 at 6:25 AM, JAT said:

Is anybody still using Squawk box 4 and VATSIM's Pilot Clients for voice. If so which pilot client are you using.

nebojsa

I use swift pilot client. has issues but works

After using Squawk-box forever with no issues , it is hard to give it up .I have tried swift a few times, nice program but i notice at least on my pc it  eats some of  frames. If i want voice then i know i will have to give up Squawk-box, but it will be hard to give it up.

nebojsa

In answer to the actual original post? Because it may actually be the most magical edition of the franchise ever. The leap from 2000 was astronomical at the time. And I still haven't lost that wonder. I've had some of my most breathtaking moments on a PC using FS9. Some of my most favourite aircraft in the world have become a virtual reality, the first aircraft that I ever flew on, a Hawker Siddley 748 was flyable!! The world literally opened up the day I discovered that there were such things as add on aircraft and scenery, and that was all on good old FS9. In fact , I've never used FSX. I know! I havent been near a flight sim in 5 years and now I have popped back, I'm about to port over to a 10 year old sim like its brand new, but I know that I'll load up FS9 on a separate partition just to have all the magical addons. but its personal with FS9. The journey that people have gone through. The tweaking....constantly, the magic bullets, the loading and reloading into the early hours of the morning. At the time , the technological advances in GPU, CPU etc. The ludicrously complex way you'd set your PC up just because it was the most temperamental sim of all time. The rabbit hole you'd dissappear into of DLLs , scenery files, textures. Ridiculous! If I had put as much concentration and intensity into my actual job..... Not even to mention the strides in aircraft complexity. Give me the Level D 767 for the rest of my life and tell me its the only aircraft that I can use and I'll be quite content. I think some people in the simming world lose their magic, the expectation of perfection. The next new thing. And like in life, a classic is a classic for many reasons. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, georgetyrrell said:

In answer to the actual original post? Because it may actually be the most magical edition of the franchise ever. The leap from 2000 was astronomical at the time. And I still haven't lost that wonder. I've had some of my most breathtaking moments on a PC using FS9. Some of my most favourite aircraft in the world have become a virtual reality, the first aircraft that I ever flew on, a Hawker Siddley 748 was flyable!! The world literally opened up the day I discovered that there were such things as add on aircraft and scenery, and that was all on good old FS9. In fact , I've never used FSX. I know! I havent been near a flight sim in 5 years and now I have popped back, I'm about to port over to a 10 year old sim like its brand new, but I know that I'll load up FS9 on a separate partition just to have all the magical addons. but its personal with FS9. The journey that people have gone through. The tweaking....constantly, the magic bullets, the loading and reloading into the early hours of the morning. At the time , the technological advances in GPU, CPU etc. The ludicrously complex way you'd set your PC up just because it was the most temperamental sim of all time. The rabbit hole you'd dissappear into of DLLs , scenery files, textures. Ridiculous! If I had put as much concentration and intensity into my actual job..... Not even to mention the strides in aircraft complexity. Give me the Level D 767 for the rest of my life and tell me its the only aircraft that I can use and I'll be quite content. I think some people in the simming world lose their magic, the expectation of perfection. The next new thing. And like in life, a classic is a classic for many reasons. 

Well said

nebojsa