Sign in to follow this  
Tomahawk_pa38

Lost Addon Scenery

Ive been using fs2004 recently with no problems then all of a sudden today I can't access any addon scenery.  I get this message for all of them (about 30 files)  on start up. Scenery.cfg error. Remote Scenery Directory C; (then the filename) not found.  The only thing different I have done recently is to install FS Global weather but can't see how that would affect it.  Any ideas or fixes please?

Hi thanks - no not yet as I've used FS2004 a few times since the weather install and it was OK.  But I may have to if there are no other suggestions.

Did you check the path i.e. (local=....) in your addon sceneries in the scenery.cfg to see if there were any changes?  Usually if FS cannot find a scenery its because the path is incorrect.

Thanks Steve - not sure what you mean.  I've just downloaded Scenery Config Editor and looking in their it does say that either 'the path does not exist' or 'the path is non-unique' although they are listed in file explorer Ok and they are all listed in the FS 2004 Scenery Library.

The line in the scenery.cfg that begins with Local= is actually a shortened path that shows FS where the scenery folder that contains the .bgl files is located.  

For example the line:

Local=Addon Scenery/KOAK

can be translated as the path for the .bgl files: 

FS9/Addon Scenery/KOAK/scenery  (but note that although this scenery folder is not listed, it must be present in the KOAK folder).

I would check your scenery.cfg file to see if the missing addon sceneries have a valid path. Do you have a backup or old scenery.cfg file? If so, compare the entries for your missing sceneries to see if anything has changed in the .cfg file. 

Fixed it thanks. Used Scenery Config Editor and for some reason the file paths were completely wrong for the files in question.  Changed them manually back and all now works fine.  Be interesting to see if it happens again as if it does the finger is pointing at FS Global weather.  Thanks for your help.

• Upvote 1

When your Sim is working well again, it's a perfect moment to make a backup of your scenery.cfg... or better the whole Flight Simulator.

Dedl

You can put the backup scenery.cfg in the place where the broken one is, replace it and everything will be fine as before.

Dedl

It depends on what kind of add ons you have. For me, it works fine.

Dedl

On 9/5/2019 at 8:46 PM, Tomahawk_pa38 said:

Many thanks all but is there any advantage to backing up the entire fs system please?

Just the normal benefits that come with having a backup.

Corrupt files, a new addon's installer overwriting stuff, a broken hard drive, modifications that went wrong, experimenting with new settings... When everything goes tango alpha, restoring your preferred setup is a lot easier with a full backup. I don't know how complex your FS installation is but a lot of simmers would probably rether chew off their own foot than try a complete rebuild from scratch.

D

Edited by Dave Morgan

22 hours ago, Dave Morgan said:

tango alpha

Uniform...

Why can't I edit?

Edited by Dave Morgan
have yet to learn the alphabet